TB Forest assets all faulty

boc61

I have a whole bunch of these, all on the DLS and all coming up faulty with multiple "Alias mesh not found " warnings for each one. Also there are TB grass assets that flag faulty when updated. What gives?

Missing mesh libraries at a guess.

Quick check

<kuid2:19691:100014:2> Tb Forest Library
<kuid2:19691:100014:1> Tb Forest Library
<kuid:19691:100014> Tb Forest Library

<kuid2:19691:100011:2> Tb Grass Library
<kuid2:19691:100011:1> Tb Grass Library
<kuid:19691:100011> Tb Grass Library

Missing mesh libraries at a guess.

Quick check

<kuid2:19691:100014:2> Tb Forest Library
<kuid2:19691:100014:1> Tb Forest Library
<kuid:19691:100014> Tb Forest Library

<kuid2:19691:100011:2> Tb Grass Library
<kuid2:19691:100011:1> Tb Grass Library
<kuid:19691:100011> Tb Grass Library

MY CM shows the most recent versions of the libraries are all installed

MY CM shows the most recent versions of the libraries are all installed

Hmm in which case they probably aren't configured for TANE upwards, I actually remember deleting all the TB stuff shortly after downloading, probably as I don't waste time on faulty stuff.

So, had a look, mesh library configs do not list the meshes, just one dummy mesh, so they are never going to work other than in TS12.

I have a whole bunch of these, all on the DLS and all coming up faulty with multiple "Alias mesh not found " warnings for each one. Also there are TB grass assets that flag faulty when updated. What gives?

Open each asset and change
<kuid2:19691:100014:1> or <kuid:19691:100014> in the mesh table and kuid table:

To: <kuid2:19691:100014:2>

John

It is the only one installed.

In that case you have to dig a little deeper.

Open one of the faulty assets. You will see in config.txt something like

{
mesh "1/106.im"
mesh-asset <kuid:19691:100014>
auto-create 1
mesh-season 0
}

Open the library for editing. You will see in the folder a list of files ending in '.im'.

Make sure that each reference to the mesh in the faulty asset matches a '.im' file name in the library folder. It is likely a consistent spelling or formatting error. If necessary, change the faulty asset to match.

Tested this myself just now. I downloaded 2 forest assets;

<kuid:888348:100039> Tb Forest S 004-10 and
<kuid:888348:100040> Tb Forest S 020.

They caused 2 versions of the Tb Forest Library to also download;

<kuid:19691:100014> and
<kuid2:19691:100014:2>

With both libraries present, the forest assets were faulty. Running a database rebuild did not eliminate the faults. Deleting the older version of the mesh library resolved the faults. The faults were genuine in that the required meshes were not in the earlier version of the mesh library, but are in the later version. So it seems that only by deleting the earlier mesh library can we force the asset to find and use the later version.

Doesn't this mean the kuid2 obsoleting system isn't working as it should? Surely, it should be automatically using the latest version, without any forcing?

(Just a side note about the trees. They go snowy in December/January even when below the snowline. In other words, the author doesn't understand how the seasonal system is meant to work).

Last edited:
Doesn't this mean the kuid2 obsoleting system isn't working as it should? Surely, it should be automatically using the latest version, without any forcing?

I don't see that as the problem, but if it fixes it then that's all to the good.

The issue you have described is a known bug in recent versions. If there are two copies of a library that are inconsistent in mesh names, then any assets that depend on that library will be marked as faulty. The solution is to delete all versions except the latest and then, if necessary, update any assets that still use the mesh names from the earlier version.

The explanation given for the bug is that it is necessary in order to eliminate the problem of people failing to update the library when they download a newer version of the dependent asset that uses the new library mesh names but retains the older library version number! Creating a different, and somewhat obscure, error to eliminate another more obvious error seems like a backward step.

(Just a side note about the trees. They go snowy in December/January even when below the snowline. In other words, the author doesn't understand how the seasonal system is meant to work).
I have noticed that assets use 2 different wintering methods. One that you mentioned makes it winter/not winter based on the altitude setting. The other method is based on the time of year regardless of snowline settings. I suppose these methods are the discretion of the asset creators. I have seen a couple hybrids where below the line is controlled by the calendar, and above winters them out all year. I don't know if "meant to work" has a writ in stone definition or not.

