1914 UK East Coast Joint Stock Carriage Roster

borderreiver

Following an enquiry about the make-up of the UK's East Coast Joint Stock Expresses, I am posting a thread showing the allocations for Summer 1914 (June - Sept) derived from work published by Michael Harris and Ken Hoole.
This post will deal with the overall view of the Down trains. Further posts will show an overall view of the Up trains. with detailed allocations of both down and up trains following.

The E.C.J.S. Company ownership was shared between the G.N.R., N.E.R. and N.B.R., proportions related to mileage, which made the G.N.R. the "senior" partner. The E.C.J.S.C. supplied the carriages required to operate the express passenger services along the East Coast Main Line between London Kings Cross, Edinburgh Waverley, Glasgow Queen Street, Perth and Aberdeen.

More information received September 2019, edited and revised - Michael Harris Omitted the Saturday's Only version of the 8:45 p.m Down train in his 1995 book on GNR and ECJS Carriages Post-1905.

Down Trains

The summer of 1914 - On weekdays (Monday - friday) five daytime and four overnight express passenger trains between London and Edinburgh.

9:50 a.m. London - Edinburgh.

Eight carriages departing London. 257 T 14 Cwt.
This train was the relief for the 10:00 a.m.
This train ran to Edinburgh July - September.
During May London - Newcastle on Mondays and Fridays only.
During June london - Newcastle on weekdays (Mondays to Fridays).

10:00 a.m. London - Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth and Aberdeen.

Ten carriage set departing London. 303 T 17 Cwt
G.N.R. nickname "The Scotch Express" - known as "The Flying Scotsman" in the L.N.E.R. era.
A feature of the 10 a.m. was having the N.E.R. TPO coach at the head of the down train between York and Edinburgh (re-positioning for its next up duty).

10:35 a.m. London - Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Ten carriage set departing London. 295 T 14 Cwt
With G.N.R. corridor carriage portions from London - Cromer, (detached at Peterborough) and ( Saturdays Only) Grantham – Doncaster.
With Midland Railway portion (attached at York) Bristol – Newcastle (Non-vestibule carriages)
With N.E.R. portion from Newcastle - Alnmouth (non-vestibule carriages).

11:20 a.m. London - Edinburgh, North Berwick, Perth and Montrose.

Nine carriage set departing London. 287 T 8 Cwt
A through Corridor Brake Compo to N. Berwick detach at Drem to attach to the N.B.R. branch train.
With a N.E.R. through Brake Composite (attached at Darlington) from Keswick to Newcastle. Non-vestibule carriage.

2:20 p.m. London - Edinburgh. Monday to Friday.

Nine carriage set departing London. 274 T 13 Cwt
Unofficial G.N.R. nickname "The Afternoon Scotch Express".
One 6-w non-vestibule Brake Van ran outside the E.C.J.S. Corridor Bogie Brake as far as Newcastle.
The 6-w van detached and then on from Newcastle to Edinburgh with the 11:45 p.m. ex-London.

2:20 p.m. London - Edinburgh. Saturdays Only.

Eleven carriage set departing London. Weight 364 T 9 Cwt.
One Brake Third for Edinburgh at the head of the train.
One Corridor Composite for Edinburgh fourth carriage in the train.
Both the above addded to the weekday train consist.
One south-end brake, G.N.R. Corridor Brake Compo ran outside the E.C.J.S. Brake rather than the weekday's 6-w Brake Van.
The G.N.R. carriage running as far as Newcastle, returning Up from there with the Sat 11:29 p.m. for London.

7:55 p.m. London - Inverness and Fort William. Saturdays & Sundays excepted.

Nine carriage set departing London. 246 T 9 Cwt
With one sleeping car for Inverness and a sleeping compo to Fort William.
The Inverness sleeper to go forward to Strathpeffer as required.

8:15 p.m. London - Edinburgh, Montrose and Aberdeen. Saturdays & Sundays Excepted.

Eight carriage set departing London. 235 T 16 Cwt
With an E.C.J.S south-end Brake Third at the head of the train from Newcastle to Glasgow Queen Street. (This left London at 4:30 p.m. with a G.N.R. train).
Despite being an overnight train only one carriage (for Aberdeen) was a sleeping car.

8:45 p.m. London - Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Queen Street. Saturdays Excepted.

Eleven carriage set departing London. 274 T 5 Cwt
One G.N.R. non-vestibule 6-w brake van for Hull, detach Doncaster.
One G.N.R. non-vestibule 4-w G.P.O. mail van for Leeds, detach Doncaster.
Two G.N.R. 6-w G.P.O. mail vans for Newcastle.
One G.N. & N.E.J.S. Brake van ran as far as Newcastle.
One N.E.R. G.P.O. bogie van ran between Newcastle and Edinburgh early a.m. Tuesday to Saturday.
Like the 8:18 p.m. despite being an overnight train only one carriage (for Glasgow) was a sleeping car, this time a sleeping compo.

8:45 p.m. London - Edinburgh Glasgow Perth Montrose and Aberdeen. Saturdays Only.

Eleven carriage departing London. Weight 272 T 8 Cwt
One G.N.R. non-vestibule 4-w G.P.O. mail van for Leeds, detached at Doncaster.
Two G.N.R. 6-w G.P.O. mail vans for Newcastle.
One Brake Van from London for Perth
One S End Brake Third from Newcastle to Glasgow.
Two Brake Compos, One each from London to Edinburgh & Montrose.
The London to Glasgow portion had two Brake Vans, a Sleeper Composite & a Third.

8:45 p.m. London - Edinburgh and Glasgow. Sundays Only.

Eleven carriage departing London. Weight 303 T 8 Cwt
With one G.N.R. non-vestibule 4-wheel G.P.O. mail van for Leeds, detach Doncaster.
With two G.N.R. vestibule 6-wheel G.P.O. mail vans for Newcastle.
With G.N. & N.E.J.S. Pantry Third and Kitchen First running ECS to Newcastle.
With a N.E.R. G.P.O. bogie van ean between Newcastle and Edinburgh early a.m. Monday.

11:30 p.m. London - Aberdeen and Perth. Saturdays Only.

Eight carriage set departing London. 244 T 7 Cwt.
One sleeping car for Aberdeen & one for Perth.

11:45 p.m. London - Newcastle, North Berwick, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Monday to Friday.

Nine carriage set departing London. 282 T 12 Cwt.
One 6-w E.C.J.S non-vestibule Brake Van between Newcastle and Edinburgh which left London at 2:20 p.m ( Not Monday a.m. – which is the Sunday departure ex-London).
One E.C.J.S Sleeping car, Corridor Brake Composite and Corridor brake Third for Glasgow.
A G.N. & N.E.J.S portion for Newcastle (one G.N. & N.E.J.S. Sleeping car, G.N. & N.E.J.S. Corridor Third & G.N.R. bogie Corridor Brake Van).

An E.C.J.S. Sleeping car & E.C.J.S. Corridor Brake Compo for N. Berwick.

11:45 p.m. London - Newcastle, N. Berwick, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Saturdays Only.

Eight carriage set departing London. 227 T 17 Cwt.
Three Corridor Brake vans (BG) and a Corridor Brake Compo (BTK) departing London.
One brake van was a G.N. & N.E.J.S. carriage running to Newcastle, one a G.N.R. carriage running to Newcastle and the third a G.N.R. carriage running to York.
Like the 8:18 and 8:45 p.m. trains, only one carriage (for Glasgow) was a sleeping car.

The table in Harris shows that between Newcastle and Edinburgh the Saturday 11:45 p.m. includes a 6-w E.C.J.S. Brake Van to EC Diag 37 van. However, the table lists no Diag 37 as attached to Saturday’s 2:20 p.m. ex-London, so this van did not run in the 2:20 p.m. in order to meet the Saturday 11:45 p.m.

It is unclear as if it is a mistake from 1914, if the table means that on Sat at 5:00 a.m. there is a Diag 37 6-w van waiting at Newcastle ex-Friday’s 2:20 p.m. from London, or it is another Diag 37 van. No information how that van reached Newcastle from London. However, 20 6-w Diag 37 vans were built in 1883 with eight more built in 1893. By July 1914 Newcastle may have at least one such van to hand in the sidings.
EC Diag 37 No. 49 was destroyed in an accident at Montrose during December 1915.

The data for condemning/cascading EC Diag 37 vans is incomplete, so it's unclear the number in stock by July 1914. The lowest number of the class was “49” during July 1914 so Nos. 46A, 47A, and 48A were not in E.C. stock then. Disposals started before 1914. Five condemned 1911 & 13 (Nos. 52A, 54A, 100A, 101A & 106) whilst one was cascaded to the G.N.R. in 1913 (No.85A). Of the eight built by Cravens during 1893, one (No. 214) was condemned during 1919 while the other seven were cascaded 1919 to 1922, with five to the G.N.R. (Nos. 215 – 219) and two to the N.E.R. (Nos. 220-221). Possibly nine or more of the twenty-eight were in E.C. stock by July 1914 (Nos. 49 & 214-221).

11:45 p.m. London - Newcastle, North Berwick, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Sundays Only.

Nine carriage set on departure London. 282 T 12 Cwt.
One E.C.J.S Sleeping car, a Corridor Brake Compo and Corridor Brake Third for Glasgow.
A G.N. & N.E.J.S portion for Newcastle (one G.N. & N.E.J.S. Sleeping car, G.N. & N.E.J.S. Corridor Third & G.N.R. bogie Corridor Brake Van).
An E.C.J.S. Sleeping car and E.C.J.S. Corridor Brake Compo for North Berwick.

- The 6-w E.C.J.S. Brake van was not attached at Newcastle during the early hours of Monday morning to the 23:45 p.m. Sunday train from London to Edinburgh and Glasgow. My error to show it in the original posting.

- Ken Hoole wrote quoting an undated T.C.W.I. thatthe Down 8:55 a.m. Leeds - Glasgow Breakfast & Luncheon Express, via York, with nine N.E.R. corridor carriages, also conveyed an E.C.J.S. Brake Van from York and Edinburgh. This originated at London, departiure 5:05 a.m. with a G.N.R. semi-fast for York. The 5:05 a.m. is listed in the April 1910 Bradshaw's, (arr York 9:18 a.m.) Bradshaw's April 1910 has the Glasgow leaving Leeds at 9:00 a.m. departing York at 9:43 a.m. The 1922 Bradshaw's has the Glasgow train leaving Leeds at 8:55 a.m. but the train from London is then the 4:45 a.m.

