NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Christopher824

CDETrainz.com
Just got an email from NVIDIA stating they just released the GeForce RTX 2080 Super

RT Cores, Tensor Cores, Next-Gen Shading, Concurrent Processing, Turing GPU Architecture, 63T RTX-OPS, 1815 MHZ Boost Clock, 8 GB GDDR6 Frame Buffer, 15.5 Gbps Memory Speed, DirectX 12/DXR, Bridgeable to 4 slots, $699 US

Might be a good time to build a new box.

But on the other hand just how much GPU do you need?

Realistically 14,000 G3D passmark benchmark is probably enough unless you want to run assets with no LOD. Even 12,000 is quite respectable and a lot cheaper.

Cheerio John

But on the other hand just how much GPU do you need?

Realistically 14,000 G3D passmark benchmark is probably enough unless you want to run assets with no LOD. Even 12,000 is quite respectable and a lot cheaper.

Cheerio John

Great question. I am not knowledgeable enough about these GPU's to answer that. I just know that this is a less expensive alternative to the similar $1000 plus RTX 2080 Ti card, and a better card then the $300 variety. Maybe someone could expand this topic as to what is the best value for Trainz and still have a high end card. I'm still shopping. :D

Comparison https://www.pcmag.com/compare/369697/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-vs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti

Last edited:
Personally, the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 is still able to run 2019 maxed out, albit a few lag spots. I've had no real issues just yet with my card. TANE runs maxed out with no lag whatsoever.

I'm running TRS19 with a 2070 Super, and unless I'm on Trainz Plus I can't get the game to run past 60 fps. Even with a 2070 super the card struggles to run Ultra shadows on complex scenes, likes to dip around 40-50 fps. That is also with medium to low scenery and tree settings. Not sure if it's possible to run TRS19 with completely maxed out settings.

Personally, the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 is still able to run 2019 maxed out, albit a few lag spots. I've had no real issues just yet with my card. TANE runs maxed out with no lag whatsoever.

While that is true, might as well just buy a RTX card now. The performance is going to be similar and finding those cards, especially the founder editions are similar prices to RTX cards. https://youtu.be/vnlALzlrtxo?t=819

Last edited:
All depends on what routes you are running, large routes with lots of inefficient buildings, splines, rolling stock and locos all with no lod or badly implemented, will bring any highend GPU to it's knees on maximum settings.

GDennish - Just wondering if you are running with V-Sync = Full and expecting the system to deliver >60 FPS? If set to V-Sync = OFF you should see triple-figure frames per second on simple maps and in Surveyor mode on that card @ 1920 by 1080 and also at 1440p.
Yes, Ultra shadows on complex scenes will drop the frame-rates a good deal of course, but even at fully maxed performance and visual quality settings, your RTX Super card should be capable of smooth & steady scene rendering out to draw distances of 10,000m+.
As it happens, sub 60 FPS in Trainz is not really a problem until it drops below 24 FPS, as long as it remains relatively steady. Indeed, this is what most users with lesser GPU horsepower than your new card delivers experience in any event if they have all the wicks turned up.

All depends on what routes you are running, large routes with lots of inefficient buildings, splines, rolling stock and locos all with no lod or badly implemented, will bring any highend GPU to it's knees on maximum settings.

I used BC Rocky Mountains and ECML for most of my testing. ECML worked surprisingly well considering it struggled on my 970M before, but BC Rocky Mountains clearly takes the hit with the trees. It's quite manageable when the tree and scenery is set to Normal.

GDennish - Just wondering if you are running with V-Sync = Full and expecting the system to deliver >60 FPS? If set to V-Sync = OFF you should see triple-figure frames per second on simple maps and in Surveyor mode on that card @ 1920 by 1080 and also at 1440p.
Yes, Ultra shadows on complex scenes will drop the frame-rates a good deal of course, but even at fully maxed performance and visual quality settings, your RTX Super card should be capable of smooth & steady scene rendering out to draw distances of 10,000m+.
As it happens, sub 60 FPS in Trainz is not really a problem until it drops below 24 FPS, as long as it remains relatively steady. Indeed, this is what most users with lesser GPU horsepower than your new card delivers experience in any event if they have all the wicks turned up.

Yes that's where I was a bit confused, this card should clearly be able to push the limits. I had it set to None from what I remember. I'll check later tonight to confirm. I only run at 1080p, with three monitors and Trainz is only on one of them.

Edit: I am running with V-Sync at none.

Last edited:
Back