is there an asset of a person holding a token ?

Not really, Dangavel, In your photo, the loco is going the other way, so in fact, it will leave his hand over his thumb, not his fingers.

Not everyone in the real world gets it the right way round, most of the time nothing bad happens but having seen what can happen it's not a chance I would take. You should hold the token your left hand if the train is moving from left to right as it passes in front of you and your right hand if it is moving right to left.

Last edited:
.... and your (left) right hand if it is moving right to left.

Just being picky. But I do agree with you. However, many exchanges are made with the loco moving extremely slowly (or not at all) so in those cases it probably does not matter and anyway, I would want to be wearing gloves.

Just being picky. But I do agree with you. However, many exchanges are made with the loco moving extremely slowly (or not at all) so in those cases it probably does not matter and anyway, I would want to be wearing gloves.

Apparently my proof reading isn't great! It's an important distinction though so fair enough to point it out!

I think 10 mph is the accepted speed limit for token exchanges, but I'm not 100% sure about that. It's usually done at stations where the speed is low anyway. I've never used gloves for staff exchanges and I'm not sure there would be any benefit.

Not really, Dangavel, In your photo, the loco is going the other way, so in fact, it will leave his hand over his thumb, not his fingers.
I see what you mean, in The photo I included the signalman was standing on the opposite side to the engine to the screenshot that norm posted.

I would not have thought that trying to respond to a simple query would lead to such an interesting and informative thread!

I have now learned:

a) how tokens are exchanged.
b) how to simulate a "before and after" token exchange.

I will have another go!

It seems to me that there are three situations where a token would be needed:

a) when a double track section becomes single - giving the token to the driver.
b) when a single track section becomes double - accepting the token from the driver.
c) when a single track section is followed by another single track section - exchanging tokens.

To meet all needs and preferences, the following models would be needed:

1) A rail worker offering the token to the driver from his right hand.
2) -do- using his left hand.
3) as 1) but extending his other arm to collect the token.
4) as 2) and extending his other arm etc.
5) A rail worker extending his right arm to collect the token.
6) -do- but using his left arm.
7) A rail worker with the token on his right arm having just received it.
8) -do- but using his left arm.
9) A rail worker "at rest" to be used for example after handing the token to the driver.

Nine figures in all - no problem starting with the original figure. This seems to me o be a reasonable set.

I agree with the comment about needing a black uniform and will follow this suggestion. Incidentally, the texture I used was very dark - a blue/black - in two of my graphics programs but showed up might lighter and brighter in Trainz - I don't know why.

Making the signalman leaning over his handrail to do the exchange would need another set of nine. And one standing on the platform another set.

Before I make a fresh start, have I thought of all possibilities?

Ray

Last edited:
I agree with the comment about needing a black uniform and will follow this suggestion. Incidentally, the texture I used was very dark - a blue/black - in two of my graphics programs but showed up might lighter and brighter in Trainz - I don't know why.

It's the way the game engine interprets the colour, in days gone by you used to have to load a specific palate in the graphics program to obtain the correct colours for a game Usually these days reducing or increasing the Gamma in the Graphics program will fix it. In TANE and TRS19 its a case of reducing the Gamma slightly. All my textures have the gamma reduced to regain the correct / intended colour.

The Original Doom (MS Dos) had a different palate to Doom II, caused a bit of head scratching at the time for those of us designing levels, when Doom levels looked wrong in DoomII.

I have now uploaded a series of nine figures which should help in creating a simu;ated token exchange using the method described earlier. Eight are available; one delayed a few hours because of an error I made with the required image. They are named "" DDD Token exchange 01" to "... 09". Each is accompanied by a "read me" file which describes each figure. This can also be viewed at:

https://raystrainz.wordpress.com/single-line-token-exchange/

They seem to be correct for using on a platform set to the Trainz UK standard of 1.3 metres above baseboard level. For use at ground level, the driver would have to lean out of his cab - as in real life. They are clad in black and wearing gloves.

I hope this will meet the need expressed in the original post. It has certainly been an interesting exercise for me. Now it's back to other projects I have on the boil - or rather, simmering.

Ray

I have now uploaded a series of nine figures which should help in creating a simu;ated token exchange using the method described earlier. Eight are available; one delayed a few hours because of an error I made with the required image. They are named "" DDD Token exchange 01" to "... 09". Each is accompanied by a "read me" file which describes each figure. This can also be viewed at:

https://raystrainz.wordpress.com/single-line-token-exchange/

They seem to be correct for using on a platform set to the Trainz UK standard of 1.3 metres above baseboard level. For use at ground level, the driver would have to lean out of his cab - as in real life. They are clad in black and wearing gloves.

I hope this will meet the need expressed in the original post. It has certainly been an interesting exercise for me. Now it's back to other projects I have on the boil - or rather, simmering.

Ray
Many thanks ray, great work !

Back