Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney Cityrail 2020 Project (In Development)

Now at 2:52 AM Friday morning and am at a step where I can get some sleep.
    Have downloaded the elevation data and applied to Transdem so the T9 Northern Line now has the correct elevation data applied.

Progress:
    After adding the elevation data as shown below I am now 35% of the way to having the elevation data and rail and road splines added to the project.

Last edited by rjord1; July 25th, 2019 at 12:07 PM.

At this stage I could import this into Trainz....... but the next step will be to get Open Street to add in the road and rail splines which will give me a starting point for the next step of the project.
    Last edited by rjord1; July 25th, 2019 at 12:22 PM.

Progress:
    At 4:11 am and I just reached 43% of the way to having the elevation data and rail and road splines added to the project.

As you can see from the picture below the Chatswood Interchange and railway station has suddenly got very detailed.
    This is after getting Open Street to give me comprehensive data on everything there is within 500 metres of any part of the T9 Northern Line railway.

Looking at the lines used for the trains as well as the Metro I create a filter looking specifically at the railway lines and when I invert the filter it shows me just the railway line and Metro and allows me to check there are no gaps.

In the picture below the brown line is the current Metro Line heading to the Hills District and the Red Line is the Metro line being constructed over the next year or so.

At this stage I turn off the rail line I created earlier on and seen as a blue line in post 31 as this was not accurate and was just a rough guide. Now I have Open Street giving me a highly detailed track layout for the entire T9 Northern Line.

At this stage I make sure that the entire T9 line is surrounded in black. If any of the yellow lines intersect where the rail line should be then I have lost detailed track info for that area. Luckily all of my T9 rail line is shown .

At this point I note that Open Street has 354,990 objects of interest that were gathered together along the T9 line .

Now that I have the rail tracks ready to import into Trainz the next step is to grab the roads.

Oh.... by the way this is the point I backup so I don't have to download the Open Street data again.

Progress:
    54% of the way to having the elevation data and rail and road splines added to the project.

Last edited by rjord1; July 25th, 2019 at 01:54 PM.

Roads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 years ago I had started adding the roads along the rail track one road piece at a time. I learned then this was going to be a nightmare.
    Today at 5:36 am....... roads generated by Open Street now ready to be imported into Trainz....... and these available in Open Street in the blink of an eye..

Wow!!!

The picture below shows Highway Residential road.

To pick up more roads I will also add in layers for :
    - Highway Primary
    - Highway Secondary
    to pick up more.

Progress:
    68% of the way to having the elevation data and rail and road splines added to the project.

Last edited by rjord1; July 25th, 2019 at 02:55 PM.

A quick picture showing additional roads added...... if too much for Trainz to handle I will remove

Progress:
    At 5:58 am and I just reached 72% of the way to having the elevation data and rail and road splines added to the project.

Ok...... finally got to 6:19 AM Friday morning and the below picture shows the status of the roads to be imported into Trainz.
    No errors.

So at this time the next stage is to create a new route in Trainz with elevation data and correctly placed roads and rail track.
    That will be done tonight when I return from work.

Total time on getting elevation data, road and rail to a stage where it can be imported into Trainz = 4 hours 26 minutes

Progress:
    At 6:22 AM and I just reached 77% of the way to having the elevation data and rail and road splines added to the project.

Last edited by rjord1; July 25th, 2019 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjord1 View Post
    I just wanted to mention that at this stage I am building my route in TANE with the option of crossing over to the Trainz 2019 down the track.
    My current PC is barely able to use TANE at the moment and I am looking at upgrading my hardware in next 6 months.
    What I am using at the moment is sufficient to add in the road and rail network for the project.

Roy...... I have had a look at your route that you sent me and it is impressive.
    My laptop was struggling with it though as I only have 4 Gig of memory and will look at it again when I get my new machine.

Hi Roy, You are doing some fine work on the T9 section of your route (eh, do you ever get time for a sleep?) Keep it up mate.