I have noticed that assets use 2 different wintering methods. One that you mentioned makes it winter/not winter based on the altitude setting. The other method is based on the time of year regardless of snowline settings. I suppose these methods are the discretion of the asset creators. I have seen a couple hybrids where below the line is controlled by the calendar, and above winters them out all year. I don't know if "meant to work" has a writ in stone definition or not.

If assets don't use the snowline method to toggle snow and just use the calendar (i.e. winter skin is snowy), you can get the situation where trees turn snowy in parts of the world that don't have snow in winter.

While the season-selector config code obviously allows creators to make that mistake (i.e. it doesn't trigger a hard fault message), N3V's seasonal assets use the snowline method and the Wiki contains the express instruction; "If you wish to use "snow" on your asset use the Snowline options, not the Winter options" (on this page here). That's how it's "meant to work".

Last edited:
Today I went in and deleted all the TB assets and re downloaded them. As stated above, both versions of the library installed and they were faulty. I deleted the older version and the errors were cleared. I "thought" I only had the latest version of the library before, but maybe I was wrong, which I often am. In any event problem solved, thanks for the input.

(snipped)...the Wiki contains the express instruction; "If you wish to use "snow" on your asset use the Snowline options, not the Winter options" (snipped). That's how it's "meant to work".
Roger that. Something learned today by me. Funny thing is, the trees I place are hybrid. They flower for spring, full canopy for summer, color up for autumn, and strip bare for winter with no snow/ice. Drop the snowline and every tree above goes bare and white. Best of both worlds IMO.

Roger that. Something learned today by me. Funny thing is, the trees I place are hybrid. They flower for spring, full canopy for summer, color up for autumn, and strip bare for winter with no snow/ice. Drop the snowline and every tree above goes bare and white. Best of both worlds IMO.

Exactly. That’s the standard “seasons + snow” system that N3V want creators to adopt for trees that can exhibit all those changes.

I noticed that one of the examples in the Wiki even allowed for different snowlines at different times of year (if I read it correctly) which is an even more complex configuration. At the other extreme, you can do buildings and vehicles that only need one regular skin and one snowy alternative, no seasons.

So it’s a very flexible system, but one that can sometimes be misunderstood.

Exactly. That’s the standard “seasons + snow” system that N3V want creators to adopt for trees that can exhibit all those changes.

I noticed that one of the examples in the Wiki even allowed for different snowlines at different times of year (if I read it correctly) which is an even more complex configuration. At the other extreme, you can do buildings and vehicles that only need one regular skin and one snowy alternative, no seasons.

So it’s a very flexible system, but one that can sometimes be misunderstood.
These do exist too a small degree. Had static trucks that wintered over above the snow line. Can't remember if they changed with the months tough. Tripped over them while trying a winter wonderland route creation once in TANE.

TB trees and missing items...

I've been playing around with changing the background trees (and there are tons of them) on the BC&SJ route from st_rmm trees to billboard trees for performance reasons.

In the process I've run into the OP's problem in spades.

Is there another family of high-performance trees that does come with the library version issues baggage of the tb forest series of trees?

I'd expect that future sharing of the BC&SJ route would be much smoother if the installee didn't have to mess with tb forest library versions!

Horace

I've been playing around with changing the background trees (and there are tons of them) on the BC&SJ route from st_rmm trees to billboard trees for performance reasons.

In the process I've run into the OP's problem in spades.

Is there another family of high-performance trees that does come with the library version issues baggage of the tb forest series of trees?

I'd expect that future sharing of the BC&SJ route would be much smoother if the installee didn't have to mess with tb forest library versions!

Horace

Clam1952 (Malc) made some billboard trees that work well without these issues. They are generically named like Tree53a, etc. but you'll get used to which ones you want and don't want to use. If you are interested, also look at his bushes CL Bush xx, etc.,

Back