Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is there an asset of a person holding a token ?

Young gentlemen practicing their new trade

Thank you so much Ray! In action https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...81#post1763881
    Last edited by normhart; August 20th, 2019 at 01:21 PM.
    Dear Missouri,
    Thank you for sending us all your intelligent women.
    With Love,
    California.

Many thanks, normhart - you've made my day! I bet the driver is puzzled …

Ray
    Dukes Denver Designs (Ray Whiley - Textures and 3d Virtual Models for TRAINZ).
    Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works

Just from the title of this thread... is there an asset of a person jumping the turnstile/beating the fare?

Not that I'm aware of! I try to create people "at rest" (standing still or siting) and one caught mid-air jumping would not, to my mind, be realistic - and I have no skills in animation.

Ray

The token holding figure certainly fills a gap. I would suggest some other variations:
    - A version where the man is holding out his other hand to catch a token offered by the driver as well as presenting one.
    - A mirror image where he is holding the token in the other hand.
    - A set of figures in black uniform rather than blue as I think this would suit signalmen better.

The second one is quite important in real life as you should always hold the token in the left/right hand such that it leaves your hand between your finger and thumb and not over the top of your fingers. This helps prevents injury if you or the person you are handing it to mess up the exchange. It is vital that the token leaves your hand easily as when performing the exchange your concentration goes into the catching side of the operation not the presentation. Incidentally all the figures in Norms screenshot are using the wrong hand!

Blog Entries

It is possible to have a "before and after" token exchange by using layers and the "Show/Hide layer rule" or the "Layer Control" driver command.

Place the person holding the token in one visible layer and the person without the token in exactly the same place in a different but hidden layer. When the train reaches that spot it activates a trigger (if using session rules) or the driver commands which hides the first layer and reveals the second layer.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

edh6 - many thanks for all this information which I didn't know. Following the original request, I was working from a rather vague photo. Of course I will gladly follow your suggestions.

Ray

pware - many thanks. This is all new to me! I may need some help to tackle this excellent idea as I had been wondering whether it might be possible.

Ray

Blog Entries

Ray, you will find the information you need, with examples using both Driver Commands and Session Rules, on the Trainz Wiki at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...in_Driver_Mode
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

Quote Originally Posted by edh6 View Post
    The token holding figure certainly fills a gap. I would suggest some other variations:
    - A version where the man is holding out his other hand to catch a token offered by the driver as well as presenting one.
    - A mirror image where he is holding the token in the other hand.
    - A set of figures in black uniform rather than blue as I think this would suit signalmen better.

The second one is quite important in real life as you should always hold the token in the left/right hand such that it leaves your hand between your finger and thumb and not over the top of your fingers. This helps prevents injury if you or the person you are handing it to mess up the exchange. It is vital that the token leaves your hand easily as when performing the exchange your concentration goes into the catching side of the operation not the presentation. Incidentally all the figures in Norms screenshot are using the wrong hand!
    In that case , the signalman in the photo I posted is doing it wrong, I just had a search, in a variety of systems worldwide, 9 out of ten tokens being exchanged were using the right hand , which is what Rays figures are using.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Not really, Dangavel, In your photo, the loco is going the other way, so in fact, it will leave his hand over his thumb, not his fingers.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” ― R.L.S.

Not everyone in the real world gets it the right way round, most of the time nothing bad happens but having seen what can happen it's not a chance I would take. You should hold the token your left hand if the train is moving from left to right as it passes in front of you and your right hand if it is moving right to left.
    Last edited by edh6; August 25th, 2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Proof reading fail...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edh6 View Post
    .... and your (left) right hand if it is moving right to left.
    Just being picky. But I do agree with you. However, many exchanges are made with the loco moving extremely slowly (or not at all) so in those cases it probably does not matter and anyway, I would want to be wearing gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    Just being picky. But I do agree with you. However, many exchanges are made with the loco moving extremely slowly (or not at all) so in those cases it probably does not matter and anyway, I would want to be wearing gloves.
    Apparently my proof reading isn't great! It's an important distinction though so fair enough to point it out!

I think 10 mph is the accepted speed limit for token exchanges, but I'm not 100% sure about that. It's usually done at stations where the speed is low anyway. I've never used gloves for staff exchanges and I'm not sure there would be any benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Not really, Dangavel, In your photo, the loco is going the other way, so in fact, it will leave his hand over his thumb, not his fingers.
    I see what you mean, in The photo I included the signalman was standing on the opposite side to the engine to the screenshot that norm posted.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,