TRS19 and GTX1080Ti CTD

Still in the early stages of investigating this issue, but I recently upgraded to a GTX1080Ti from a 1080. Since the upgrade, I have been getting fairly consistent CTD in Driver mode using the same settings I used for the 1080. I am curious as to what other users here with the same GPU are using for settings. My CPU is an i9 9900K. Both components are running at the high end of their temperature ranges in TRS19, but not to the point where I would expect a shutdown. Most of my other games (flight sims, etc.) don’t drive near that high, but again the temperatures are not maxing out.

I did notice other threads here with TRS19 CTD , but I am not sure they are my issue. If someone would be so kind as to pass me their settings if they are using the same GPU, I would appreciate it.

I am going to continue to troubleshoot the issue tonight. I would like to dig as far as I can before submitting a ticket.

I've been using a GTX1080ti with an I9 9900K running TRS2019 build 101618 and have never had a CTD.
Settings are 2560x1440 @ 144Hz, with ALL performance settings at max, including video settings in-game.
At vertical sync = half, GPU and CPU barely break a sweat in Task Manager performance tab.
At vertical sync = full or none, on heavy routes the GPU will occasionally swing to 100% but never raise temp concerns.

So, what's going wrong?
First thing I'd check: Nvidia drivers are current and correct for your new GPU.
Hope others will wade in to help. (PC_Ace, where are you?)
Regards, Ken

Gigabyte Aurus GTX1080TI, i7-6700K and Asus Z170P motherboard, no issues with crashes or heating with everything on max apart from draw distance as don't need to see 15000m, just tested, resolution 1920x1080, vertical sync none, maximum performance in Nvidia Control Panel. Do not have Nvidia Experience installed as it causes problems here or has done in the past. Using driver 431.60 standard, updated yesterday no noticeable problems. CPU and GPU are relatively cool considering we are getting close to record temperatures in the UK today. The Cooler Master Hyper212EVO and 5 nice and quiet Case Fans in a Cooler Master 690 III case is probably helping.

Might want to use DDU and completely remove the Nvidia drivers then install the latest ones, quite likely MS has installed an old driver when you changed cards if you haven't blocked driver updates.

My settings are
Shadow quality: High
Main shadow resolution: 4096
Shader quality: Ultra
Texture detail: High
Post processing: High
Water quality: High
Detail scenery: Clutter + TurfFX
Antialiasing: 4x
Detail update rate: High
Use PhsX simulation and Process objects behind camera both checked.

I've been using EVGA Precision X1 to monitor temps and frame rate. Not sure of your 1080 ti and don't know if it will work with your card. Don't get many CTD's but I'm using the beta TRS2019 so that info isn't very useful. (❁´◡`❁)

I also have an EVGA GTX1080Ti and haven't had any CTDs related to the graphics card.

If you've upgraded from one card to another, I highly recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the driver again. There are some differences between the two cards which may have caused this problem. If you continue to have crashes, I would look elsewhere at such things as the temperatures of both your new video card and your computer its self. Heat can and will cause CTDs when components are working hard not only due to high ambient temperatures but also due to the components themselves working harder.

Unlike the other programs, TRS19 puts a lot of work on the video card and this extra load can cause an increase in power draw as well as build up more heat. With that being said, your power supply too can also cause this due to increased loads caused by the video card and the extra work being done. Ensure your power supply is adequate for the Ti version of the GTX1080. Remember your hard drives, memory, and other components too draw power as well as the video card and if there are drops in power, things can go a bit wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses! (Man, that was quick!). Still at work, but itching to get home to check the things you recommended. It is almost comforting to know that it is my issue, but then again uh-oh, it’s my issue!

There is a bug in the normal stream for TRS19 that can cause it to limit the FPS to below 60, but in Trainz Plus this does not happen. Do you have Trainz Plus? Could just be a bug in the main stream. I was not hitting 60 fps with my RTX 2070 Super and knew something was wrong, but after switching to Trainz Plus I had no issues.

I have two high-end rigs running TRS19 and both deliver CTDs at the moment due to the recent purchase and inclusion on my favourite DIY route/ sessions of the CONTZ Standard Container pack. (<kuid:447264:10> CONTZ Pack - Standard Edition)
One has an EVGA GTX 1080Ti GPU and the other an Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070. Both are supported by high performance i7 CPUs and lots of RAM, PCIe NVMe SSDs, etc.
Until I installed that asset, I experienced very smooth and dependable operations on the latest builds of TRS19 (non-subscriber edition) and T:ANE.
Due to real-world demands & pressures for my time lately, I haven't had a chance to redesign the route and sessions containing the asset to remove the trigger for these CTDs.
Suggest you do all that is suggested above and in particular, see what you can do to ensure better airflow in your PC case to reduce ambient, CPU and GPU temps.
Change your fan curve profile so that you get better cooling during gaming loads.
My case temps are really low due to twin 200mm front fans, a 140mm rear one and huge twin fan CPU coolers, etc. The cards themselves both have excellent triple-fan cooling solutions, though both dump their waste heat into the case, hence the need for good airflow and extraction. Under TRS19 gaming conditions, my CPU temps are around 50 degrees max and GPU temps rarely exceed 65C on either card.
I run both with V-Sync = None and all other performance settings maxed out with the exception of Post Processing, which is set to my manual preferences.
Congratulations on your recent (excellent) upgrades. Keep us informed on your progress towards eliminating those annoying CTDs and steps taken to resume normal, smooth running service in Trainz! :)

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I used DDU to clear out all the old GPU driver garbage and installed the latest driver. Still tweaking settings, but this seems to have done the trick. I ran a 3 hour session with no issues, with the exception at the end when I inadvertently let my PC go into standby. When it came back up, down goes TRS19. I can live with that.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. This is such a great community and I am glad to be a part of it!

UPDATE:
I used DDU to clear out all the old GPU driver garbage and installed the latest driver. Still tweaking settings, but this seems to have done the trick. I ran a 3 hour session with no issues, with the exception at the end when I inadvertently let my PC go into standby. When it came back up, down goes TRS19. I can live with that.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. This is such a great community and I am glad to be a part of it!

I'm glad the driver installation helped. That was an easy one for a change! :D

I've had that crash occur as well with other programs, thanks to the power saving. If you want to do anything, enable your settings to turn off the display, but adjust the power settings so that the PC remains running anyway. Trainz and other programs will run fine and your display won't burn in.

I'm glad the driver installation helped. That was an easy one for a change! :D

I've had that crash occur as well with other programs, thanks to the power saving. If you want to do anything, enable your settings to turn off the display, but adjust the power settings so that the PC remains running anyway. Trainz and other programs will run fine and your display won't burn in.

Yes same here, I disable all power saving, sleep and hibernation and just enable turn off display after a specific time.

Ryzen 3800X
Not Bragging but,
Yea the the 1080 Ti FTW3 really runs this Version of Trainz 2019 Beautifully. I am getting a Rock Solid 60fps on my Custom Map with a lot of High Quality Content in it.
When I View a High PBR Textured area the Wattage draw on my Zalman ZM-MFC II Fan Controller Display goes from 160 Watts to around 380 Watts, and the FTW 3 Fans start getting up to full Speed and still Frame rates are at a Solid 60 with V-Sync Locke at 60fps.

I never have had a PC that is good as the one that I just built, until now.
jjeff1955

Back