Last edited:
As always great work. As seen in my PM today I have my first up and down 9:50 am and return next day at 10:00 am consists working.
I am running them from and to portals at York and just before Northallerton.
I still have a lot of work to do to add those stations to my North Yorkshire Route.
Looking forward to the remaining notes.
By the way I retain all your note in my Excel spreadsheet.

Thanks for the kind words.
I am working on the Up train overview. Harris only listed one Up train, the 7:45 a.m. from Edinburgh, because it was unusual in combining with an N.E.R. dining portion as far as Newcastle and then combining with a G.N. & N.E.J.S. service from Newcastle to London. Harris noted that to save space the return (Up) working of the carriages on the down services were shown in the through carriage working arrangement tables.

However, that appears to be not the whole picture. There seem to be rather more E.C.J.S services in the Up direction than the down direction and at least one of them, in my opinion so far, is an empty stock working taking the carriages south. That service is not all stations but it appears to have stopped at several smaller wayside stations between Edinburgh and Newcastle with a 48 minute layover at Newcastle. With only three through platform faces at Newcastle Central I think that it is more likely the E.C.J.S. empty stock was detached from the Edinburgh - Newcastle passenger train and subsequently attached to the later Newcastle - York train. Some care would have been necessary at Newcastle by the N.E.R. to avoid reversing the facing of the E.C.J.S. set, since that would then require the G.N.R. to turn each one and remarshal them at London. That makes me think that either a through platform was assigned to the arriving Edinburgh and departing York trains, with the York departure via the King Edward Bridge, or the Edinburgh train arrived in an eastern end bay platform and the E.C.J.S. carriages were taken directly to a western end bay for the York departure. An arrival at an eastern end bay and a departure from the same bay via the High Level Bridge and Gateshead West would reverse the facing of the whole E.C.J.S. set.

While it is probable that the E.C.J.S. carriages were locked out of use for that working south, if they were not ,then passengers from wayside stations such as Prestonpans, Reston, Belford and Chathill must have had a pleasant surprise. The normal service trains calling at those stations were ordinary compartment stock lacking corridor connections and most also lacked toilet facilities.

I am working on a spreadsheet listing the week's workings of carriages to the north by carriage diagram day/time and seeing how they balance out going south.

Up Trains

The up trains were, in large part, rather more complex in make-up than the down trains. Most have to be deduced from the down service tables which show the balancing workings for carriages. To save space and publishing costs, Harris only listed the through carriage working instructions for the 7:45 a.m. service. This was due to the “hybrid” nature of the 7:45 a.m. (combining E.C.J.S. carriages with N.E.R. carriages and G.N. & N.E.J.S. carriages to run through to London).

To supplement Michael Harris ( G.N.R. & E.C.J.S. Carriages from 1905 – Oakwood Press 1995 ) and Ken Hoole ( The Illustrated History of East Coast Joint Stock - OPC 1993 ) . I have referenced my David & Charles 1969 reprinted copy of Bradshaw’s July – September 1922 timetable and thanks to JackDownUnder for pointing me to an online version of Bradshaw’s April 1910 timetable held by the hathitrust archive. The North East Railway Association (N.E.R.A.) 2002 facsimile publication “North Eastern Railway Timetable 1[SUP]st[/SUP] October 1912 to 31[SUP]st[/SUP] March 1913” and 2014 facsimile publication “L.N.E.R. N.E. Area Carriage Roster from 19[SUP]th[/SUP] July 1926 Until Further Notice” have also proved useful for providing some information.

I have had to make some judgement calls when assessing the information in the above publications because they do not only refer to different years but also in some cases to different seasons. The summer period, from July to September was the peak period for long distance travel, in part attributable to the “Glorious Twelfth” when many “in society” travelled to Scotland to take part in the grouse shooting season. Spending all or part of the summer in Scotland had been made fashionable by Queen Victoria during the mid-19[SUP]th[/SUP] century and with her grandson King George V on the throne in July 1914 this “tradition” had not yet significantly waned, though the start of World War One during August 1914 would change things.

The winter timetable inevitably had fewer trains. For example, Harris reports that prior to 1913 that the 11:45 p.m. from London did not operate at all during January to March, with its vehicles running in the 11:30 p.m. being duplicated as required. This raises a question, because in the 1914 Through Carriage Working Instructions reproduced in Harris, the 11:30 p.m. was a train which ran only on Saturdays. So, prior to 1913 was the 11:30 p.m. similarly restricted to Saturdays Only or was the 11:30 actually the year-round train and the 11:45 p.m. the one which only ran on summer Saturdays? The April 1910 Bradshaw’s shows a departure at 11:30 p.m. Saturdays excepted and on Sundays. The winter 1912/13 N.E.R.A. timetable shows “through coaches” from York to Edinburgh departing at 3:19 a.m. and the 1910 Bradshaw’s shows the 11:30 p.m. out of London reaching York at 3:12 a.m. The July 1922 Bradshaw’s shows no E.C.J.S. sleeping car train departing London after 10:30 p.m. so there is nothing to compare with there. Therefore, I tend towards the opinion that prior to 1913 it is likely the 11:45 p.m. was the summer Saturdays extra and that by summer 1914 the situation had switched, with the 11:45 p.m. the year-round train while the 11:30 p.m. was the summertime Saturdays Only departure. That during WWI the economy measures resulted in the post-WWI sleeping car trains leaving London around an hour earlier than pre-WWI. The above is to illustrate the assessment and judgement I have had to make. Any errors or omissions are inevitably mine.

Harris also reports that during the winter 1914/1915 timetable (October – March) that the Inverness and Fort William sleeping cars did not run throughout the year. The West Coast Joint Stock and East Coast Joint Stock companies collaborated over the winter to run through carriages and sleeping cars on alternate days from Kings Cross and Euston respectively. In my opinion this was not just an adjustment for winter but a wartime economy measure.

During the summer of 1914 the T.C.W.I. lists seven weekday daytime express passenger train departures from Edinburgh, compared to five down departures from London. An eighth Up departure is listed, at 6:25 p.m. but this is an N.E.R. service between Glasgow and Leeds (via York) and the E.C.J.S. carriages in this departure were NPCS brake van, probably only going as far as York with this train (arriving York 10:55 p.m.) and then going south to London with a subsequent Up G.N.R. passenger train from York. I think that the 6:38 a.m. slow passenger train from York, arriving London at 11:50 a.m. is a possible candidate since the G.N.R. practise was to add N.P.C.S. carriages such as luggage/brake vans conveying mail and parcels traffic at either (or both) ends of their secondary express and ordinary passenger trains on the E.C.M.L. In some trains there were more brake vans in the consist than there were passenger carriages!

The 1914 T.C.W.I. reproduced in Harris lists five overnight weekday departures in the Up direction south from Edinburgh. Once again, more than in the Down direction northwards from London.

I received more information in September 2019 in the form of the full East Coast July 1914 Through Carriage Working Instructions. The following posts will be edited to incorporate the fuller picture now presented.

The sheer size of this section means that I will have to post it in two parts, with the overview of the trains themselves in the next post.

Last edited:
I applaud the investigation that you are performing. This will go down in the annals, if we or our future kin survive the world's current & future problems.
For the purpose of constructing a realistic model in TRS2019 one realises that:
- model generally is constructed to run for one day, yes one can include weekend workings & specials where they do not overload the scheduling. I did have mine running 20 hrs at one time until my PC crashed.
- in consideration of this one can discount the historical change considerations.
- for someone such as I, this means that I do not have to overload the little grey cells which at 80 years old do not appear to be able to calculate the options as easily as they used to do.
I am compiling an excel spreadsheet incorporating the known schedule from pre WW1 to allow scheduling without further reference to the time tables of that period.
I am also compiling one to cross reference the Carriage Roster Codes to available rolling stock provided by TRS2019, Paul's & others. So once and for all the selections will be made & the little grey cells may be rested.

Unfortunately this is not all that there is to consider as the railway companies generally made more money out of mineral traffic than passenger, especially NER. So there are a lot of movement of mineral and other traffic to be slotted in between the passenger services. this is another historical investigation that needs to be made!! I do not think that I will be going there until my passenger traffic is running smoothly. I do have a fictitious coal mine with five pick up services delivering to stations surrounding Starbeck/ Harrogate which include local shunting at those stations.

Keep up the good work Borderreiver.

The Up E.C.J.S. Daytime Express Passenger Train Overview

The Up Train Overview - The daytime express passenger trains

Weekdays - Monday to Saturday

7:45 a.m. Edinburgh - London.

Six carriages on departure Edinburgh. 173 T 16 Cwt

With an N.E.R. portion for Newcastle made up of a BCK & RC.
At Newcastle they were detached and the E.C.J.S. carriages attached to the 10:28 a.m. G.N. & N.E.J.S. service to London, which included a RF & RTP.
The 7:45 a.m. had dining facilities for its entire journey.
The main E.C.J.S. core returned in the Down direction at 10:30 p.m. the same day.
One E.C.J.S. coach, returned in the Down direction on the next day's 10:35 a.m. from London.
With an N.E.R. portion for Newcastle made up of a Corridor Brake Composite and a Corridor Composite Dining Car.

The T.C.W.I. states that the balancing down working for the core portion is the same day’s 10:30 p.m. from London, running six days a week. In the April 1910 Bradshaw’s this was not an advertised overnight E.C.J.S. departure. The G.N.R and N.E.R.
possibly working the carriages as empty stock attached to their slower overnight passenger trains carrying mails. Officially, the carriages reached Edinburgh at 8:58 a.m. (via the 6:00 a.m. ex-Newcastle
for its last leg). In reality there was no hurry. The carriages were not required until 7:45 a.m. the day following arrival at Edinburgh.

10:00 a.m. Edinburgh – London.

Eight carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 257 T 14 Cwt
This up service was a relief to the 10:15 a.m. and ran from July to September.
During May it ran from Newcastle to London on Monday and Friday only.
During June it ran from Newcastle to London on weekdays (Monday to Friday).
All carriages ran down on the previous day’s 9:50 a.m. from London.

10:15 a.m. Edinburgh – London.

Ten carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 303 T 17 Cwt
This train was the Up “Scotch Express” with all carriages running down on the previous day’s 10:00 a.m. from London.
Included a portion ex-Glasgow (departed 8:40 a.m.) for London.
Included a core portion from Edinburgh for London.
Included a through coach ex-Perth (departed 8:35 a.m.) for London.
Included a portion ex-Aberdeen (departed 6:15 a.m.) for London.

10:25 a.m. Edinburgh – London.

