A request to content creators .

Hunting for the unknown assets on the web isn't fun . :(

Would you please be kind and list the location of the 3rd party content ( in the description of the asset details ) that you were using ? It would be easier to find them .

Thank you .

There are assets as well that have unknown dependencies not on the DLS, such as bogies and such, could mean route or content or both, however as this has been requested many many times and mainly falls on deaf ears, I wouldn't expect anything to change.

Hunting for the unknown assets on the web isn't fun . :(

Would you please be kind and list the location of the 3rd party content ( in the description of the asset details ) that you were using ? It would be easier to find them .

Thank you .

When you build a route or session you use what is installed on your machine. There isn't really an indication of whether it is available on the DLS or not. Some content creators keep a special "clean" version of Trainz on their machine with no third party content butit is something else for them to do and a pain to keep it clean.

Cheerio John

As a tip for how to list these items easily, follow these instructions:

1. Select the route you're uploading in CM > R-click "List dependencies recursively"
2. Sort by Status then select the Modified items
3. R-click List assets in new window
4. Add a filter "On Download Station = false"

This will list everything that other users will have trouble finding.

You then have the option of replacing those assets (e.g. using bulk replace tools), or listing websites where you got them from in the description of your route.

We're working on systems to improve this process at both ends - for route builders to more easily identify which assets are easily found, and some changes to the DLS that should encourage more content to be uploaded (details to come "soon".)

When you build a route or session you use what is installed on your machine. There isn't really an indication of whether it is available on the DLS or not. Some content creators keep a special "clean" version of Trainz on their machine with no third party content butit is something else for them to do and a pain to keep it clean.

Cheerio John
For most yes, but for me, its actually easy as cake to keep a separate version of Trainz clean of 3rd party content:cool:

I cannot see an easy universal solution to this problem, one that has always been with us. When route and session creators (of which I am one) are putting together a route and/or a session, we simply add assets that are already installed on our system with no real knowledge at that moment of whether they are built-in, payware, from the DLS or from 3rd party sites.

Before I upload anything to the DLS I run the route/session through CM to detect any anomalies, such as payware or assets that I have created myself but have forgotten to upload to the DLS (it has happened) and take any necessary actions. But obviously not all creators do this and the odd asset can be easily overlooked (which has also happened to me).

As for 3rd party assets, I do not have any on my system. If it did not come installed with Trainz of from the DLS then I do not use it. Like the OP, I have also been through the frustrations of hunting down foreign assets only to have to give up. If I download a route or session from the DLS that contains "unknown assets" then I simply delete it. On a few rare occasions where I have considered that the route/session was really worthwhile have I contacted the creator to point out the problem. If they can recommended a DLS alternative or uploaded the missing asset(s) to the DLS then the issue is resolved. Where no reply is received or no solution is provided, I execute Plan A (delete).

My main gripes with 3rd party assets are lack of quality control (something that has improved considerably with the DLS) and the often temporary nature of 3rd party web sites. During the last few years a number of 3rd party Trainz sites have gone to the wrecking yard, many of them taking their assets with them. Only one that I know of has graciously uploaded everything to the DLS beforehand.

My opinions.

True, Trainz KUID Index has the location of many missing KUIDs and there are threads in these forums where you can also find some or you can post a request if you have drawn a blank. Trainz KUID Index recently became a subscription service (I am not complaining about that as hosting costs money) so it may not be value for money if you are just after a single missing item.

The crux of the problem, as indicated in the post at the start of this thread, is that some content creators are leaving all that leg work to those who have downloaded their route and or session. If the content creator has already done the work to find suitable 3rd party assets then why not pass on that information to their "clients"? Why force them to jump the same hurdles?

Then there is the issue of DLS routes and Session containing payware assets :n:

If content creators simply ran a check of their routes and sessions, as indicated in post #6 above, before uploading them then most of these issues could be resolved - but I doubt it will happen.

If content creators simply ran a check of their routes and sessions, as indicated in post #6 above, before uploading them then most of these issues could be resolved - but I doubt it will happen.

I suspect that many less experienced route and session creators are completely unaware of these issues. The only way to alert those creators is a check at the point of uploading. And I don't mean a question like "Have you checked that all dependencies are available in Trainz XYZ or on the DLS?" because that will be ignored.

