Noisy Cpu Fan

barryg

Hi all. Just replaced my old intel 4690K system with a shiny Ryzen 3700x -with a Wraith Prism cooler- and a Gigabyte X570 Gaming X mobo. Using stock speeds the system is whisper quiet, but as soon any load is put on the Cpu the fan ramps up and it sounds like a damned Vacuum cleaner (it's that loud), it's just the sound of air movement. Has anyone else used a Wraith Prism cooler and had any luck with it. The supplied Gigabyte software has a fan optimiser but it's pretty basic in usage. Reports show that the Prism can keep the Cpu under control even when clocked. So it's either put the system outside, use headphones all the time, or if anyone knows of a 3rd party fan tuner.

Testing on Trainz 2019 -

Before the system change and with an RTX 2060 i was getting 50% cpu usage and 50% Gpu usage (thanks John Citron for your invaluable help). With the Ryzen i'm now getting approx 10%-30% cpu and 50% Gpu.

Awesome system but for the Cpu fan.

Regards

I am currently using my fourth AMD built PC. The latest one also with the Wraith Prism cooler.
All of them were noisy and to tell the truth I am so used to it, I will miss it if I use a more quite fan.
You can get an after market fan that is quite but this will void the cpu's warranty.

Hi. I do have a CoolerMaster Sedion 240v watercooler i used with the Intel, but it needs a compatibility bracket for the AMD mobo. Playing Trainz or Eurotruck simulator 2 the cpu temps never go above 60*c so i'm happy at the moment, just goto get used to the fan ramp up.

Thanks for the reply

Regards

Just a small update to a noisy Prism fan.

After installing the latest Ryzen chipset from Guru3D the default CPU power options were Min=98%, Max=100%. I changed the Min to 5% -in accordance to what Intels usually are- but found no difference, but when i changed the Min=5% and Max to 99% the cooler immediately went quiet. The cpu temps are still the same (60*c to 65*c under load), but the fan is demonstrably quieter. F.P.S are the same so i'm not seeing a 1% reduction as anything untoward, but still a weird way of to get an acceptable fan decibel output.

Regards

Back