Regarding my route,... It's understandable that an average laptop or CPU would find it difficult to load. The basic route itself is nearly 15MB and each of the sessions are 900KB. However when the assets of the Sydney Harbour Bridge begin to load, it can slow a driver consist to a jerky ride; unless you have a good video graphics card installed.

For your information if updating. When I first installed Trainz TS2010, I only had a 4GB video card which was okay for many other games, but slowed down on Trainz routes. It was then I did a rebuild of my desktop and installed an 8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070. I also found Windows 7 worked far better than Windows 10, so I maintained the older version. Smooth railroading since then.

Cheers mate,
    Roy

With this mornings test finished I am making some additional changes and modifying the route which will include the following:

- The T9 Northern Line going from Gordon to Hornsby via Strathfield.

- Addition of the T1 line from Berowra on the western branch to Emu Plains.

- Addition of the T1 line from Berowra on the northwestern branch to Richmond.

This will include the:

- Hornsby Maintenance Center
    - Flemington Maintenance Center

and the Eveleigh Maintenance Center

Have extended the rail network to Emu Plains, Richmond and Berowra and checked the new areas are still covered by the elevation data I have created.
    Now extracting the Open Street data for each of these new areas.

Last edited by rjord1; July 26th, 2019 at 12:22 PM.

5:57AM Saturday Morning.

Now that I have elevation data, rail track and roads all configured in TransDEM for the new areas I have finally started creating the route in Trainz.

I have noticed with TransDEM there is an option to export into Trainz....... this may save me time creating the Sydney Harbor and rivers in the area.
    Will look at that next.....

The elevation data and rail tracks have been added to the route.
    Before I add in the roads I am backing up the route just in case there is an issue exporting so many roads.

I am first going to add residential roads into Trainz as there are way more residential roads than highways and freeways.
    Last edited by rjord1; July 26th, 2019 at 03:22 PM.

Just tested the export from TransDEM and Open Street to Trainz and am happy with the results. I have been able to get the entire rail connection on the T1 and T9 lines in little under 5 or 6 hours from Berowra to Richmond and Emu Plains..... including Primary, secondary and tertiary roads.

Now with the test there was one issue and that was with my computer having a hard time of it all...... so new hardware is certainly required.

However.... until then I am making a decision.

I will go to a backup I created shortly after adding the rail tracks to Trainz and have decided I will add the roads in myself rather than have the roads added via TransDEM, This will allow me to get on with editing the route until whatever stage I upgrade my laptop.
    Last edited by rjord1; July 30th, 2019 at 04:45 PM.

Checked out the accuracy of the layout of the Metro Train rail line at Chatswood and TransDEM has done a great job with the accuracy.
    Not only is the active Metro train line in the route but TransDEM also shows me where the Metro leaves Chatswood, moves south to the corner of Mowbray Road and Pacific Highway and then heads off towards Crows Nest.

I have not yet decided how I will deal with the Metro as yet in this route.
    Last edited by rjord1; July 30th, 2019 at 04:47 PM.

With this project I am going to attach new versions of the Sydney Train Cityrail fleet all with night textures similar to that shown below. I will also be paying attention to detail to the night textures of all models seen here to give the project a realistic night time experience.

The train models will be created with Blender 2.8 with the correct day and night textures of the actual trains.

Last edited by rjord1; August 3rd, 2019 at 11:46 AM.

Before this project gets too far I have renamed the project to Transport Sydney Trains 2020 to keep up with the times...... keeping in mind that the CityRail rail network ceased operations in June 2013.

This project will have a level of detail unlike my prior attempt 10 years and I am using resources now available which allow me to see the Sydney rail network in great detail. This will allow me to build assets with realistic attention to detail.

For example the screenshot below shows an area of the project I am working on soon where the trains leaving Eveleigh need to stop at this particular spot before progressing. Now this picture is 6 years old so I am doing research to determine if Eveleigh is still used and if so by which train sets.

Last edited by rjord1; August 3rd, 2019 at 11:43 AM.