is there an asset of a person holding a token ?

No that solution is far too simple. We need a committee to look into the problem and consider all the angles.

Cheerio John

No that's too expensive and time consuming. We need a KISS solution: Keep It Stupidly Simple. Also, is there any sort of token system on the DLS that I can use on clam1952's Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland 2014 TANE? I've got it working in TRS19 with the additions of interactive stations at the ends of the lines and interactive refueling facilities.

Last edited:
Just use the raise / lower asset function in surveyor.

That would not achieve what I think is needed. As made, the token would point in whatever direction I have made it, that is horizontally. The uploaded "man with token" illustrated shows it pointing upwards at an angle, but this was created in GMax by grouping the man's arm and the token and giving it that position. For the token to be an individual asset which users can place so that it appears to be held by a person of their choice, the angle in which it points needs to be adjusted up or down. Raising or lowering in Surveyor would not alter the angle.

However, I have an idea which I am going to try.

Ray

Also, is there any sort of token system on the DLS that I can use on clam1952's Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland 2014 TANE?

Are you thinking of the staffs used on that line rather than the more recent electronic system?

Ray

Problem solved: by rotating the token ninety degrees in GMax, the angle can be adjusted vertically as required. I will now upload it to the DLS with this description:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]"A token, hand-held, for single line working. This can be adjusted for height, rotated, and "rolled" to any desired angle to enable it to appear to be held by any model person of the user's choice. It may take quite a while to place it in the correct position. Warning: it does not roll around it's own centre and I have not been able to correct this."

The problem is that it appears to roll around a point at ground level so rolling would be needed before placing it "in" a person's hand.

Maybe, even with this problem, it's better than nothing? But I'll probably make a few more men holding the token at various angles.

Ray
[/FONT]

Are you thinking of the staffs used on that line rather than the more recent electronic system?

Ray

Maybe the Electronic Token System used right now. I'm working on replacing some of the animals with the animated animals included in TRS19. I've also replaced the standard gauge track with TRS19 procedural Jarrah track and named the ATLS controllers, a requirement in TRS19. Now I'm trying to decide on how to name the signals, either name them based on how many miles they are from Caernarfon or Porthmadog, or based on whether they're for 'Down' or 'Up' trains.

Problem solved: by rotating the token ninety degrees in GMax, the angle can be adjusted vertically as required. I will now upload it to the DLS with this description:

"A token, hand-held, for single line working. This can be adjusted for height, rotated, and "rolled" to any desired angle to enable it to appear to be held by any model person of the user's choice. It may take quite a while to place it in the correct position. Warning: it does not roll around it's own centre and I have not been able to correct this."

The problem is that it appears to roll around a point at ground level so rolling would be needed before placing it "in" a person's hand.

Maybe, even with this problem, it's better than nothing? But I'll probably make a few more men holding the token at various angles.

Ray
Great, thanks very much Ray , I think it's a good idea to do a few versions Always best to have a choice of options .

Six variants of man with token just uploaded - five standing upright numbered 02 to 06, arm at different angles, number 07 bending forward.

Ray

Young gentlemen practicing their new trade

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Thank you so much Ray! :D In action https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?1131-Narrow-gauge-screenshots&p=1763881#post1763881

Last edited:
Just from the title of this thread... is there an asset of a person jumping the turnstile/beating the fare?

Not that I'm aware of! I try to create people "at rest" (standing still or siting) and one caught mid-air jumping would not, to my mind, be realistic - and I have no skills in animation.

Ray

The token holding figure certainly fills a gap. I would suggest some other variations:
- A version where the man is holding out his other hand to catch a token offered by the driver as well as presenting one.
- A mirror image where he is holding the token in the other hand.
- A set of figures in black uniform rather than blue as I think this would suit signalmen better.

The second one is quite important in real life as you should always hold the token in the left/right hand such that it leaves your hand between your finger and thumb and not over the top of your fingers. This helps prevents injury if you or the person you are handing it to mess up the exchange. It is vital that the token leaves your hand easily as when performing the exchange your concentration goes into the catching side of the operation not the presentation. Incidentally all the figures in Norms screenshot are using the wrong hand!

It is possible to have a "before and after" token exchange by using layers and the "Show/Hide layer rule" or the "Layer Control" driver command.

Place the person holding the token in one visible layer and the person without the token in exactly the same place in a different but hidden layer. When the train reaches that spot it activates a trigger (if using session rules) or the driver commands which hides the first layer and reveals the second layer.

edh6 - many thanks for all this information which I didn't know. Following the original request, I was working from a rather vague photo. Of course I will gladly follow your suggestions.

Ray

pware - many thanks. This is all new to me! I may need some help to tackle this excellent idea as I had been wondering whether it might be possible.

Ray

The token holding figure certainly fills a gap. I would suggest some other variations:
- A version where the man is holding out his other hand to catch a token offered by the driver as well as presenting one.
- A mirror image where he is holding the token in the other hand.
- A set of figures in black uniform rather than blue as I think this would suit signalmen better.

The second one is quite important in real life as you should always hold the token in the left/right hand such that it leaves your hand between your finger and thumb and not over the top of your fingers. This helps prevents injury if you or the person you are handing it to mess up the exchange. It is vital that the token leaves your hand easily as when performing the exchange your concentration goes into the catching side of the operation not the presentation. Incidentally all the figures in Norms screenshot are using the wrong hand!
In that case , the signalman in the photo I posted is doing it wrong, I just had a search, in a variety of systems worldwide, 9 out of ten tokens being exchanged were using the right hand , which is what Rays figures are using.

Back