It's not just 3rd party assets that can cause problems, it is also Trainz versions.
I recently downloaded a model route into TANE SP4 Beta only to find that some assets were for the Modelz version of TANE, TMR2017.
I don't have that version installed so those assets were flagged in CM as unknown, but I could see the version number was for TMR2017.
There were 3rd party assets also, but the creator had published links to those.

And to add to what euromodeller just said, I have routes that are missing Auran assets as well, because they were built-ins to earlier versions that did not carry forward into newer versions like T:ANE, and there does not appear to be any way to get them either. If I am fortunate that someone at least posts what they are, I can look for substitutes, but you can't always just stick a substitute in a config.txt file, especially on a route.

Good Morning.

I don't like to get into controversies but there are issues that bother me and the complaints of the dependencies is one of them.

I have two real routes published, made without HOG or Transdem, by hand. Nothing that others have not done before, but do any of those who complain know the work that takes that ?.
In one I took 5 years and in the other more than 3, traveling on vacations and weekends, photos, walks on the tracks, my family helping me measure buildings in ruins, etc, etc. And all this why? Well, because I like it, because it's my hobby.
And if I decide to share it for free? ..... do I have to ask someone for permission? ...... do I have to consider the dls as the holy bible and also create everything, absolutely everything for someone to download it in 0.000001 seconds ?.

That is the other problem, I support my routes but I do not tolerate someone asking me for e-mail all the dependencies in a messy list including those of the dls or those that I have on my website, at least that ... ...... And they get angry!

I finish, as we say in Spain "whoever wants fish, to wet his ass". Of course, maybe if someone hired me for a few years with a good salary, I would think about it ...........
And after they complain.
I apologize if someone feels offended but it is my opinion, "my right to kick."

Greetings to all

Javier

Last edited:
No offense but i don't want to pay a subscription fee just to use a search engine .

I suppose it comes down to how much you're going to use TKI. I use it all the time but I have lots of content, so for the sake of £12 per year it's one of the most useful tools you can have along with the PevSoft suite and by the looks of it TransDem which I plan on investing in next month. If you need assets desperately, maybe ask a friend who has TKI if they'd be willing to asset hunt for you.

And if I decide to share it for free? ..... do I have to ask someone for permission? ...... do I have to consider the dls as the holy bible and also create everything, absolutely everything for someone to download it in 0.000001 seconds ?.

You never have to ask others for permission to share your own work. Whether you post your work on the DLS or on a 3rd party web site is for you alone to decide.

I support my routes but I do not tolerate someone asking me for e-mail all the dependencies in a messy list including those of the dls or those that I have on my website, ...... And they get angry!

No one has to tolerate that nor should they accept abuse from those of whom expect to be given everything but offer nothing in return. I also support my routes and session, all of which are on the DLS (I am not interested in running my own 3rd party Trainz web site). I sometimes get requests for particular projects and if I have the time and interest I will supply, but in my own time. If I don't have the time and interest then I politely decline. As you stated, some routes and sessions can take years to create, a fact that a few do not appreciate. Trainz is a hobby, but for some it can be an obsession.

I apologize if someone feels offended but it is my opinion, "my right to kick."

No apology needed.

Good Morning.

That is the other problem, I support my routes but I do not tolerate someone asking me for e-mail all the dependencies in a messy list including those of the dls or those that I have on my website, at least that ... ...... And they get angry!

Javier

I guess it depends to some extent on your motives for uploading the route. If it took you 5 years to develop it, do you want folks using and enjoying it? If so, then some time spent on your part to assist with unknown assets seems worthwhile to me. There is no absolute right or wrong here, just a measure of how much the creator wants to help. ( Verbal abuse is a separate issue).

Last edited:
You never have to ask others for permission to share your own work. Whether you post your work on the DLS or on a 3rd party web site is for you alone to decide.

No one has to tolerate that nor should they accept abuse from those of whom expect to be given everything but offer nothing in return. I also support my routes and session, all of which are on the DLS (I am not interested in running my own 3rd party Trainz web site). I sometimes get requests for particular projects and if I have the time and interest I will supply, but in my own time. If I don't have the time and interest then I politely decline. As you stated, some routes and sessions can take years to create, a fact that a few do not appreciate. Trainz is a hobby, but for some it can be an obsession.

No apology needed.

Thanks for your comments Pware.
Every opinion is important.:)

Greetings

Javier

Back