How can I choose a object from a stack of objects on a route in Surveyor?

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
I have a large industry which is a static scenery object. To make the industry interactive I have added a BI2 industry item to the track which goes to the cover loading bay. This screenshot shows how it looks:

Building-scenery-structure-object--with-a-BI2-Canning-track-object.jpg

The problem is that I cannot access the BI2 Industry to configure it as any attempt to do with the ? or "Edit Properties" button in the Objects tab only shows the building object itself, and not the BI2 Object.

In a situation where objects are essentially stacked, as they are here, how can I choose from among them the specific one I want?

Bob

You could shift the building aside for long enough to program your industry track, then move it back. That's what I generally do, but mostly I lay the industry track away from the building. program it, then move it into position.

What I did was made a new layer called temp. Then I assign the big building that is in the way to that layer. Then hide the layer. Then you can adjust the BI2 object. When done turn the layer back on. You can also move the building back to the route layer unless you plan on adjusting the BI2 again.

What I did was made a new layer called temp. Then I assign the big building that is in the way to that layer. Then hide the layer. Then you can adjust the BI2 object. When done turn the layer back on. You can also move the building back to the route layer unless you plan on adjusting the BI2 again.

This is gr8 idea also.

Something I started doing is have a layer named "buildings" that my main structures go on. Then when doing the fine detail work around the building, I just lock that layer so I can freely move and place small items around it.

Thanks all for the replies and help!

It is unfortunately that N3V does not provide a simple way of selecting a single object from a stack as many other games and simulations do. Oh well it looks like from the consensus that layers is the only option for me at present. :(

Bob

I have learned to use layers and I would not be without them now.
BUT and it's a big BUT, there is no visual in-game indication of which layer you are working on, a subject that has been in many threads before this one.
So, don't be like me and put items in the wrong layer by mistake.
A lot of objects can be moved to a different layer in the Main Menu / Bulk Asset Update/Replace.
But sod's law dictates that the objects you want to move can't be moved except manually.

Yeah I did that the other day. I had to hide something and it was still on my temp layer when I started adding tracks. About 30 minutes worth of track. Then I went to adjust a MIN I added under a building on my temp layer. When I hit the eyeball, all my tracks went too. Took me an hour or so to put all of it back to the route layer. So when your playing with layers, be sure to go back and look at the list to see which layer is highlighted before you start adding more assets.

I use a simple layer called HOLD!!!. Anything I need to freeze or hide temporarily, I move to this layer. I can then do what I have to such as place stuff on docks and platforms. In this instance, I would hide the building temporarily by moving it to a hidden layer. Get the info about the BI industry track I need, then unhide the building again by showing the layer and moving the building back to the route layer.

I agree with Graham, we need some kind of indicator which layer is active and which mode we're in as well when editing. All we need to do is get a phone call or get interrupted and we then forget where we are which as we know leads to messy things. When we were asked about what are some features and things that are considered priority projects, I said this is one of them.

I use a method similar to John's, except that you don't have to move the object (blocking the industry track) to another layer.

Create a new layer and call it "Hold-Layer" or whatever name you wish. Hide this layer.

Open "Objects F3", highlite the question mark, and click on the object that is blocking the industry track.

In the upper right corner of the properties box, change the "Bound Layer" from <none> to Hold-Layer", and close the properties box.

The object disappears giving you access to the industry track that you want to set up.

After making changes to the industry track, open the "Layers" tab and click on "Show Layer".

The object reappears and you are ready to run a consist to to the industry track.

This may seem like a lot of work, but keep in mind, you don't have to edit the industry track each time you use it. There is one drawback. Each time you close and restart Trainz, you have to redo the bound-layer in the objects properties box if you wish to use it to make changes. This only adds one additional step to the process, but it would be nice to be able to save it permanently.

This solution appeared in the Forum awhile back, but I haven't been able to find it.

Joe

Definitely very similar, Joe - a variation on the same theme.

It would be helpful if we had an asset-history stack we could access. A history list could show us the assets we've recently placed or selected on a route and what layer they are used on plus a switch to hide or unhide a recently placed asset. If we need to quickly move an asset, or hide a selected asset, opening up the asset-history and toggling that asset would be easily done.

It would be helpful if we just simply clicked on the OBJECT and modify/manipulate/set-up WITHOUT having to mess with Layers. IMHO, if we click the arrow "button" on an OBJECT then that object should be there for us to work on, even if it's near a building or whatever. Same with junctions. If you try to throw a switch and it, too, is near a building, then it's a no go. I know you can use the "J" key to throw the switch, but what if there are several switches in a row you need to change.

Personally, I rarely use layers and I wish there was an option to work on a route either with layers turned on or off. I've lost work on a route because I forgot about the layers and forgot to merge them before I saved the route. Goofy things can happen. In photoshop and illustrator, I couldn't work without layers, but the thing is, if you try to save something, and you forgot to merge (flatten the image), photoshop and illustrator will let you know really quick!

I do as #2 suggest. Is the easiest way. Problem is to return the building to the exact position. So, you place a light pole or something else right exactly on a corner of the building. Move the building away. Manipulate whatever you could'nt, return the building to match the exact place where the pole is at the right corner. That's it.

I do as #2 suggest. Is the easiest way. Problem is to return the building to the exact position. So, you place a light pole or something else right exactly on a corner of the building. Move the building away. Manipulate whatever you could'nt, return the building to match the exact place where the pole is at the right corner. That's it.

Yeppers, I've done that before, too. Bunches of times.

I agree with Dave Snow in post #12. It seems large objects override the point of the mouse arrow when pointed exactly at a smaller object. There must be some "object space" that is overriding, but it seems like it should focus on your actual arrow point.

Clicking object using the ? opens a window. Click the layer window's arrows, find the layer you set up to hide and close the window. In the layers tool, you hide. Since you are already using the ? to get to your BI2 or MIN and you can't, click the building. It is very easy to do. I tried moving the buildings out of the way and it is aggravating to get it back in the right place. Hiding does not give me any aggravation. And when I want to change it again or add another commodity, a few clicks and back to it. I just leave all these buildings on the HIDE layer. To each their own.

Sometimes you want the building to be there, like arranging shop equipment inside a locomotive shop. You have to know where the tracks and walls are. Or sometimes I am trying to arrange hangars near an airport but I can't because the airpord pad takes all the focus. Or I am trying to arrange an aircraft on the pad, but you can't get it to select. If the pad has any thickness the landing wheels may be sunk in and the aircraft needs to be raised. Nope, can't select it. Having to hide and unhide stuff all the time would get awfully tedious if you can''t just select what is at the point of your mouse arrow. I am definitely with Dave on this....

Back