Kickstarter County 2 route: Oyonix dead end

mdw602

How are locomotives that come into Oyonix station (or its two nearby industries) intended to turn around to get out of town?

Are they intended to drive in reverse all the way back to the branch off of the main line at Junction 303? Or are they intended to drive in reverse from that junction into Oyonix, in order to leave town driving forward?

Both of those seem like a long way to drive in reverse. Plus, either one would hold up the main line for the duration of the turnaround maneuver while the train is reversing on the main line at that junction. But I can't figure out any other turnaround option.

Thanks for any advice to a new player.

Being a fictional shortline route this really depends on the regulations of your railroad. In this case, your personal preference. Some railroads are happy to run long end leading. Others would send a pair of locos to such a destination to avoid that situation.

Being a fictional shortline route this really depends on the regulations of your railroad. In this case, your personal preference. Some railroads are happy to run long end leading. Others would send a pair of locos to such a destination to avoid that situation.

Got it. Thanks for the quick response. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing some game mechanic. l guess I’ll back out :)

I think you'll find a lot of "your preference" with routes and sessions. You could clone the route and add your your own wye. But then the investors wouldn't be happy for spending that money... :)

There's plenty of room and a second track/ junctions in the right places, etc. to get the loco to runaround the train.
Suggest use the 'runaround' command if using AI...
On many real branch lines, there are no Wyes or turntables etc. at the terminus, resulting in branch-line trains needing to reverse out after running around...

Last edited:
There's plenty of room and a second track/ junctions in the right places, etc. to get the loco to runaround the train.
Suggest use the 'runaround' command if using AI...

I understand that there are enough existing track options to reposition the locomotive to the other end of the train. But with what you are envisioning, wouldn’t the locomotive still be facing the wrong way to leave town and return to the main line? That is, the locomotive would still be facing the dead end of the tracks, and would have to reverse back to the main line.

Yes - you're right - the loco would now be tender-first, or long-hood oriented, for the return journey (it's just a small distance to the Wye just past Smallbrook Station/ Junction).
Loco can be turned around there...
Happens a lot on real branch lines and spurs.

Yes - you're right - the loco would now be tender-first, or long-hood oriented, for the return journey (it's just a small distance to the Wye just past Smallbrook Station/ Junction).
Loco can be turned around there...
Happens a lot on real branch lines and spurs.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like reversing orientation at the wye was the intended design for running this route.

or - put a horn on the end of the train and let the conductor ride rear... crazy?

Just watched a video where they mounted a horn on a caboose for grade crossings when running rear end first. The conductor blows the horn. (There are some video's here to get ideas for your Routes/Sessions and some good basic info and explanations given by an engineer who loves his work and also modeling)

Caboose horn about 9 minute mark..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Ldb3M4XhY

Last edited:
or - put a horn on the end of the train and let the conductor ride rear... crazy?

Just watched a video where they mounted a horn on a caboose for grade crossings when running rear end first. The conductor blows the horn. (There are some video's here to get ideas for your Routes/Sessions and some good basic info and explanations given by an engineer who loves his work and also modeling)

Caboose horn about 9 minute mark..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Ldb3M4XhY

Yeah, I remember [from when I was 7...] the Milwaukee did that on the Coeur d'Alene branch out of Spokane. There was a wye at the Diamond Match plant where they'd turn the train and run down the hill into Coeur d'Alene backwards. The caboose had a little tin whistle hooked up to the train air and the brakeman blew it for the crossings. You could [I did] stand right beside it and it wouldn't hurt your ears, so even then I had doubts about its effectiveness, but apparently it met the existing rules.

:B~D

The Valley Railroad (Essex Steam Train, Essex, Connecticut) Is a single-track line with runaround at both ends of the line. The engines (steam and diesel) face the same way all the time.

Great little scenic shortline. I've driven both the steam and diesel engines. They have a "Your hand on the throttle" class where you learn how, then do it. If you're in the area, take the dinner train if you can. Wonderful experience. Essex Railroad

Bill

Back