Route builders , how far do you go?

I totally agree Dan the world must be real...no matter what the scale ..or scope. that is the purpose of realistic sim landscape. If people like the look of model railroad thsere is that format now for Trainz but for the sim side, i insist in m own work and thoat i support that the horizon and distance be as good as possible. Even if it means adding physical 3d shapes of some kind to bring it off. glad you raised the topic and your photo in the OP is great

Chris

I'm with Dan and Chris; I like my panoramas:
panorama1.png

Curtis

:wave: Hello all,

It's too late in the evening now, as I just tripped across this thread, and Sir Dan, so glad you brought this up....

I will fill in here tomorrow, my personal thoughts on the Subject! :sleep:

If there is an airport and you jump in a plane for some route viewing it really matters how far out the boards and scenes are. But I avoid flying so the airport is just scenery for me.....

Well with Flight Sims you either have very expensive photo realistic (but often flat texture) scenery tiles, or autogen depending on land class. You do not have to individually paint and 3D place 1000's of sq km of landscape. One could make the argument with the increasing view distance available, N3V ought to look at adding some sort of autogen feature to make distant scenery provision quicker and easier.

For me when making a prototypical route, I like to see off into the far distance,if there were hills 10 miles away , i want them there , otherwise its not prototypical. However, it does require a hell of a lot of work to achieve this affect and it also probably throws an extra load on the graphics card. But, because of this strategy, I end up with scenes like this ... the far distance has the minimal amount of items to make it look sort of convincing a mile or so away.

I cant stand to see the edges of the route , it just kills it for me, but i realise that given the popularity of model railroad indoor routes here, i am in the minority, so my point is, how many other route builders here are as anal as i am in this respect. ?

Don't worry about your graphics card. Size doesn't matter as long as you have enough ram available.
Large amount of tiles don't slow down the performance at all but loading and saving can take a while.
To me a nice landscape is even more important than objects.
For a mountain railroad a wide landscape is a must anyways.
Do not use speed trees for mass forestation, they will kill performance!

You may take a look at my route here which is afaik the largest available
European DEM map right now:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gSHcqlWPTK8gz3xnDeaXU0DYTgZWUF8E

Last edited:
Back