Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A request to content creators .

Exclamation A request to content creators .

Hunting for the unknown assets on the web isn't fun .

Would you please be kind and list the location of the 3rd party content ( in the description of the asset details ) that you were using ? It would be easier to find them .

Thank you .

So by “content creators” you actually mean “route or session creators”.
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 SP1 build 105096
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

United States of America, Arkansas, Jonesboro

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    So by “content creators” you actually mean “route or session creators”.

I assume that's what he's asking, Deane... but you never know around here!

There are assets as well that have unknown dependencies not on the DLS, such as bogies and such, could mean route or content or both, however as this has been requested many many times and mainly falls on deaf ears, I wouldn't expect anything to change.
    Malc

Quote Originally Posted by lackoo11111 View Post
    Hunting for the unknown assets on the web isn't fun .

Would you please be kind and list the location of the 3rd party content ( in the description of the asset details ) that you were using ? It would be easier to find them .

Thank you .
    When you build a route or session you use what is installed on your machine. There isn't really an indication of whether it is available on the DLS or not. Some content creators keep a special "clean" version of Trainz on their machine with no third party content butit is something else for them to do and a pain to keep it clean.

Cheerio John

As a tip for how to list these items easily, follow these instructions:

1. Select the route you're uploading in CM > R-click "List dependencies recursively"
    2. Sort by Status then select the Modified items
    3. R-click List assets in new window
    4. Add a filter "On Download Station = false"

This will list everything that other users will have trouble finding.

You then have the option of replacing those assets (e.g. using bulk replace tools), or listing websites where you got them from in the description of your route.

We're working on systems to improve this process at both ends - for route builders to more easily identify which assets are easily found, and some changes to the DLS that should encourage more content to be uploaded (details to come "soon".)
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

United States of America, Wisconsin, Wisc Rapids
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
    When you build a route or session you use what is installed on your machine. There isn't really an indication of whether it is available on the DLS or not. Some content creators keep a special "clean" version of Trainz on their machine with no third party content butit is something else for them to do and a pain to keep it clean.

Cheerio John
    For most yes, but for me, its actually easy as cake to keep a separate version of Trainz clean of 3rd party content

NARM's site^

My personal site: https://hiawathamr.weebly.com/​

Blog Entries

I cannot see an easy universal solution to this problem, one that has always been with us. When route and session creators (of which I am one) are putting together a route and/or a session, we simply add assets that are already installed on our system with no real knowledge at that moment of whether they are built-in, payware, from the DLS or from 3rd party sites.

Before I upload anything to the DLS I run the route/session through CM to detect any anomalies, such as payware or assets that I have created myself but have forgotten to upload to the DLS (it has happened) and take any necessary actions. But obviously not all creators do this and the odd asset can be easily overlooked (which has also happened to me).

As for 3rd party assets, I do not have any on my system. If it did not come installed with Trainz of from the DLS then I do not use it. Like the OP, I have also been through the frustrations of hunting down foreign assets only to have to give up. If I download a route or session from the DLS that contains "unknown assets" then I simply delete it. On a few rare occasions where I have considered that the route/session was really worthwhile have I contacted the creator to point out the problem. If they can recommended a DLS alternative or uploaded the missing asset(s) to the DLS then the issue is resolved. Where no reply is received or no solution is provided, I execute Plan A (delete).

My main gripes with 3rd party assets are lack of quality control (something that has improved considerably with the DLS) and the often temporary nature of 3rd party web sites. During the last few years a number of 3rd party Trainz sites have gone to the wrecking yard, many of them taking their assets with them. Only one that I know of has graciously uploaded everything to the DLS beforehand.

My opinions.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 (RC beta) 105476

Trainz KUID Index. Has the location of many KUIDs.

Blog Entries

True, Trainz KUID Index has the location of many missing KUIDs and there are threads in these forums where you can also find some or you can post a request if you have drawn a blank. Trainz KUID Index recently became a subscription service (I am not complaining about that as hosting costs money) so it may not be value for money if you are just after a single missing item.

The crux of the problem, as indicated in the post at the start of this thread, is that some content creators are leaving all that leg work to those who have downloaded their route and or session. If the content creator has already done the work to find suitable 3rd party assets then why not pass on that information to their "clients"? Why force them to jump the same hurdles?

Then there is the issue of DLS routes and Session containing payware assets

If content creators simply ran a check of their routes and sessions, as indicated in post #6 above, before uploading them then most of these issues could be resolved - but I doubt it will happen.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 (RC beta) 105476

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post

If content creators simply ran a check of their routes and sessions, as indicated in post #6 above, before uploading them then most of these issues could be resolved - but I doubt it will happen.
    I suspect that many less experienced route and session creators are completely unaware of these issues. The only way to alert those creators is a check at the point of uploading. And I don't mean a question like "Have you checked that all dependencies are available in Trainz XYZ or on the DLS?" because that will be ignored.

Paul

It's not just 3rd party assets that can cause problems, it is also Trainz versions.
    I recently downloaded a model route into TANE SP4 Beta only to find that some assets were for the Modelz version of TANE, TMR2017.
    I don't have that version installed so those assets were flagged in CM as unknown, but I could see the version number was for TMR2017.
    There were 3rd party assets also, but the creator had published links to those.
    Graham,

A member of TCWW

And to add to what euromodeller just said, I have routes that are missing Auran assets as well, because they were built-ins to earlier versions that did not carry forward into newer versions like T:ANE, and there does not appear to be any way to get them either. If I am fortunate that someone at least posts what they are, I can look for substitutes, but you can't always just stick a substitute in a config.txt file, especially on a route.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” ― R.L.S.

Quote Originally Posted by hholdenaz View Post
    Used to subscribe but only used it a couple of times looking for kuids for someone else. Don't need it myself as don't use non DLS assets so didn't bother renewing.
    Malc

Quote Originally Posted by hholdenaz View Post
    No offense but i don't want to pay a subscription fee just to use a search engine .