Rio Tinto Pilbara Iron - request for information

Greetings fellow Trainzers,

I know this is a long shot, but I am hoping someone out there, possibly a resident of Western Australia, has access to detailed and up-to-the-minute trackage layout diagrams for the Pilbara Iron lines.

I am in the last stages of finalising the trackage layout for the section of Rio Tinto's ore lines from Paraburdoo via Mount Tom Price, Rosella and Western Creek junctions, and onward to the big ships at the East Intercourse Island and Parker Point dumpers. I have been using Google Earth, as most of us do, but I can see construction sites at various points along the line and am wondering if the imagery is still accurate. I have had to make assumptions in places, but I would like it to be highly accurate at the time of release onto the DLS (if it will fit !) late this year. I guess I could knock on the door of Rio's control center here in Perth, but that might be plan B at this point - I don't want to trigger any concerns by asking for such things.

I know there are a lot of Aussie trainzers out there, and I can't find up-to-the-minute info on the net. Maybe I don't know exactly where to look. I am particularly interested in recent major changes like extra sidings, chords, connections, loaders, dumpers - stuff like that.

If anyone has any pointers, it would be appreciated muchly.

A71

Last edited:
anathoth71
Have you checked these websites:

http://www.riotinto.com/australia/pilbara/rail-9752.aspx
https://www.pilbararailways.com.au/

There are other sites as well that may provide more info: Rail-road access maps etc
https://portal.engineersaustralia.org.au/heritage/pilbara-heavy-haul-railways

Thanks Butler57, however I am hoping for much finer information, such as detailed trackmaps defining individual tracks, or location specific photography of very recent changes to the trackage. As I said, I know it's a long shot - I may just have to rely on GE. I'd railfan it, but a road trip into the outback is out of the question right at the moment unfortunately. Such is life.

These sites are great for general info though, it's much appreciated.

A71

If you google "Landgate Map Viewer" there are numerous maps you can load that will be much higher resolution than GM :) You need to click the layers tab in top right then go to online photography. Alternatively you can pay a load of money and buy a subscription to Nearmaps which I imagine will have perfect photography along the line, you can also measure and stuff.

67668050_2473934799509625_3501185424766795776_n.jpg

Last edited:
If you google "Landgate Map Viewer" there are numerous maps you can load that will be much higher resolution than GM

Wow, I should have asked sooner. Landgate Map Viewer Plus (their free to use service) is more than sufficient, thanks Scratchy. Tax payer dollars at work.

I'll start at Dampier and work my way southwards. These images are so detailed, I will have to limit the changes I make to the trackwork alone, or I will never finish it ! Gotta watch that project scope creep.

Many thanks.

Back