Newby Having Trouble Getting Started

boxcar16

I recently downloaded and installed Trainz, and I am looking forward to the game.
I am having trouble getting the game to start. When I press the icon, I get a small rectangle with four options: Start Trainz, Manage Content, Trainz Settings, and Purchase Content.
Then when I select “Start Trainz”, another, smaller rectangle flashes on the screen and immediately disappears. I am hung up here.
Any help would be much appreciated.

You might give some basic info on your hardware. (ie: Mac or Windows, OS version, etc)

Start Trains should indeed launch the game for you. What happens when you try "Manage Content" and/or Trainz Settings?

You might give some basic info on your hardware. (ie: Mac or Windows, OS version, etc)

Start Trains should indeed launch the game for you. What happens when you try "Manage Content" and/or Trainz Settings?

I am operating Windows 7.

When I tried "Manage Content", I got a long list of contents, as well as a drop-down list, classifying the contents more narrowly. That looks good, as far as I can tell.

When I tried "Trainz Settings", I noticed that maybe I should have bought a ticket - so I bought a 90-day ticket.

I am supposed to Log in to "My Trainz > Download Ticket, to activate it. Strangely, I can't seem to find where to do that.

I will take a break now, and try again later. Thanks, again.

If you have not done so you need to enter your Trainz Account info into game. From your opening game panel click "Trainz Settings" then "Internet" - Enter your Username and Password.

Your FCT may have to be activated on website. I forget. (others can chime in) - But check this:
- Log into your account on the portal: https://www.auran.com/planetauran/portal.php
- Note all the left under "Profile" the link for Memberships, My Downloads, etc.
- What you are looking for may be on one of those.

A few things to check here:

Video card. What model do you have?

Antivirus... Ensure your antivirus is not real-time scanning your data folder and program folder. This can wreak havoc with TRS2019 and other Trainz versions.

But more importanly, we need the details on your video card. It maybe if you are using a built-in kind it might not be powerful enough to handle the program properly. This is the case with some of those pre-built systems you can get from Staples, Best Buy, and other big stores, and on non-gaming quality laptops.

A few things to check here:

Video card. What model do you have?

Antivirus... Ensure your antivirus is not real-time scanning your data folder and program folder. This can wreak havoc with TRS2019 and other Trainz versions.

But more importanly, we need the details on your video card. It maybe if you are using a built-in kind it might not be powerful enough to handle the program properly. This is the case with some of those pre-built systems you can get from Staples, Best Buy, and other big stores, and on non-gaming quality laptops.

Thanks for the ideas, JCitron.

My graphics are handled by "Intel HD, core i5". The computer is an Acer All-In-One purchased in 2011 from Staples. From what you say, it could well be that the graphics card is underpowered.

I turned off real-time scanning for a couple of minutes, to see if the scanning might be blocking the program. That did not make a difference.

I may start to think of getting a real gaming computer, probably in the winter time, six or seven months from now.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the ideas, JCitron.

My graphics are handled by "Intel HD, core i5". The computer is an Acer All-In-One purchased in 2011 from Staples. From what you say, it could well be that the graphics card is underpowered.

I turned off real-time scanning for a couple of minutes, to see if the scanning might be blocking the program. That did not make a difference.

I may start to think of getting a real gaming computer, probably in the winter time, six or seven months from now.

Thanks again.

Intel i5 HD graphics covers a variety of sins. The first stop is to see if it has directx 12 supported. https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/15061/windows-which-version-directx

There is one layout called middleton for laptops that will run if you have series 4000 HD or better on your machine.

Go here https://www.jatws.org/johnw/john.html first then download most content https://www.jatws.org/johnw/middleton.zip. You'll need to pick up middleton from the DLS but download the content first then you only need a couple of files.

For a gaming machine Dell refurbished workstations with a decent GPU work well. www.dellrefurbished.ca keep an eye on what is available. You want a Tower case and xeon quad or 6 core with 16 gigs of memory. Switch the video card to something with a passmark G3D score of 10,000 or more. Only certain video cards fit the Dell workstations the problem is the height. So ASUS cards that are 4.5 inches tall work. An RTX 2070 would be a reasonable card, a GTX 1050 TI would be the low end.

Since you're localish to Ottawa I may have some spare hardware floating around if you PM me.

Cheerio John

Back