Four carriage set on departure Edinburgh. Weight not shown. I calculate it as 121 T 1 Cwt
Included one E.C.J.S. Brake Van which had run down from London on the previous day’s 10:35 a.m.
Included an E.C.J.S. portion from Edinburgh to London.
This portion had run down on the previous day’s 8:45 p.m. from London.

No dining carriages are recorded as being allocated to this train and in the 1922 Bradshaw’s lacks any Luncheon/Dinner train remarks/notes.
The April 1910 Bradshaw shows a 10:20 which ran through to London arriving 8:35 p.m.
This was a long journey without dining facilities. However, the N.E.R. Winter 1912-13 timetable has a table of Breakfast, Luncheon and Dining car services showing that the traveller without their own food and drink may still have had access to hot and cold food on the 10:25 a.m., or at least could do so between Newcastle and York.
The N.E.R. advertised that Luncheon baskets could be obtained at York, Darlington, Newcastle, Leeds, Harrogate, Scarborough or Hull stations with hot or cold luncheon at 3 shillings (3/-) and without wine, ale, stout or aerated water at 2 shillings and 6 pence (2/6). Telegrams ordering luncheon baskets, meals etc were sent free of charge on notice being given to the Conductor or Guard of the Train, or to the Station Master, or other Official, at any of the principal Stations en route. The G.N.R. and N.B.R. may have offered something similar. If the N.B.R. would telegraph the N.E.R. at Newcastle the traveller might have their food delivered onboard there.

12:25 p.m. Edinburgh – London.

Six carriage set on departure Edinburgh. Weight not shown. I calculate it to be 181 T 9 Cwt
Included a portion ex-Glasgow (departed 11:00 a.m.) for London.
This ran down as part of the previous day’s 10:35 a.m. from London.
Included a core portion from Edinburgh for London.
This ran down to Edinburgh on the previous day’s 11:20 a.m. from London.
A further coach joined at Drem, the through E.C.J.S. coach from North Berwick (departing there 12:30 p.m.).
This ran down on the previous day’s 11:20 a.m. from London.

2:00 p.m. Edinburgh – London.
Seven carriage set on departure Edinburgh. Weight not shown. I calculate it to be 238 T 4 Cwt
This was the scheduled relief train for the 2:30 p.m.
Included a portion from Edinburgh for London.
This ran down to Edinburgh on the previous day’s 2:20 p.m. from London.
Included a Brake van from Edinburgh to London.
This ran down to Edinburgh on the previous day’s 8:15 p.m. from London.
However, while the 2:00 p.m. Up train operated six days a week (Mon – Sat), the 8:15 p.m. Down operated only five nights a week (Mon – Fri).
This leaves a deficit of one Brake Van heading north to be made good in the roster.

2:30 p.m. Edinburgh – London.

Eight carriage set on departure Edinburgh. Weight not shown. I calculate it to be 274 T 15 Cwt
This was the “Afternoon Scotch Express”.
Included a portion from Edinburgh for London.
Ran down as part of the previous day’s 10:35 a.m. from London.
Included a portion from Perth (departed 12:30 pm.) for London.
One carriage of this portion ran down as part of the previous day’s 10:35 a.m. as far as Edinburgh.
It subsequently worked from Edinburgh to Perth at 7:30 a.m. positioning for the Up return working from Perth to London.
The other carriage of this portion ran down on the previous day’s 11:20 a.m. from London.
Included a portion from Aberdeen (departed 10:30 a.m.) for London.
This ran down to Montrose on the previous day’s 11:20 a.m. from London, later empty stock to Aberdeen.
Included a portion from Glasgow (departed 1:00 p.m.) for London.
This ran down as part of the previous day’s 8:45 p.m. from London to Glasgow.

6:25 p.m. Edinburgh – Leeds (via York).

This was not an E.C.J.S. express passenger train.
It was the nine carriage N.E.R. express passenger service from Glasgow to Leeds via York, which conveyed two, perhaps three E.C.J.S. Brake vans bound for London as far as York.
The G.N.R. would take the vans onwards from York, attached to a passenger train.
Included an E.C.J.S. 6-w Van from Edinburgh for London.
This had travelled down as far as Newcastle on the previous day’s 2:20 p.m. from London (Van did not run Saturday) and subsequently on to Edinburgh attached to the previous day’s 11:45 p.m. from London (Not Sunday night/Monday morning).
Included an E.C.J.S. Brake van from Glasgow (departed 5:00 p.m.) for London.
This had travelled down on the previous day’s 8:15 p.m. from London.
A third van was probably attached at Edinburgh. This had also travelled down on the 8:15 p.m. but the T.C.W.I. states it returned to London via the 5 p.m. from Edinburgh but there was no 5 p.m. train. I believe that it was attached to the 5 p.m. from Glasgow, which departed Edinburgh at 6:25 p.m.
This train was later named “The North Briton” during BR days.

As previously mentioned, there is a contradiction in the Down trains regarding the van attached to the 11:45 p.m. between Newcastle and Edinburgh. On Monday to Friday the van which would return from Edinburgh to London on the subsequent 6:25 p.m. ran in the 2:20 p.m. down departure for Edinburgh as far as Newcastle. It did not run on Saturdays. However, a same class of van was shown in the 1914 T.C.W.I. as being attached at Newcastle for Edinburgh to the Saturday night but not the Sunday night 23:45 p.m. departure from London. This is explained by a “Not Mondays” note for the Sunday night train.
The van attached during the early hours of Sunday to the 23:45 p.m. from London on Saturday night is shown as working back in the Up direction to London on the 6:25 p.m. from Edinburgh, which must have been the 6:25 p.m. on Monday, since the train did not run on Sundays.

Sundays

A much more complex train was revealed in new information received September 2019.

12:00 p.m. Edinburgh – London.
Nine carriage set on departure Edinburgh. Weight 261 T 11 Cwt.

N.E.R. T.P.O. was attached from Edinburgh to Berwick Upon Tweed, which had worked down from Newcastle at 3:08 a.m.
N.E.R. two-carriage dining set for Newcastle, which had worked down from Newcastle on Saturday's 12:12 p.m. from Newcastle
Edinburgh for London portion.
Three carriages, two of which had worked down from London on the previous day’s Saturdays Only 2:20 p.m. and a Corridor Brake Third which had worked down on the previous night’s Saturdays Only variation of the 11:45 p.m. from London.
Edinburgh to York portion.
Three NER carriages which had worked down on the previous day's 1:30 p.m. from Normanton, and appear to be all corridor stock.
Newcastle to London portion
A G.N.R. BCK added at Newcastle.
Hull to London Portion
A G.N.R. BCK added at Doncaster.York to London portionFive G.N.R. carriages added at the head of the train at York, including a Dining First and Dining Third. Noted as returning down from London "locally"(i.e. with a G.N.R. service)

There is no Sunday E.C.J.S. daytime down train shown in the T.C.W.I. reproduced by Harris, so there is no Sunday inbound stock to provide carriages for a balancing Sunday working back from London, hence the use of stock from other Down trains.
No dining cars appear to be rostered for this train and April 1910 Bradshaw's has no notation advertising dining facilities.

The overview of the overnight express passenger trains to follow.

Last edited:
I thought I had made a breakthrough with co-relating NER rolling stock to the Carriage roster.
However, I am stuck.
I am unable to relate the Carriage Design numbers to the descriptions in the NER Carriage Roster and the Code Signals.
Would it help if I purchased the NERA publication, NER Passenger Vehicles 1909 Volumes 1-5.

Hello Jack

The documents make one work, that is for sure. The E.C.J.S. Through Carriage Working Instructions deal with "class numbers", which requires Hoole to decipher, while the L.N.E.R. N.E. Area Carriage Roster for 1926 utilise telegraphic codes. An example is the roster requiring an "EC XVV", which is a East Coast 52ft Vacuum ATB fitted Van - in other words, what we would think of now as a corridor bogie brake van (BG) - Except there were NO 52ft East Coast BGs, There were 46ft 6in and 56ft 6in ones prior to 1923 and some 61ft 6in ones after 1923 (L.N.E.R. Gresley BGs in the East Coast main Line allocation in 1926 were also EC XVV). However, ANY EC 56'6"/61'6" with dual westinghouse/vacuum auto train brake fitment would suffice, which gives you around six different diagrams of E.C.J.S. carriage to choose from. A photo is worth a thousand words with this regard but of course many trains went unrecorded.

As for purchasing the N.E.R.A. Carriage drawings, they are useful and will at least give you an idea of what each carriage looked like. It is expensive to get them to Oz though, They will weigh between half a kilo and a kilo. If you have a pressing need I can refer to my copies for you.

Regards
Frank

Last edited:
The Up E.C.J.S. Overnight Express Passenger Train Overview

The Up Train Overnight overview

The Up overnight trains included sleeping cars. Portioned working was the norm. Several carriages working south overnight had worked north attached to daytime trains Others were hauled north overnight as empty stock.
This post deals with the Weekday overnight workings.
The 7:45 p.m. edited following new information received September 2019

Weekdays – Monday to Saturdays.

Weekday nights Monday to Friday saw four departures from Edinburgh for London, dropping to two, at 7:45 p.m and 10:55 p.m. on Saturday nights.

7:45 p.m. Edinburgh – London. Not Saturdays.

Seven carriage set departing Edinburgh. Weight 206 T 13 Cwt

All from Edinburgh.
Several carriages worked down from London on the previous day’s 2:20 p.m.
The Sleeping Car worked down to Glasgow on the previous day’s 8:45 p.m. from London, working back empty from Glasgow to Edinburgh during the day.
A Brake Van worked down earlier the same day, starting from London at 4:45 a.m. attached to a G.N.R. train, switched to the 9:38 a.m. N.E.R. express passenger train for Glasgow at York, which departed Leeds at 9:00 a.m.
A Brake Third worked down to Edinburgh on the previous day’s 11:45 p.m. from London.
A two-carriage portion of N.E.R. carriages for Normanton which had worked from York, departing 9:57 a.m. the same day.
A N.E.R. T.P.O. from Edinburgh to Normanton, possibly one of the three 52ft 1910 built NE Diagram 183 carriages, worked north from York with the 10 a.m. from London.
At Newcastle during the early hours of the following day at the head of the train three carriages were added for London.
They were a GNR BG, GN&NEJS TK and GN&NEJS Sleeping car. They would work back north to Newcastle at 11:45 p.m. the same day.

7:45 p.m. Edinburgh – London. Saturdays Only.

