markers

autodctr

I have run into this before, but with my latest creation it has become something I would really love to have. I tried to put this message in the Suggestion Boxcar, but I couldn't find anywhere to start a new topic, so I will post it here. Maybe there is something already that I could use.

Let me say that I do not use Trainz like most of you probably do. For me, it is about building layouts with 3 or 4 tracks and then running the trains like I used to do in days gone by. My latest layout's main track is over 80 miles long and goes up to 60 meters high. After laying all of the track, I then put a quick loco on the track and run it to see where there are any problems such as track floating above the ground, dips, connections that are a little off, different track types that don't like each other, etc. It is not unusual to find a few to many problems. It does take a long time, even at speed, to run an 80+ miles track. What I would love to have is a marker where I could stop the train, place a marker, and continue on to the end or the next problem. That way, after running the track, I could then go back to each marker and fix the issue. Other wise, I have to stop at every problem, leave driver after trying real hard to remember exactly where the problem is, fix the problem, return to driver and attempt to place the loco near where the problem was in order to continue driving and looking for problems. This isn't real hard when the track is only a few miles long, but 80+ miles makes it tough.

May I suggest mile markers?

They are used by the real railroads anyway, so probably don’t look weird in the landscape and it makes it really easy for you to make notes of where you found things to fix.

To put the markers in at the right place, I first make a mile long consist on a straight piece of track. Then just put the consist in the right place, put marker, rename marker, move consist, repeat.

Thanks for that Oknotsen, I have been trying to measure miles with the yard stick we have in surveyor and am not very accurate with it. Never thought of making a consist and moving it down the tracks.

Various versions can be found on the DLS, many are probably already installed in your game. They are found under track side items and you place them in Surveyor, not while driving.

Another way to measure the distance which I use to place the mileposts, is to run an engine to read each kilometre or mile that it travels. Of-course you still have to note (by the scenery/track) where that is and leave driver to go back into surveyor to place the milepost.

I believe the N3V kids are working on an integrated surveyor / driver environment in which case presumably one could add some sore of visible-from-orbit garnish fluorescent green object where the problem was found (and maybe 'P' the object to add a comment!) so they problems could be found later. Sorry, I don't know of any objects like that but I'd expect there would be something along that line, somewhere in the DLS.

In the meanwhile I'd suggest that you use surveyor mode to skim over the tracks at a height of a few meters to look for problems which can then be fixed on the spot before resuming the skim-aboding.

H. Fithers

I do skim the track like you said, but you always manage to miss something: especially when over 80 miles long.

The new TRS19 beta will allow you to do alterations while you drive the route. This will save a lot of time from exiting and looking for the error.

Appreciate all your nice Creations, you are so talented Javier

Hello my Friend,

Haven't spoke to you in a bit, wanted to wish you a wonderful and blessed Sunday.

As well thank you as Creator all the nice things you make us....It is greatly appreciated as making assets is not within my skill set......

Family is headed to Camping this week, so I will be away for week+ pretty much no internet there.

Hugs to you and family......

Hello my Friend,

Haven't spoke to you in a bit, wanted to wish you a wonderful and blessed Sunday.

As well thank you as Creator all the nice things you make us....It is greatly appreciated as making assets is not within my skill set......

Family is headed to Camping this week, so I will be away for week+ pretty much no internet there.

Hugs to you and family......

Blue, dear friend,
Thank you very much for your good wishes and I hope you have a pleasant days in the company of your family wherever the camping is.:D
Then I'll write something on your thread, I forgot ...:eek:

Enjoy technological isolation, only nature.

Hugs to you and yours.

Javier

Back