An operational issue

Yorkshire

The operational problem I have with TRS2019 is the decision that was made to give 3 modes of operation in Driver: - Direct control, Realistic control and Ai/auto. The issue for me is that when I am driving a train in manual DC mode and I need to apply either an IT set path or path command, or perhaps manually unload a goods train, I have to switch to Ai/auto mode to access the commands. But then the loco stops! You have to select the path you require then switch back into manual mode and start driving again. Have I missed something? Is there a way of accessing commands without switching mode? if not, in that respect, I think the old system of giving access to the commands while still in manual driving mode was better from an operational point of view. I like the new interface and display of information, but operationally it is not as convenient.

Welcome to the club! This point has been raised before by others in these forums (myself included) so you are not alone. Hopefully, there will be a solution but when(TM) who knows?

I get a popup box when approaching an entry signal where I can select a path, not sure why you guys don't?

I get a popup box when approaching an entry signal where I can select a path, not sure why you guys don't?

Just a few months using TRS19 so I don't understand.... What specifically is an "entry" signal (as opposed to any other signal) and you get directional pop-ups in TRS-19 while Driving? Maybe I can learn something here? Popup box? Who, what, where, when, why?

Possibly because I use Enhanced Tower? I don't think you get the popups with them - they would annoy me anyway!!!

I use EITs (Enhanced Interlocking Towers) and whenever the consist under my control approaches an "entry signal" with more than one path available, a popup box appears.

What specifically is an "entry" signal (as opposed to any other signal) and you get directional pop-ups in TRS-19 while Driving? Maybe I can learn something here? Popup box? Who, what, where, when, why?

Welcome to another club. ITs, EITs and MCs (Mission Codes) are a whole new learning curve and a very rewarding one.

There is a Trainz Online video all about using Interlocking Towers at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc12ILNf_o0&feature=youtu.be and the full list of videos can be found at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Tutorial_Videos

Well it's over a year since I raised this issue and no response from the higher echelons. It would be good to know why we can't access driver commands directly and quickly in manual mode. What was the reasoning behind this change. It didn't improve the operational side as far as I can see, in fact quite the opposite. Is there no chance now that we will see some way of accessing driver commands quickly and directly when in manual mode? Makes me think of going back to TANE!

Makes me think of going back to TANE!

While I feel your pain, that option makes me shudder!

I suspect that we will eventually (TM) see a change in this area. Since it is not a "show stopper" in terms of stopping the program from working (it merely causes inconvenience) it will be lower down on the priority list compared to other issues that really need fixing (yes I know, some will say that this is the one issue that really needs fixing NOW!!!, along with all the other single most important issues that also need fixing now, but it is all relative).

Thanks for your reply and sympathy! For me it is an important issue, Trainz is about both creating and using. They really have taken out an important aspect of its functionality, and with no benefit. I wonder why they don't give us even a hint to recognise there is an issue and something will be done about it. It was such an unnecessary change to my mind.

Entry signal is the first signal of the path you are setting up also end or exit signal is the last on the path. The directional pop up can be switched off, I think it is in the EIT Manager rule.

While I feel your pain, that option makes me shudder!

I suspect that we will eventually (TM) see a change in this area. Since it is not a "show stopper" in terms of stopping the program from working (it merely causes inconvenience) it will be lower down on the priority list compared to other issues that really need fixing (yes I know, some will say that this is the one issue that really needs fixing NOW!!!, along with all the other single most important issues that also need fixing now, but it is all relative).

Yeah, It's annoying just like the routes and sessions menu is now, but Tony did mention that this stuff is in transition so perhaps we have better stuff in the future.

It was such an unnecessary change to my mind.

The only reason that I can see is the increased screen real estate used by the very useful (IMHO) track gradient and signal map that now resides on the bottom left of the screen plus the space needed for the 100% manual controls.

Back