Seven carriage set departing Edinburgh. Weight 206 T 13 Cwt

All from Edinburgh.
Several carriages worked down from London on the previous day’s 2:20 p.m.
The Sleeping Car worked down to Glasgow on the previous day’s 8:45 p.m. from London, working back empty from Glasgow to Edinburgh during the day.
A Brake Van worked down earlier the same day, starting from London at 4:45 a.m. attached to a G.N.R. train, switched to the 9:38 a.m. N.E.R. express passenger train for Glasgow at York, which departed Leeds at 9:00 a.m.
A Brake Third worked down to Edinburgh on the previous day’s 11:45 p.m. from London.
A two-carriage portion of N.E.R. carriages for Normanton which had worked from York, departing 9:57 a.m. the same day.
A N.E.R. T.P.O. from Edinburgh to Normanton, possibly one of the three 52ft 1910 built NE Diagram 183 carriages, worked north from York with the 10 a.m. from London.
At Newcastle at the head of the train one carriage was added for London, a GNR BCK which had travelled north with the Saturday 2:20 p.m from London.

10:35 p.m. Edinburgh – London. Not Saturdays.

Mondays Only - Seven carriage set on departure Edinburgh. I calculate the weight to be 220 T 1 Cwt
Tuesdays to Fridays - Five carriage set on departure Edinburgh. I calculate the weight to be 159 T 15 Cwt

Portions from Perth and Edinburgh.
Perth portion, departed Perth at 7:55 p.m.
On Mondays Only the Perth portion was double sized, amalgamating two down portions. One had worked down on the previous Saturday Only 11:30 p.m. from London while the other worked to Inverness as a portion on Friday’s 7:55 p.m. from London, working back to Perth as empty stock on Saturday. It is this latter working which formed the regular Perth portion, Tuesday through Friday.

Edinburgh portion.
One carriage had worked down on that morning’s 11:20 a.m. while two others had worked down to North Berwick on the previous day’s 11:45 p.m. (Sundays to Fridays) from London as far as Newcastle, attached to the 5:50 a.m. N.E.R. passenger train for Edinburgh as far as Drem, then to North Berwick, arriving 9:08 a.m. Subsequently worked as empty stock to Edinburgh.

10:55 p.m. Edinburgh – London. Not Saturdays.

Seven carriage set departing Edinburgh. I calculate the weight to be 200 T 7 Cwt.

Portions from Glasgow, Montrose and Fort William.
Glasgow portion, departed Glasgow 9:35 p.m. The carriages worked down on the previous 11:45 p.m. (Mon-Fri only version from London).
Montrose portion, departed Montrose 7:50 p.m. Down working the previous 8:15 p.m. (Mon-Fri only from London).
Fort William portion, departed Fort William 5:05 p.m. The carriages, including a Sleeping car, worked down on previous 7:55 p.m. (Mon-Fri only from London).

10:55 p.m. Edinburgh – London. Saturdays Only.

Three carriage set on departure Edinburgh. I calculate the weight to be 95 T 3 Cwt.
All from Glasgow, departing 9:35 p.m.

11:15 p.m. Edinburgh – London. Not Saturdays

Ten carriage set on departure Edinburgh. I calculate the weight to be 305 T 15 Cwt.
This makes it the heaviest overnight up train.

Portions from Inverness, Aberdeen, and Glasgow
Inverness portion, departed Inverness 5:00 p.m. Four carriages worked down on the previous day’s 7:55 p.m. (Mon-Fri Only from London).
Aberdeen portion, departed Aberdeen 7:35 p.m. Five carriages worked down on the previous day’s 8:15 p.m. (Mon-Fri Only from London)
Glasgow portion, departed Glasgow 9:35 p.m. (for Newcastle), worked down on the previous day’s 8:15 p.m., attached at Newcastle for Glasgow (Mon-Fri Only from London).

According to Bradshaw’s for July 1922, this train did not take up passengers from Edinburgh, though the 11:05 p.m. in Bradshaw’s for April 1910 has no such restriction. The April 1910 Bradshaw’s, being springtime has sleeping saloons and through carriages from Inverness and Perth on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays only, with daily Sleeping cars from Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Bradshaw’s for 1922 has restaurant facilities advertised for passengers between Aberdeen and Edinburgh. No such facility is advertised for the 1910 service. It is difficult to reliably determine when the Edinburgh restriction and the provision of dining car for Aberdeen – Edinburgh started without further research. My guess would be it came in post-WWI.

Posting limits mean that Sunday workings are to follow

Last edited:
The Up Overnight Express Passenger Train Overview

Sundays

Two overnight trains in the Up direction departing Edinburgh on Sunday nights.
More information received September 2019

7:45 p.m. Edinburgh – London. Sundays only.

Nine carriage set on departure Edinburgh. Weight 263 T 11 Cwt.

Portions from Aberdeen, Perth, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Aberdeen portion departed Aberdeen at 3:30 p.m. Two carriages worked down on the previous day's Saturdays Only 11:30 p.m.
The Perth portion departed Perth at 4:10 p.m. Two carriages worked down to Perth on the previous day’s Saturdays Only 11:30 p.m.
The Glasgow portion departed Glasgow at 5:05 p.m. Three carriages worked down on the previous day's Saturday Only 8:45 p.m.
Edinburgh portion. Two carriages, a sleeper was described as a spare and an N.E.R. T.P.O. for Normanton.
At Newcastle at the head of the train three carriages were added for London.
They were a GNR BG, GN&NEJS TK and GN&NEJS Sleeping car. They had worked down north to Newcastle on 11:45 p.m. Friday.

The T.W.C.I. does not mention how the Edinburgh spare Sleeper gets back as a down working.

The lack of van space in the Perth portion is unusual since passengers, particularly First Class, tended not to travel light. Having to recover baggage from the N.B.R. brake van on arrival Edinburgh and then shift it to one of the two Brake Compos in the train for London would be a significant inconvenience. The only reason I can think of this being tolerated would be that few passengers were expected to travel, meaning baggage would be stowed in one or more empty compartments!

Note: - Where experience suggested a higher number of passengers, I believe that Perth would not normally have an E.C.J.S. Brake Van, Brake Compo or Brake Third to hand in a siding. However, on a Sunday afternoon there were four E.C.J.S. carriages in the sidings, which were all rostered to depart Perth at 7:55 p.m. Monday. The carriages were a Brake Van and Third which had arrived that morning from London along with a Brake Van and Third which had worked as empty stock from Inverness on Saturday. A telegram or telephone call to Edinburgh might have sufficed to authorise the connection of a Brake Van (or both Brake Van plus Third) to the Sunday 4:10 p.m. departure.

It is important to realise that the T.C.W.I. were a set of requirements but were not written in stone. Circumstances could, and did, require departures from what the T.C.W.I. required. Strengthening, substitution, duplication and even triplication were necessary at times and where possible departures from the T.C.W.I. would keep in mind the quality of the original required carriage and the number of seats. Carriages were no more reliable then than they are now and failures could happen. The District Traffic Superintendents at London, York, Newcastle and Edinburgh were authorised to make changes as they deemed necessary.

There were carriages available at the major stations to cover. For example, the TC.W.I. has no formal roster for any of the eight Class 283/E.C. Diag. 53 Brake Thirds built in 1901. This at the same time as the T.C.W.I. requiring five out of the six 1896/1897 built Class 262/265 E.C. Diag. 50/51 carriages! Similarly, there are no formal rosters for the six 1901 built Class 322/323 E.C. Diag. 54/55 Brake Thirds. There were sixteen Thirds to Class 73/E.C. Diag. 22, built in 1907 on stock but are invisible the 1914 T.C.W.I.

Others were used lightly. The T.C.W.I. required four Class 98/E.C. Diag. 49 daily but there were seven on stock. That is seventeen Brake Third carriages and sixteen Third carriages to draw upon, though where each was allocated is guesswork and of course they also were sometimes in the workshops.

10:50 p.m. Edinburgh – London. Sundays Only.

Six carriage set on departure Edinburgh. Weight 193 T

Portions from Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Glasgow portion, departed Glasgow 8:35 p.m. Three carriages worked down to Glasgow on the previous day’s Saturday's 8:45 p.m. and 11:45 p.m.
Edinburgh portion. Subject to revision due to full 1914 T.C.W.I. received Sept 2019 - Two carriages worked down to North Berwick on Friday’s 11:45 p.m. Empty stock then to Edinburgh on Saturday. One carriage worked down on the Saturdays Only version of the 11:30 p.m.while another worked down on the Saturday’s Only version of the 11:45 p.m. A final one worked down on Saturday’s 11:20 a.m.
Edinburgh Portion - Revised: Three carriages, Brake Composite worked down on Saturday; 8:45 p.m. Third Class worked down on Saturday's 11:45 p.m. and Sleeping Car worked down on Sturday's 11:30 p.m.

Detailed breakdowns to follow.

Last edited:
1914 E.C.J.S. Down Express Passenger Train Detailed breakdown

Detailed Consists - Down Trains
Listings start at the head of the train, working towards the rear.
Set length and weights for departure London.
On the E.C.M.L. all Brake vans, Brake Compos, Brake Thirds and Locker Compos had special instructions applicable regarding the loading of baggage and mails etc.

¹ indicates that the T.C.W.I. explicitly specify a dual-braked carriage.
TC indicates Through Carriage(s)

Weekdays – Monday to Saturday
9:50 a.m. London to Edinburgh.
Eight carriages. 257 T 14 Cwt.

London to Edinburgh
BTK #280 Diag 52
TK #93 Diag 23
TK #93 Diag 23
TO #354 Diag 33
RTP #313 Diag 30
RF #310 Diag 76A
FK #86 Diag 56A
BG #45 Diag 36

10:00 a.m. London to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth and Aberdeen.
Ten carriages. 303 T 17 Cwt

York to Edinburgh
NER GPO
London to Glasgow
BTK #97 Diag 49A
CK #78 Diag 3A
London to Edinburgh
CK #1 Diag 2A
TO #192 Diag 29A
RK #211 Diag 80A
FO #190 Diag 75A
London to Perth
CG #76 Diag 2B
London to Aberdeen
CK #1 Diag 2A
TK #24 Diag 34
BG #155 Diag 39B

10:35 a.m. London to Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Ten carriages. 295 T 14 Cwt

York to Newcastle – (Bristol to Newcastle TC)
MR BT
MR C
MR BT
London to Glasgow
BCK¹ #342 Diag 47
TK¹ #38 Diag 19
London to Edinburgh
CK #301 Diag 13
RTP #64 Diag 31
RC #352 Diag 78
TK #38 Diag 19
BG #45 Diag 36
London to Peterborough – (London to Cromer TC)
GNR Semi-Open Third
GNR BCK
GNR BG
Grantham to Doncaster – (Saturdays Only)
GNR BTK
GNR TK
Newcastle to Alnmouth
NER BC
NER BT

While the T.C.W.I. lists non-corridor Midland Railway carriages, the N.E.R. 1912-13 Winter timetable advertises the 9:45 a.m. from Bristol to Newcastle as having dining facilities! April 1910 Bradshaw's advertises the 9:45 a.m. as the "Newcastle Corridor Express, Restaurant Car Bristol to Newcastle". The Dining cars were removed at either Sheffield Midland or York. Dining facilities betwen York and Newcastle were in the E.C.J.S. dining cars so long as the carriages had adaptors to fit between the M.R. British Standard and E.C.J.S Pullman connections).

