is it possible apply google earth images to DEM'ed baseboards

If you mean so that the Google Earth images will take the shape of the terrain, then probably not (at least as far as I know). I did, in the long distant past, use a system of creating a series of flat assets each about 1km x 1km containing a Google Maps image (but it would also work for Google Earth) but they were flat and could not be contoured. They were useful only for working out where to place the roads, tracks, rivers, etc.

Why would you not want to use Transdem? It is one of the greatest train sim utilities ever created (along with the stuff Mike Simpson did for MSTS and the DTG TS).

That would sure be handy though. I have some UTM tiles someone posted for an area I would very much like to do, but I will have to put everything in myself with no guides but the terrain itself. But then I guess that is what route creation is all about!

They are on the DLS. Look for assets named "1km basemap" by user halfdan. There are quite a few named "A" to "Z" then "1" to "9".

That would sure be handy though. I have some UTM tiles someone posted for an area I would very much like to do, but I will have to put everything in myself with no guides but the terrain itself. But then I guess that is what route creation is all about!

TransDEM will automatically place UTM tiles as well as adjust the terrain too underneath so it's the best of both worlds. You have the images with the hills, trees, and other objects showing. It's then up to you to place the actual objects on top of the images. Once the route is completed, the tiles can be deleted in one full swoop because they're located on a single layer on the routes.

Here is a link to a post I made on adding high quality ortho images (aerial photographs) on to a route that I developed in TransDem. If ortho images are available for the area that you are interested in, then this would be much easier than grabbing images from Google Earth. Check it out here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...new-route-possibilities&p=1273433#post1273433

I would definitely recommend getting TransDem, it saves so much guess work!

Cheers,

Derek

Back