Is it safe to delete files / folders to reduce the size of Trainz installation ?

Can i delete these ?

- obsolete assets

- files in AppData\Local\N3V Games\tane\cache\internet folder

- files in AppData\Local\N3V Games\tane\backups folder

Yes you can delete the contents.

Just do it when TRS19 isn't running.

You can reduce the number of backups (days) that are created by going to the Settings in the Launcher and then the Dev tab. Reduce the number to something more to your liking. 2 or 3 days works well.

i had more file size in the backup than the whole rest of the program, does the back up really do any thing?

i had more file size in the backup than the whole rest of the program, does the back up really do any thing?

It creates a periodic "photocopy" of the work you have put into the Sim. It's purpose is if there is a major loss of data due to whatever reason, a user has a restore point to recover corrupted routes, sessions, assets, etc. The back up data in this folder has saved my bacon a few times already. For example, About 2 months ago I had TS 19 get completely fried when lightning hit a light pole out front of my house. The surge caused the obvious blackouts and stuff. (How my computer did not get bricked is a mystery even to me) When the power came back on, TS19 would not open anything from the .EXE. Had to due a cold clean reinstall of TS19. But first, I went into Windows Explorer, click/dragged the backup folder to the desktop, and after TS 19 was up and running again, put the folder back into it's right place, and all my self built routes reinstalled with out major problem. Now every Friday, I save a copy of the backup folder to my other drives (as well as make/update the Deps as CDPs) When it happens again, I will lose nothing/restore everything because of the backup system.

Can someone remind me how you set or change the number of backups for T:ANE and TRS2019? I can't easily find any reference to it.

** Cancel that request. Found it in Settings - Dev tab - Daily backups to keep. :eek:

Last edited:
Yes you can delete the contents.

Just do it when TRS19 isn't running.

You can reduce the number of backups (days) that are created by going to the Settings in the Launcher and then the Dev tab. Reduce the number to something more to your liking. 2 or 3 days works well.

Thank you for the reply .

On the subject of backups - Restoration?

I have no idea how to restore from a backup. So I went to the Wiki. There I was directed to a Romanian website where a portion of the site was in an unreadable language. I suppose I could use the Google translator which is far from perfect. I could not find some simple instructions on how to do a restoration. The discussions "seemed" to be on program changes and some interesting items but I could see a lot of work just putting together all the language varieties into anything cohesive.

I did find an N3V instruction with further searching. There I am told to change the file name of backups. Put them back to where I found them and run a rebuild. CRUDE. Yes, you made a backup of the BACKUP files. But now you have to use the backup. More stress.

Doing a restoration is astressful exercise since you have a MAJOR problem and the restoration process is either in a cryptic third party APP or a simpler procedure where a typing mistake can cause further issues. Isn't there a simple program someplace that allows you to select the APPROPRIATE backup file, carefully look at the selected fie name and date, and then push a virtual button, with an ARE YOU SURE?. BACKUP RESTORATION SHOULD BE EASILY LOCATED, SAFE, AND SIMPLE TO USE!

Now I could be mistaken and there is a proper program to manage restoration safely. However, I will have to bear the oncoming critique since I can't find it.

On the subject of backups - Restoration?

I have no idea how to restore from a backup. So I went to the Wiki. There I was directed to a Romanian website where a portion of the site was in an unreadable language. I suppose I could use the Google translator which is far from perfect. I could not find some simple instructions on how to do a restoration. The discussions "seemed" to be on program changes and some interesting items but I could see a lot of work just putting together all the language varieties into anything cohesive.

I did find an N3V instruction with further searching. There I am told to change the file name of backups. Put them back to where I found them and run a rebuild. CRUDE. Yes, you made a backup of the BACKUP files. But now you have to use the backup. More stress.

Doing a restoration is astressful exercise since you have a MAJOR problem and the restoration process is either in a cryptic third party APP or a simpler procedure where a typing mistake can cause further issues. Isn't there a simple program someplace that allows you to select the APPROPRIATE backup file, carefully look at the selected fie name and date, and then push a virtual button, with an ARE YOU SURE?. BACKUP RESTORATION SHOULD BE EASILY LOCATED, SAFE, AND SIMPLE TO USE!

Now I could be mistaken and there is a proper program to manage restoration safely. However, I will have to bear the oncoming critique since I can't find it.

Yes I agree. These kinds of things should have an easy-to-use GUI and lessen the requirement for the geekdom in order to perform an important task.

I use this utility here:

TZArchiver.

Found here: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vvmm/software-f56/

Simple to use. Drag the .tzarc file into the left side, and export it out as a folder with the contents. That folder can then be imported back into Content Manager.

What if my " editing " folder will become corrupted ? Can i delete it ? Will TANE recreate the content of the folder after an extended database repair ?

What if my " editing " folder will become corrupted ? Can i delete it ? Will TANE recreate the content of the folder after an extended database repair ?

I never heard of that occurring before. If you have any corrupted folders, I would look further at the disc for errors of some kind.

No, I don't think T:ANE or TRS19 will recreate a folder, but you can recreate a new file structure by setting up a new data-folder. This will be just like you setup it up initially before importing any content and will only contain the built-in assets.

Will create empty folders on next launch of TANE or TRS19 if you delete them, contents of the editing folder are irrelevant as not in the database until you commit them, in which case they shouldn't be in the editing folder.

Back