11:20 a.m. London to Edinburgh, North Berwick, Perth and Montrose.
Nine carriages. 287 T 8 Cwt

London to Edinburgh
BTK #262 Diag 50
London to Perth
CK #298 Diag 12
London to Montrose
CG¹ #17 Diag 2
TK¹ #38 Diag 19
London to Edinburgh
RTP #64 Diag 31
RC #316 Diag 79
FK #86 Diag 56A
BG #45 Diag 36
London to North Berwick
BCK¹ #80 Diag 45
Darlington to Newcastle – (Keswick – Newcastle TC)
NER BC

2:20 p.m. London Kings Cross - Edinburgh Waverley. Monday to Friday.
Nine carriages. 274 T 13 Cwt

London to Edinburgh
BCK #239 Diag 46
TK #24 Diag 34
TK #24 Diag 34
TO #14 Diag 15
RTP #304 Diag 29
RF #332 Diag 77A
FK #122 Diag 58
BG #19 Diag 35
London to Newcastle
BV #49 Diag 37

2:20 p.m. London to Edinburgh. Saturday Only.
Eleven carriages. 364 T 9 Cwt.

London to Edinburgh
BTK¹ #98 Diag 49
BCK #239 Diag 46
TK #24 Diag 34
BCK¹246 Diag 6A
TK #24 Diag 34
TO #14 Diag 15
RTP #304 Diag 29
RF #332 Diag 77A
FK #122 Diag 58
BG #19 Diag 35
London to Newcastle
GNR BCK (GNR Diag 171 or 218A/F/G)

7:55 p.m. London to Inverness and Fort William. Not Saturday.
Nine carriages. 246 T 9 Cwt

London to Inverness
BG #45 Diag 36
TK #24 Diag 34
TK #24 Diag 34
SLF #120 Diag 63
CK #17 Diag 2
BG #19 Diag 35
London to Fort William
TK #38 Diag 19
SLC #90 Diag 69
BG #289 Diag 42

8:15 p.m. London to Edinburgh, Montrose and Aberdeen. Not Saturday.
Eight carriages. 235 T 16 Cwt

Newcastle to Glasgow
BTK¹ #262 Diag 50 (S End Brake. Dep London 4:30 p.m. via G.N.R.)
London to Glasgow
BG #19 Diag 35
London to Edinburgh
BG #19 Diag 35
London to Aberdeen
BG #19 Diag 35
TK #24 Diag 34
TK #24 Diag 34
SLF #165 Diag 64
BCK #239 Diag 46
London to Montrose
BTK #262 Diag 50 (S End Brake)

8:45 p.m. London to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Not Saturday.
Eleven carriages. 274 T 5 Cwt

London to Hull
GNR 6w Brake Van (As required)
London to Leeds
GNR 6w Mail Van
London to Newcastle
GNR 6w Mail Van
GNR 6w Mail Van
GN&NEJS BG
Newcastle to Edinburgh
NER GPO
London to Glasgow
BCK #239 Diag 46
TK #24 Diag 34
SLC #147 Diag 72
London to Edinburgh
BTK #98 Diag 49
Twin CK #202 Diag 5
BTK #262 Diag 50

8:45 p.m. London to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Saturdays Only.
Eleven carriages. 272 T 8 Cwt

London to Leeds
GNR 6w Mail Van
London to Newcastle
GNR 6w Mail Van
GNR 6w Mail Van
Newcastle to Glasgow
BCK¹ #262 Diag 50 S End Brake
London to Glasgow
BG #45 Diag 36
TK #24 Diag 34
SLC #147 Diag 72
BG #19 Diag 35
London to Perth
BG #19 Diag 35
London to Edinburgh
BCK #342 Diag 47 S End Brake
London to Montrose
BCK #342 Diag 47
London to Aberdeen
BG #19 Diag 35

11:30 p.m. London to Aberdeen and Perth. Saturdays Only.
Eight carriages. 244 T 7 Cwt.

London to Aberdeen
BCK #342 Diag 47
TK #38 Diag 19
SLF #125 Diag 62
London to Perth
SLF #120 Diag 63
TK #24 Diag 34
CK #17 Diag 2
TK #38 Diag 23
BG #45 Diag 36

11:45 p.m. London to Newcastle, North Berwick, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Mon to Fri.
Nine carriages. 282 T 12 Cwt.

Newcastle to Edinburgh
B #49 Diag 37
London to Glasgow
BCK #342 Diag 47
BTK #98 Diag 49
SLF #235 Diag 66
London to Edinburgh
BTK #262 Diag 50 (brake van at south end)
London to North Berwick
SLF¹ #235 Diag 66 (Detach Newcastle at 5:18 a.m. – Attach to 5:50 a.m. N.E.R. train for Edinburgh ǂ)
BCK¹ #80 Diag 45 (Detach Newcastle at 5:18 a.m. – Attach to 5:50 a.m. N.E.R. train for Edinburgh ǂ)
London to Newcastle
GN&NEJS SLF
GN&NEJS TK
GN&NEJS BG

ǂ N. Berwick portion detached at Drem, arrives 9:08 a.m.

11:45 p.m. London to Newcastle, North Berwick, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Saturday Only.
Eight carriages. 227 T 17 Cwt.

Newcastle to Edinburgh
B #49 Diag 37
London to Glasgow
BCK #342 Diag 47
TK #38 Diag 23
SLF #165 Diag 64
London to Edinburgh
TK #38 Diag 23
BTK¹ #280 Diag 52
London to Newcastle
GN&NEJS BG
GNR BG
London to York
GNR BG

Sundays Only

During 1914 there were no E.C.J.S daytime express passenger train departures from London for Scotland.
By 1922 Bradshaw’s for July shows a single E.C.J.S. Down daytime express passenger train, departing 11:30 a.m. as a Restaurant Car express to Edinburgh and Glasgow. 8:30 p.m. at Edinburgh, 9:50 p.m. at Glasgow

8:45 p.m. London to Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Eleven carriages. 300 T 5 Cwt

London to Leeds
GNR 6w Mail Van
London to Newcastle
GNR 6w Mail Van
GNR 6w Mail Van
GN&NEJS RTP (GN&NEJS stock working ECS)

GN&NEJS RF
Newcastle to Edinburgh
NER GPO (Attached Newcastle at 3:08 a.m. Monday)

London to Glasgow
BCK #239 Diag 46
TK #24 Diag 34
SLC #147 Diag 72
London to Edinburgh
BTK #98 Diag 49
Twin CK #202 Diag 5
BTK #262 Diag 50

11:45 p.m. London to Newcastle, North Berwick, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Nine carriages. 282 T 12 Cwt.

Newcastle to Edinburgh
B #49 Diag 37 (Attached at Newcastle at 5:18 a.m. Monday)
London to Glasgow
BCK #342 Diag 47
BTK #98 Diag 49
SLF #235 Diag 66
London to Edinburgh
London to North Berwick
SLF¹ #235 Diag 66 (Detached at Newcastle at 5:18 a.m. Monday – Attached to 5:50 a.m. N.E.R. departure for Edinburgh ǂ)
BCK¹ #80 Diag 45 (Detached at Newcastle at 5:18 a.m. Monday – Attached to 5:50 a.m. N.E.R. departure for Edinburgh ǂ)
London to Newcastle
GN&NEJS SLF (GN&NEJS working as empty stock)
GN&NEJS TK
GN&NEJS BG

ǂ North Berwick portion detached at Drem, arrives 9:08 a.m.

Last edited:
1914 E.C.J.S. Up Daytime Express Passenger Train Detailed breakdown

Detailed Consists - Daytime Up Trains

Listings start at the head of the train, working towards the rear.
On the E.C.M.L. all Brake vans, Brake Composites, Brake Thirds and Locker Composites had special instructions applicable to them regarding the loading of baggage and mails etc.

¹ indicates that the Through Carriage Working Instructions explicitly specify a dual-braked carriage is utilised.

7:45 a.m. Edinburgh to London.
Six carriages on departure Edinburgh. 173 T 16 Cwt

Edinburgh to Newcastle
NER BCK (NE Diag 174, 3 built 1909. 4 built 1912)
NER RC (NE Diag 166 3 built 1908)
Newcastle to London
GN&NEJS BG (NEJS Diag 13 or 18)
GN&NEJS FK (NEJS Diag 6)
GN&NEJS RF (NEJS Diag 1)
GN&NEJS RTP (NEJS Diag 2)
GN&NEJS TO (NEJS Diag 9)
Edinburgh to London
TK #38 Diag 19
TK #38 Diag 19
CG #292 Diag 10
BG #45 Diag

10:00 a.m. Edinburgh to London.
Eight carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 257 T 14 Cwt

Edinburgh to London
BG #45 Diag 36
FK #86 Diag 56A
RF #310 Diag 76A
RTP #313 Diag 30
TO #354 Diag 33
TK #93 Diag 23
TK #93 Diag 23
BTK #280 Diag 52

10:15 a.m. Edinburgh to London.
Ten carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 303 T 17 Cwt

Aberdeen to London
BG #155 Diag 39B
TK #24 Diag 34
CK #1 Diag 2A
Perth to London
CG #76 Diag 2B
Edinburgh to London
CK #1 Diag 2A
FO #190 Diag 75A
RK #211 Diag 80A
TO #192 Diag 29A
Glasgow to London
CK #78 Diag 3A
BTK #97 Diag 49A

10:25 a.m. Edinburgh to London.

Four carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 121 T 1 Cwt

Edinburgh to London
BTK #262 Diag 50
Twin CK #202 Diag 5
BTK #98 Diag 49
BG #45 Diag 36

12:25 p.m. Edinburgh to London.

Six carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 181 T 9 Cwt

Glasgow to London
TK¹ #38 Diag 19
BCK¹ #342 Diag 47
Edinburgh to London
FK #86 Diag 56A
RC #316 Diag 79
RTP #64 Diag 31
BG #45 Diag 36
Drem to London – (North Berwick to London through carriages)
BCK¹ #80 Diag 45

2:00 p.m. Edinburgh to London.

