Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sydney Cityrail 2020 Project (In Development)

Doing a test today to try and switch from using 30m digital elevation data to 5m digital elevation data.
    In the process of downloading 967 MB of elevation data.

Going from 30m DEM to 5M DEM would make a significant difference to how the route would look which is why I am exploring the possibility of using 5m DEM instead.
    Last edited by rjord1; August 15th, 2019 at 11:02 AM.

This afternoon I will do a test of adding 5m DEM (as shown below) to the layout. I had tried using 1m DEM but was having too many issues with that.

Last edited by rjord1; August 16th, 2019 at 10:14 PM.

I have now finished creating the 5 Metre digital elevation data for the entire Sydney Rail Network and applied it to the route.
    I did have some issues where TransDEM was complaining about the size of the DEM files but I have managed to work my way around it.

With the picture this is located in an area between Emu Pains and Lapstone where the railway line crosses over both a creek as well as the M4...... this is next to Napsack Reserve. Shortly after this the rail tracks pass near the Nepean River.

I have had a brief look at the result and have to say it looks a lot better than the 30 metre DEM I had being using before.

In the picture below you see the rail line doing a bit of a rollercoaster down into the valley and back up the other side.
    This of course is where a rail bridge is added to get the tracks across to the other side.

Now I am happy with the terrain added to the project I can continue work on the route design.

With the 5 metre DEM I have had to scale back the route so it covers only the areas of Waterfall, Emu Plains and Berowra.

In the last week I have being watching train cab videos and planning how I will be working on this route.

Last edited by rjord1; August 17th, 2019 at 12:57 AM.

Before going further I wanted to check the accuracy of the terrain created by Open Street..... so I went to this area of Sydney that I pass each day.

The train tracks pass by Artarmon Reserve which you can see on the left side of the picture..... however the map painted on the terrain showed a big lake in the middle of Artarmon Reserve...... That was wrong..... no water there at all.

However..... on checking Open Street I find that for several years Artarmon Reserve has a water harvesting system in place which harvests 100,000 liters per day..... I never even knew that .

So when this route is being built I will be referring to Google Earth and Open Street to make sure features such as surface water are actually there and are not part of an underground water harvesting system.

I was happy with the terrain built for the route. At the top of the picture the rail tracks have a dip..... this is where a bridge will be placed over the Gore Hill Freeway.

[IMG][/IMG]

A test with tweaking the environment settings to get a not so bright landscape.......... I am really happy with the water though some more texture is required in places where you can see the line appearing beneath the water.

I am hoping this week to upgrade my machine with more memory.

Not happy with the rail tracks... looks great in TANE but terrible in Trainz 19..... not sure why that is.

Last edited by rjord1; August 17th, 2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: ui

After tweaking the environment settings the same track as in the previous picture looks a whole lot better

One thing I enjoy doing is driving freight so this route will have the option to drive freight rather than passenger services.

Using 200 pages of rail freight timetable for the Sydney area , dated 9th August 2019, I can build the Sydney Metropolitan Freight Network with the correct movement of freight from one area to the next.

The areas specified as being the dedicated freight lines within the rail corridors of:

Sefton Park to Chullora

Flemington South to Belmore

Belmore to Marrickville

Marrickville to Port Botany

Dulwich Hill to Rozelle

Port Botany to Enfield

Sefton to Macarthur