Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Route builders , how far do you go?

Default Route builders , how far do you go?

For me when making a prototypical route, I like to see off into the far distance,if there were hills 10 miles away , i want them there , otherwise its not prototypical. However, it does require a hell of a lot of work to achieve this affect and it also probably throws an extra load on the graphics card. But, because of this strategy, I end up with scenes like this ... the far distance has the minimal amount of items to make it look sort of convincing a mile or so away.

I cant stand to see the edges of the route , it just kills it for me, but i realise that given the popularity of model railroad indoor routes here, i am in the minority, so my point is, how many other route builders here are as anal as i am in this respect. ?
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Count me in the anal route builder lot.....hehehe

I tend to raise some hills or something so the edges aren't obvious, but I sure like that screenshot!
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” ― R.L.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    I tend to raise some hills or something so the edges aren't obvious, but I sure like that screenshot!
    I try to do the same if I can , some routes lend themselves to that , if the line goes through hills, its the endless flat lands that are the problem in this case. The other side of the line not in shot only goes back a few boards as it slopes up, but this side can also be seen from another part of the route where the line climbs. the country also generally gets lower too by about 10 meters , so if I limit the boards there's issues with sight lines further down the line. i think if i ever finish this i will do a freelance route, all narrow canyons and just a few boards wide
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Yup I can relate...

I'll raise the land just a bit at the edges as if to appear like rolling hills even it it's the smallest amount.

I also detest floating roads and track and go through great lengths to tamp them down and fill in terrain if needed underneath.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

Blog Entries

While I can also relate it is not always an option. Here in Oz I have been in many locations where the land from horizon to horizon for 360 degrees was totally flat - like being in the middle of the ocean.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    While I can also relate it is not always an option. Here in Oz I have been in many locations where the land from horizon to horizon for 360 degrees was totally flat - like being in the middle of the ocean.
    Yes, i know that well, much of the South Australian interior is like that, i suppose in those cases , you have to draw the line after a mile or so, and avoid aerial shots .
    Imagine trying to model the Nullabor plain !

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    Funny thing is, if its that flat, you can see the natural curvature of the earth.
    (-3-)y-~~

United States of America, Arkansas, Jonesboro

I also tend to raise the ground at edges, but you can also lay in a long thick row of trees to hide the "edge of the world."

Quote Originally Posted by davesnow View Post
    I also tend to raise the ground at edges, but you can also lay in a long thick row of trees to hide the "edge of the world."
    They are very handy, as they can hide a multitude of sins, but alas, not a single tree in the entire stretch I posted earlier in the pic , so not an option I can take, its dry out in that part of Utah.....

With Transdem I will normally extract to 7 tiles either side of the vector line, which = around 5km in the sim. However anything beyond 2km normally only gets a wash of suitable terrain texture, similar to how distant mountains work in MSTS. Of course as view distance increases, even 5km might not cut it in really mountainous territory, but there has to be compromise between what you can see and adding another circle of tiles which could up the gnd file size by several 100Mb. The other view I take when route building, is I need to focus on what's visible from the cab, or carriage window essentially a realistic human real world viewpoint. This is supposed to be a train sim, not helicopter at 500ft sim.
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    With Transdem I will normally extract to 7 tiles either side of the vector line, which = around 5km in the sim. However anything beyond 2km normally only gets a wash of suitable terrain texture, similar to how distant mountains work in MSTS. Of course as view distance increases, even 5km might not cut it in really mountainous territory, but there has to be compromise between what you can see and adding another circle of tiles which could up the gnd file size by several 100Mb. The other view I take when route building, is I need to focus on what's visible from the cab, or carriage window essentially a realistic human real world viewpoint. This is supposed to be a train sim, not helicopter at 500ft sim.
    But if you are a bystander you could easily be on a high vantage point above the track.Multiple camera angles are available if you want to shoot a video outside of the passenger or driver experience.
    One of the best angles is looking down from nearby hills , its often used by people who document routes such as the Cumbres and Toltec, the camera might easily be 500 feet above the track , i try to cater for those sort of shots as well as low angle and track side stuff.

I prefer to concentrate on using the limited time that I can spend on route building to create scenery close to the tracks and simulate far-off scenery by using backdrops which I created from my own photographs.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a view towards the Wash from Heacham junction station on the King's Lynn to Hunstanton line in North-West Norfolk (UK). I know that not everyone likes backdrops, but they satisfy me! - which as I do not publish routes is all that matters.

Ray
    Dukes Denver Designs (Ray Whiley - Textures and 3d Virtual Models for TRAINZ).
    Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by maruffijd View Post
    Funny thing is, if its that flat, you can see the natural curvature of the earth.
    I saw that in TX while heading towards Carlsbad, NM back in 2009. It really was flat in that part then the land started rising up again to form rolling hills that got steeper and steeper in New Mexico. This was all limestone which lends me to believe we were again at the bottom of a great lake or the ocean at that point.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

Also around 7 tiles either side.
    Can I see it from any or all parts of the track?
    Yes leave it there.
    No delete the board(s)
    Malc