Seven carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 238 T 4 Cwt

Edinburgh to London
BG #19 Diag 35
FK #122 Diag 58
RF #332 Diag 77A
RTP #304 Diag 29
TO #14 Diag 15
TK #24 Diag 34
BG #19 Diag 35

2:30 p.m. Edinburgh to London.

Eight carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 274 T 15Cwt

Aberdeen to London
TK¹ #38 Diag 19
CK¹ #17 Diag 2
Perth to London
CK #298 Diag 12
RC #352 Diag 78
Edinburgh to London
RTP #64 Diag 31
CK #301 Diag 13
Glasgow to London
TK #24 Diag 34
BCK #239 Diag 46

6:25 p.m. Edinburgh to Leeds (via York).
This was not an E.C.J.S. express passenger train but E.C.J.S. vans were conveyed.
Ten carriage set Monday 254 T 16 Cwt
Nine carriage set Tuesday to Saturday 241 T 19 Cwt

Edinburgh to York
BG #49 Diag 37 (Attached Mondays Only)
BG #49 Diag 37
BG #19 Diag 35
BG #19 Diag 35
Glasgow to Leeds (Source 1926 NE Area Carriage Roster Set #313)
NER¹ BTK (3) (NE Diag 157)
NER¹ TK (NE Diag 156)
NER¹ TO (NE Diag 155)
NER¹ RT (NE Diag 170)
NER¹ FO (NE Diag 158)
NER¹ BFK (2) (NE Diag 154)

A single example of 3-compartment BTK to NE Diagram 194 was built during 1912, so it is possible that carriage ran in the Leeds to Glasgow set.
However, ten very similar BTKs were built by York to Diagram 555 for the LNER S Area GE section during 1923 as Nos. 1051E-60E (from 1925 Nos. 62504-13).

Sundays
More information on the 12:00 noon received September 2019

12:00 p.m. Edinburgh to London.

Nine carriage set on departure Edinburgh. Weight 261 T 11 Cwt.

York to London
GNR BF
GNR TK
GNR RF
GNR TO
GNR BTK
Edinburgh to Berwick
NER TPO
Edinburgh to Newcastle
NER BCK (NE Diag 174, 3 built 1909. 4 built 1912)
NER RC (NE Diag 166 3 built 1908)
Edinburgh to London
BTK¹ #98 Diag 49
CG
¹ #246 Diag 6
BTK¹ #280 Diag 52
Edinburgh to York
NER BFK (NE Diag 153, seven built 1908 - 1910)
NER TK (NE Diag 156, nine built 1908 - 1909)
NER BTK (NE Diag 157, three built 1908 - 1909)
Newcastle to London
GNR BCK
Hull to London
GNR BCK

Detailed breakdown of overnight trains to follow.

Last edited:
1914 E.C.J.S. Up Overnight Express Passenger Train Detailed breakdown

More information received September 2019

* indicates a non-vestibule carriage

Weekdays – Monday to Friday

7:45 p.m. Edinburgh to London.
Seven carriage set departing Edinburgh. 206 T 13 Cwt

Newcastle to London
GNR BG
GN&NEJS TK
GN&NEJS SLF
Edinburgh to London
BTK #262 Diag 50 (Brake at south end)
SLC #147 Diag 72
TK #24 Diag 34
BCK #239 Diag 46
Edinburgh to Normanton (arr 2:25 a.m.)
NER C*
NER BT*

NER TPO (Possibly NE Diag 183)

10:35 p.m. Edinburgh to London. Mondays Only.
Seven carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 220 T 1 Cwt
Perth to London

BG #45 Diag 36
BG #45 Diag 36
TK #24 Diag 34
TK #24 Diag 34
Edinburgh to London
BCK¹ #80 Diag 45
SLF¹ #235 Diag 66
BTK #262 Diag 50 (Brake at north end)

10:35 p.m. Edinburgh to London. Not Mondays.
Five carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 159 T 15 Cwt
Perth to London
BG #45 Diag 36
TK #24 Diag 34
Edinburgh to London
BCK¹ #80 Diag 45
SLF¹ #235 Diag 66

10:55 p.m. Edinburgh to London.
Seven carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 200 T 7 Cwt.
Montrose to London
Glasgow to London
BTK #98 Diag 49
SLF #235 Diag 66
BCK #342 Diag 47
Fort William to London
SLC #90 Diag 69
TK #38 Diag 19
BG #289 Diag 42

11:15 p.m. Edinburgh to London.
Ten carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 305 T 15 Cwt.
This makes it the heaviest overnight up train.
Glasgow to Newcastle
BTK¹ #262 Diag 50 (Brake at south end)
Inverness to London
BG #19 Diag 35
CK #17 Diag 2
SLF #120 Diag 63
TK #24 Diag 34
Aberdeen to London.
BCK #239 Diag 46
SLF #165 Diag 64
TK #24 Diag 34
TK #24 Diag 34
BG #19 Diag 35

Saturdays

Seven carriage set departing Edinburgh. 206 T 13 Cwt

Newcastle to London
GNR BCK
Edinburgh to London
BTK #262 Diag 50 (Brake at south end)
SLC #147 Diag 72
TK #24 Diag 34
BCK #239 Diag 46
Edinburgh to Normanton (arr 2:25 a.m.)
NER C*
NER BT*

NER TPO (Possibly NE Diag 183)

10:55 p.m. Edinburgh to London.
Three carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 95 T 3 Cwt.
Glasgow to London.
TK #38 Diag 23
SLF #165 Diag 64
BCK #342 Diag 47

Sundays

Seven carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 218 T 4 Cwt.
Aberdeen to London
TK #38 Diag 19
BCK #342 Diag 47
Perth to London
TK #38 Diag 23
CK #17 Diag 2
Edinburgh to London
SLF #125 Diag 62
TK #24 Diag 34
BCK #239 Diag 46

10:50 p.m. Edinburgh to London.
Eight carriage set on departure Edinburgh. 258 T 12 Cwt
Glasgow to London
TK #38 Diag 23
SLF #165 Diag 64
BCK #342 Diag 47
Edinburgh to London
SLF #120 Diag 63
TK #38 Diag 23
BCK¹ #80 Diag 45
SLF¹ #235 Diag 66

Last edited:
The E.C.J.S. "Bigger Picture"

The E.C.J.S. “Bigger Picture”.

Is this the complete picture of E.C.J.S. carriage rostering in 1914? No, it is not. To quote Steve Banks from his website: “If there's a moral in all this it's that reality bites: surviving records such as Carriage Working books that are all too often trotted out as if gospel only indicate what was planned, not what happened on a practical basis.” Taking a look at his work on the website relating to the L.N.E.R. period Flying Scotsman gives an example of the pitfalls when looking at things from seven or more decades down the line. Some misrepresentations in books are mentioned. Authors can and do make errors.

The 1914 T.C.W.I. reproduced in Harris has no details of the duplicates. Duplication, substitutions and strengthening did take place. How you do it as a modeller should be guided by some operating principles, which Banks mentions. One such is; “The actual choice of stock should come as no surprise for all the best carriages in the fleet were spoken for in specific trains in the normal pecking order, from the best to, shall we say, the least best. Laid aside in the carriage sidings was a selection of the principal types and qualities for substitution as required, and more or less complete spare sets that were adjusted according to need for a relief. On a busy day many trains were duplicated, occasionally even run in three "parts". A strengthening carriage would, as far as practicable, be selected to match the quality of the train. Even so, the closest match available on the day to the operating department might not have been a close one. Inevitably, part three of a triplication was likely to be rather older than the scheduled train which was being triplicated.

Looking at the 1926 L.N.E.R. N.E. Area July 1926 Carriage Roster gives me a clue as to the possible existence of other workings of E.C.J.S. carriages, particularly the full brake vans. This roster must be treated with caution, since it dates to three and a half years after the grouping, which itself was somewhat different from that applicable to 1914. However, the N.E.R.A. preface expresses the opinion that, given it pre-dates the major changes coming to the L.N.E.R. during the late 1920s, it is the closest reproduction of the last year of N.E.R. pre-grouping operations which is currently known. I must also advise that in the 1926 roster the former E.C.J.S. and G.N. & N.E.J.S. carriages surviving in use on the East Coast Main Line in East Coast main Line services from the East Coast allocation pool were all considered as “East Coast” carriages. A carriage built post-1923 and in “E.C.” stock would also be labelled as “East Coast” Carriages in the roster.

How does this connect to the pre-1923 E.C.J.S.? The L.N.E.R. N.E. Area roster has a section on “foreign” carriages and one for “Mail, Parcels and Milk Vans”. Carriages which originated outside the L.N.E.R. N.E. Area and were bound for destinations outside the L.N.E.R. N.E. Area are completely invisible in the roster.

Roster No. 57 – E.C. XVV – Edinburgh dep 10:25 a.m.
York arr 4:48 p.m. dep 7:44 p.m.
London arr unknown. – possibly the arrival at London may have varied by time and even route taken.

This carriage is visible in the N.E. roster because it required handling at York – it was detached from one train and attached to another.
An XVV was a 52ft Vacuum-ATB fitted carriage – no E.C.J.S or E.C.M.L. L.N.E.R. carriage was 52ft though – a 56ft 6in bogie or 61ft 6in bogie carriage would do.

Roster No. 58 – E.C. XVV – Edinburgh dep 2:35 p.m.
Newcastle arr 6:40 p.m. dep 7:15 p.m.
York arr 9:34 p.m. dep 10:10 p.m.
London arr 3:25 a.m.

This van leaves Edinburgh behind an ordinary passenger train (N.E. roster No. 19 - which started its day at Ferryhill in County Durham at 7:35 a.m. and would end its day on reaching York at 9:34 p.m.). The 2:35 p.m. took four hours five minutes to cover the one hundred and twenty-five miles to Newcastle. From Newcastle at 7:15 p.m. in the Up direction this four passenger carriage roster (which ran with a strengthening fifth carriage (Lav Compo) (Newcastle at 9:20 a.m. to York at 9:34 p.m.)) would have no less than six vans plus a N.E.R. - P.O. attached!

The E.C. XVV from Edinburgh
One VV (32ft) attached at Tweedmouth for Leeds (Roster No. 4)
Two more E.C. XVV from Newcastle to London (Roster No. 126)
One N.E. or G.C. XVV for Manchester (Roster No. 100)
One N.E. or G.C. XVV to Liverpool (Roster No. unknown). I could not find a roster number for a GC XVV van in the N.E. Area book with a timing from Newcastle at 7:15 p.m.!

With the probability that the 6:25 p.m. Edinburgh - York conveyed one of the three 52ft NE Diag 183 TPOs, the newest in stock, it is possible that the 7:15 p.m. from Newcastle hauled one of the five older 1904 built 52ft NE Diag 93 carriages. In pre-grouping days the livery carried was that of the N.E.R. with a scarlet box painted around the mail slot in the side of the carriage for letters posted at station stops.

Roster No. 114 – E.C. XVV – London dep 4:55 a.m. – typo – I believe it to be the 4:45 a.m.
York arr 9:18 a.m. dep 9:38 a.m.
Edinburgh arr 1:44 p.m. dep 7:40 p.m. – the 7:45 p.m. in the 1914 T.C.W.I.
London arr 6:44 a.m.

Roster No. 115 – E.C. XVV – London dep 4:45 a.m.
York arr 9:18 a.m. dep 10:05 a.m.
Edinburgh arr 3:40 p.m. dep 7:40 p.m. – the 7:45 p.m. in the 1914 T.C.W.I.
London arr unknown

Roster No. 126 – E.C. XVV – London dep 4:55 a.m. – typo – I believe it to be the 4:45 a.m.
York arr 9:18 a.m. dep 10:05 a.m.
Newcastle arr 12:09 p.m. dep 7:15 p.m. – the 7:45 p.m. in the 1914 T.C.W.I.
York arr 9:34 p.m. dep 10:10 p.m.
London arr 3:25 a.m.

The Theory and the Practise

Theory and Practise

Which carriage diagrams were used to comply with the 1914 Through Carriage Working Instructions? The E.C.J.S. practise of referring to a carriage by its “Class” (the lowest number carriage of the type) persisted through to the 1930s on the L.N.E.R.

The Full brakes of “Class 19” to E.C. Diagram 35 is one example, where to meet the requirements of the 1914 T.C.W.I. required more carriages of the class/diagram than actually existed. My belief is that the operating department considered that “class 19” could be met by using carriages from E.C. Diagram 39 and in practise pooled E.C. Diagram 35 and 39 carriages together. Nowhere in the 1914 T.C.W.I. does “class 126” appear (the lowest number assigned to an E.C. Diag 39 Brake).

A second potential example is also revealed by “over-rostering” in the 1914 T.C.W.I. This is the “Class 262”, the E.C. Diagram 50 Brake Third. Each weekday the T.C.W.I. requires four of them to run in the down direction but only three were built, at Doncaster in 1896/7. Doncaster built three more, though opposite-handed, in 1897, but designated as E.C. Diag 51. This would have been “Class 265” and it appears nowhere in the T.C.W.I.

There are some conundrums with these carriages. The first one is that the drawing for E.C. Diagram 50 shows it as having the corridor on the east side/right side of the carriage (where the brake end is at the south, buffers end of Kings Cross) which is unconventional for an E.C.J.S. coach, but the works photograph shows what looks like the corridor is on the conventional, left/west side!! The second conundrum is that the brake end had no corridor connection, making them “semi-vestibule” and operationally inflexible. According to Hoole Doncaster built the three E.C. Diagram 51 “opposite handed” but suspects that they were again not built to diagram. Does this mean that the Diagram 51 was built with the unconventional corridor side (opposite the as-built E.C. Diag 50) or with the conventional corridor side (opposite the E.C. Diag 50 drawing)? The only photograph of an E.C. Diag 51 in Hoole does not really show An E.C. Diag 51, it shows a Cowlairs built E.C. Diag 52!! In Hoole the E.C. Diagram 50 photograph caption wrongly says the carriage was built in 1907. It was built in 1897.

The 1914 T.C.W.I. has the “Class 262”/E.C. Diag 50 “book-ending” the consist of the 8:15 p.m. While this is no problem for the carriage at the south end of the train where the T.C.W.I. explicitly requires the carriage to have the brake end at the south end, it is a problem for any passengers in the “Class 262”/E.C. Diag 50 at the head of the train as the T.C.W.I. explicitly requires this carriage brake end to be at the south end, meaning there was no access between this carriage and the rest of the train. In reality, being an overnight train and only attached at Newcastle around 3:00 a.m. this may not have been a great inconvenience. On the 11:45 p.m. the presence of a “Class 262”/E.C. Diag 50 isolates the Glasgow and Edinburgh portions from the North Berwick and Newcastle portions, splitting the train in two.

Returning southbound on different trains, avoiding the same isolation would necessitate marshalling each carriage at the head of the southbound Up train. There is no record of the brake ends subsequently receiving corridor connectors. By 1914 almost all rosters for these carriages were on overnight trains. One did have a daytime roster in the up direction, on the 10:25 a.m. oddity from Edinburgh. One can only hope that it was marshalled at the head of the train.

I am at a loss to explain why, in 1914, the operating department continued to heavily use the seventeen-year old “Class 262” with their lack of corridor connection, when there were fourteen newer Brake Third carriages to “Class 283/322/323” with no visible presence in that season’s T.C.W.I. Presumably these other carriages were earmarked "for greater things", perhaps they were in carriage sidings in sets for the duplicate services of the premier trains.

Another example are the full brakes of “Class 45” (E.C. Diagram 36). There were sixteen of them, though the three E.C. Diagram 42, also built at Cowlairs, were almost identical, yet appear nowhere in the 1914 T.C.W.I. (where they would be “Class 289”).

During 1914, approximately 330 carriages were in E.C.J.S. stock. On a weekday, only 157 carriages were required to meet the requirements of the T.C.W.I. The degree of utilisation varied by class and type. 23 carriages were brake composites, 34 were brake thirds, 33 were compartment composites, 72 were compartment thirds, and merely 8 were compartment firsts. There were 15 kitchen carriages, 31 open dining thirds (15 with pantries) and only two open dining firsts. As to the more specialised carriages there were 49 sleeping cars, of which 11 were composite carriages where Third Class passengers still only had seated compartments. The E.C.J.S had approximately 64 full brakes on stock, of which around 12 were 6-wheelers.

Hoole reports that the 10:36 a.m. from London to Edinburgh was allocated a Great Northern & North Eastern Joint Stock Kitchen First and Pantry Third from London to Newcastle, which was exchanged for a North Eastern Railway Dining Composite and North Eastern Railway Corridor Brake Composite for the onward journey to Edinburgh. Unfortunately Hoole does not mention the date of his source for his Through Carriage Working Instructions. The 1914 T.C.W.I. explicitly allocates E.C.J.S. carriages. The G.N.&.N.E.J.S Kitchen Firsts were built in 1906 but the N.E.R. Dining Composites weren't built until 1908 (2020 addition - muddied somewhat by the D.105 RC of 1905 but no N.E.R. BCK built until 1909), Isinglass's drawings mentioning they were for the "Newcastle to Edinburgh service". It is quite possible that the 10:36 Hoole mentions was after 1909 but prior to 1914, or was a winter timetable configuration.

Last edited:
Further Observations on Composite Sleeping Carriages

It would appear that there was a demand for composite sleeping carriages I had not previously considered. Hoole reports in his book on E.C.J.S. carriages that wealthy families found it convenient to hire a whole sleeping composite. The Master, Mistress and children occupied the First Class sleeping berths whilst the servants occupied the Third Class compartments. This provides the opportunity to have a sleeping composite working on from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth or Aberdeen since the carriage would be on private charter.

1914 E.C.J.S. Down Express Passenger Train Detailed breakdown - Further Information

I have been lucky to receive some detailed information on the Summer 1914 East Coast Joint Company Through Carriage Working Instructions.

¹ indicates dual braked
* indicates non-vestibule carriage

5:05 a.m. London to Edinburgh.
Mon - Fri Nine carriage set on departure London. 220T 8 Cwt.
Sat - Ten carriage set on departure London. 243T 9Cwt

Leeds to York Westinghouse brake
London to Edinburgh (arr 1:32 p.m.)
BG¹ #19 Diag 35

London to York (arr 9:18 a.m.)
GNR BG¹ 22T 7Cwt
GNR C* 28T 18Cwt 10 1st 20 3rd seats
GNR BT* 14T 11Cwt 40 3rd seats 4 compartment 6-wheeler

London to Leeds
GNR BCK 33T 18Cwt 10 1st 20 3rd seats
GNR 6W Mail van 16 T
GNR BG 23t 1Cwt

London to Bradford
GNR BCK 33T 18Cwt 10 1st 20 3rd seats

London to Nottingham
GNR BG 23t 1Cwt Saturdays Only

London to Grimsby
GNR BG 23t 1Cwt

Doncaster to York
GNR BC 15T 14Cwt 12 1st 20 3rd seats 6 wheeler
GNR T 13T 17Cwt 50 3rd seats 6 wheeler Mondays Only and Alternate Thursdays

Peterborough to Doncaster
GNR T 13T 17Cwt 50 3rd seats Mondays Only
GNR T 13T 17Cwt 50 3rd seats Mondays Only

Leeds to Glasgow (arr 3:28 p.m.)
NER BFK¹ Diag 200 27T 5Cwt 12 seats
NER FO Diag 158 28T 10Cwt 36 seats
NER RT Diag 170 41T 10Cwt 30 3rd seats
NER TO Diag 155 28T 13Cwt 42 3rd seats
NER TK Diag 156 29T 10Cwt 42 3rd seats (7 compt x 6 pax when built 1909 - later 56 3rd seats 7 compt x 8 pax)
NER TK Diag 156 29T 10Cwt 42 3rd seats (7 compt x 6 pax when built 1909 - later 56 3rd seats 7 compt x 8 pax) Mon Fri Sat Only
NER BTK¹ Diag 157 27T 14Cwt 18 3rd seats (3 compt x 6 pax when built 1908 - later 24 3rd seats 3 compt x 8 pax)

The only carriage travelling from London to Edinburgh is the ECJS BG. This train is a perfect illustration of how the GNR moved mails and parcels along the Great Northern main Line (East Coast Main Line).
On a Saturday morning no less than five BGs, one being the ECJS one, a 6 wheel mail van, a 6 wheel Compo, a 6 wheel Brake Third, and two BCKs (why would anyone get in the 6-wheelers when they could ride as far as Doncaster in a BCK?).

Peterborough call. Monday Only - Attach carriages for Doncaster. Daily - detach Grimsby BG.
Grantham call. Saturday Only - Detach Nottingham BG
Doncaster call. - Detach carriages for Leeds and Bradford.
York call. - Detach the ECJS BG and attach to the Leeds - Glasgow N.E.R. service.

What a sight on arrival at York. An ECJS BG at the head, a GNR BG, GNR 6w Compo, GNR 6w Brake Third, GNR 6w Brake Compo and (on Mondays and alternate Thursdays) a GNR 6w Third. In 1914 this was, for the passengers, something out of their parents' era. Any hardy traveller from London (as well as Peterborough, Grantham and Retford) would have had to transfer to the GNR 6-wheelers for York at Doncaster. If tpassengers intended to go on to Darlington, Newcastle Edinburgh or Glasgow then they would have to change train at York, from the GNR one to the NER one. On boarding the NER express there was the lure of the breakfast service in the dining carriages.

Last edited:
1914 E.C.J.S. Down Express Passenger Train Detailed breakdown - Further Information 2

More information from the detailed information on the Summer 1914 East Coast Joint Company Through Carriage Working Instructions.
this time it is an N.E.R. express but it explains how the dining carriages which ran with the 7:45 a.m. up service got to Edinburgh Waverley.

¹ indicates dual braked
* indicates non-vestibule carriage

9:57 a.m. York to Edinburgh.
Eight carriage set on departure York. 176T 14Cwt.

E.C.J.S. T.C.W.I. lists "28 wheel pairs" (7 carriages) but even discounting the MTFSO Leeds TK this leaves 9 carriages apparently leaving York.

Leeds (dep 9:40 a.m.) to E'boro (arr 3:31 p.m.)
NER BCK¹ Diag 174 26T 15Cwt 9 1st 18 3rd seats
NER TK Diag 156 29T 10Cwt 42 3rd seats (7 compt x 6 pax when built 1909 - later 56 3rd seats 7 compt x 8 pax) MTFSO.

Newcastle (dep 12:12 p.m.) to E'boro
NER RC Diag 166 30T 15Cwt 10 1st 15 3rd seats ( A Diagram 166 weighed 40T and sat 13 of each class)
NER BCK¹ Diag 174 26T 15Cwt 9 1st 18 3rd seats

York to E'boro
NER BT¹* Diag 18 23T 13Cwt 30 3rd seats
NER C* Diag 5 27T 29 1st 24 3rd seats

Sheffield (dep 8:40 a.m.) to E'boro
NER C* Diag 5 27T 29 1st 24 3rd seats
NER T* Diag 14 25T 5Cwt 80 3rd seats
NER T* Diag 14 25T 5Cwt 80 3rd seats

York to Keswick (arr 2:00 p.m.)
NER BCL¹* Diag 27 26T 10Cwt 9 1st 18 3rd seats

I used the following documents as sources for the following explanation:

Bradshaw’s April 1910
Bradshaw’s July 1922
NERA publication on N.E.R. Timetable October 1912 to March 1913
NERA publication on the LNER NE Area July 1926 Carriage roster
NERA publications on N.E.R. Carriage drawings and E.C.J.S. Carriage Drawings.
Various Isinglass Models Drawings.

The Leeds portion BCK weighing 26 Tons 15 Cwt seating 9 1st and 18 3rd Class passengers is a conundrum. The Diagram 174 BCK built in 1909 & 1912 (more built in 1924 by the LNER) weighed 28 Tons 17 Cwt with dual brakes in the Isinglass drawing but sat 12 1st and 24 3rd Class passengers, though the NERA drawing is annotated as "actually 18 3rd". Nine is an uncommon figure for the 1st Class. Two compartments seating 2 a side would seat 8 while 3 a side would seat 12. The N.E.R. in 1898 built ten Diagram 27 non-corridor 52ft Lavatory Van Composites seating 9 1st and 18 3rd (later changed to 24 3rd), weighing 26T 6Cwt in its single braked version (which may have been 26T 15Cwt in dual braked form) but the T.C.W.I. lacks the * to indicate non-corridor stock.

The Newcastle portion Brake Composite paired with the Dining Composite in the Newcastle to Edinburgh portion is described in the same way as the Leeds to Edinburgh carriage. It appears counter-productive to pair a non-corridor/non-vestibule carriage with a dining carriage but then the 9:57 am train from York was mostly comprised of non-vestibule carriages.

My opinion is that the TCWI is a guide and that the key issues are that the carriage provided was dual braked, was a corridor/vestibule type and that the seating is a recommended minimum. If an NER dual braked Diagram 174 was supplied for each carriage then each provided 12 First and 24 Third Class seats and exceeded the T.C.W.I. minimum requirements.

The Dining Composite (RC) also requires investigation. The N.E.R. Diagram 166 weighed 40 Tons and sat 13 of each class. 30 Tons seating 10 1st and 15 3rd is strange. I can’t find the N.E.R. having a carriage matching those specifications in 1914, even when considering carriages cascaded from the East Coast Joint Company. Six years prior to 1914 the N.E.R. built three Diagram 166 RC carriages, expressly for Newcastle to Liverpool and Newcastle to Edinburgh services so the East Coast T.C.W.I. seems to require a carriage the N.E.R. didn't have. Amendment - the N.E.R. did have a carriage to choose - the Diagram 105 - see later post

The train is an example of portioned working, attaching and removing through carriages en-route. The train has four portions for Edinburgh, from Sheffield, Leeds, York and Newcastle, with a fifth portion travelling to Keswick from York, detaching at Darlington. The portion from Sheffield joined at York with the York to Edinburgh portion. The Leeds to Edinburgh portion travelled via the Leeds Northern. It stopped at Harrogate but not at Ripon or Northallerton. The York portion arrived Newcastle at 11:55 am with the Leeds portion arriving four minutes later at 11:59 am the York portion was six minutes ahead of the Leeds portion on departure Darlington but stopped at Durham, which the following Leeds portion omitted. The York, Leeds and Newcastle portions were combined for Edinburgh and departed at 12:12 pm. A busy thirteen minutes shunting.

The timings were obviously leisurely. The 8:55 am from Leeds, travelling via York, arrived at Edinburgh two hours before this train, which departed only 45 minutes later.

The portion from Sheffield, is largest one in the train. With the N.E.R. having relatively few vestibule/corridor carriages (only around 74 in 1922) it is perhaps unsurprising that the company rostered non-corridor/non-vestibule carriages for the portion, though the journey was similar in length to that between Newcastle and Liverpool, which had benefitted from corridor stock for around six years by 1914.

The T.C.W.I. does not indicate which Sheffield station the portion originated. In 1914 both the Great Central and Midland Railways were different companies and still eight years away from the Big Four merger, which no-one could predict at the time. Examining the timetables and carriage rosters the portion would appear to originate at Sheffield Victoria. However, one has to dig for it since none of the timetables for York to Edinburgh lists a connection time for a train from Sheffield!

Bradshaw’s 1910 & the NER 1912-13 timetables are “winter” timetables, operating for most of the year. Bradshaw’s 1922 & the NE Area 1926 roster are summer documents but 8 to 12 years and WWI later. The N.E.R. 1912-13 has the 9:57 a.m. York to Edinburgh and lists it in the table for Dining trains, so it was a year-round train, but no Sheffield portion is evident then. By 1922 there is no 9:57, but a 10:05 am which arrives Edinburgh 3:48 pm but lacks the “Restaurant Car Express” notation granted to the 9:38 am York to Glasgow. Again, no Sheffield portion for the 10:05 am is evident. The NE Area 1926 Roster has set No. 118, the “Glasgow to Sheffield (Vic) Portion” and is an “XBCCV” (52ft Corridor Brake Composite with dual brake). This however, is rostered to attach to the 9:38 am and appears to travel to York attached to set No. 293.

I feel it worth it to divert a little to look at the 1926 Sheffield to Glasgow through carriage. The 1926 roster has 8:07 a.m. from Sheffield for set No. 293, 8:13 a.m. for set No. 118 and Bradshaw’s 1922 G.C.R. Manchester to Cleethorpes timetable lists a “Through train to York” at 8:15 a.m. (via Rotherham & Masboro arrives 8:25 departs 8:27) which arrives York at 9:21 a.m. The set No. 118 carriage then attaches to set No. 313 the “Leeds and Glasgow (corridor) set departing at 9:38 a.m. The 1926 Set No. 313 arrives back at York 9:44 p.m. with the “XBCCV” departing for Sheffield at 10:03 p.m. attached to set No. 431 for Bristol! Set 431 was made up of G.C.R. and G.W.R. carriages on alternate days. The “XBCCV” arrived Sheffield (Vic) at 11:35 p.m. Bradshaw’s 1922 G.C.R. Cleethorpes to Manchester timetable shows the train spending 15 minutes at Rotherham & Masboro (11:07 to 11:25 p.m.) I think that shunting was going on there. Set 431 departed York with vans from Glasgow to Westbury, Newcastle to Calne and Newcastle to Yeovil attached to its core two-carriage consist.

I believe that the Sheffield portion in 1914 is possibly from Sheffield Victoria and potentially a summer service, hence it not appearing in the winter timetables. I also believe that, in my opinion, that by 1922, post WWI that the Sheffield portion for the 9:57’s successor, the 10:05 a.m. no longer ran. I think that it was superseded by a year-round through carriage attached to the 8:55 a.m. Leeds to Glasgow, which departed York at 9:38 a.m. The existence of the 1926 "XBCCV" confirms that the Corridor Brake Composite type was the "go to" carriage for the minimum provision of through carriage and anyone modelling the post-WWI Leeds to Glasgow train must acknowledge the likely presence of a former corridor N.E.R. BCK in the consist. I say N.E.R. because the ”XBCCV” in set No. 118 is not described as a “foreign” (other company or non-LNER NE Area) carriage.
A final note. The 9:57 a.m. carriages returned to their homes in five different ways. The Leeds portion turned around quickly, heading south with the 5:45 p.m. from Edinburgh. The Newcastle portion returned south attached to the 7:45 a.m. from Edinburgh to London the following day, detached at Newcastle. The York portion returned south attached to the same evening’s 7:45 p.m. Edinburgh to London service but the portion is bound for Normanton. This is significant since the T.C.W.I. shows them attached to the 7:45 p.m. along with the N.E.R. T.P.O. which had travelled north from York attached to the head of the 10 a.m. from Kings Cross!! I am frustrated that Harris did not list this in his book or even mention it. I will edit the previous UP express detailed listings.

The Sheffield portion “returned locally” to Newcastle and was attached to the following day’s 12:20 p.m. Newcastle to Sheffield. The York to Keswick through carriage also “returned locally”. I take “returned locally” to mean attached to the first convenient service heading that way and do not discount that they were run as empty stock.

Last edited:
Back