Station Problem

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
What is wrong when the passenger locomotive stops too far past the station to load and unload? Looking to fix a station before I release it.

Could it be the stopping position for the station its self be the problem?

There is a specific radius too for stations, but I'm not sure if this is specified in the script or the asset so I'm not sure about this. I've never disassembled a station other than to fix missing passenger queues to find out.

At stations, there are 2 ways to implement the loading and unloading of passengers. This from my experience and experimentation. Direct a train to "Drive to XX", then you have two options: Loading passengers, or "load" (or unload). With load passengers, the train sops out of place, but doors 0pen/close. With "load", it stops right at the middle of the consist/platform. This command is used also for loading (or unloading) at M.I.N. tracks. If you use AJS stations, that is the effect. These stations also offer settings for where the train stops. It may be helpful if a deeper investigation is made on how this is accomplished. Then there is another troublesome fact: Passenger commodities. There are several available. At least two of them use the same icon, so when you use one, by the looks of the icon, you may be using the other. And if the cars you are using use a different type of passenger than what is available at the station, the train may not stop because there is "nothing" to load or unload, even if you think there is. Then there are the obsolete passengers still used by older cars.. Sometimes Trainz plays with us unsuspecting users, creating confusion.

One thing I noticed while playing with the PL tracks is that the AI will go past the location where they are supposed to stop in TANE and TRS19. A closer look showed me that the train stops but rolls on past the stopping point. In one experiment I had the locomotive uncouple immediately after "stopping" and, sure enough, the uncoupled consist continued to roll for quite a ways. So I'm guessing that inertia is part of the problem. One possible solution might be to reduce the speed approaching the stopping point substantially.

Last edited:
I am using the standard set-up for my stations. I have used this many times before, with no problems getting the train to stop right at the station. But this ONE station, the train rolls right on through and stops about a hundred yards down the track past the station. I have re-worked and re-worked and even used the same track points and trigger radius that I've used before to no avail. I may have to just forget about this station and delete it. It's such a gorgeous station though... hate to do that.

Super Frustrating to say the least. :(

I am using the standard set-up for my stations. I have used this many times before, with no problems getting the train to stop right at the station. But this ONE station, the train rolls right on through and stops about a hundred yards down the track past the station. I have re-worked and re-worked and even used the same track points and trigger radius that I've used before to no avail. I may have to just forget about this station and delete it. It's such a gorgeous station though... hate to do that.

Super Frustrating to say the least. :(

Super Frustrating is an understatement!

By all means don't delete the station.

Are the platforms long enough for the train you are testing? I have run into issues where a really long passenger train didn't fit on the and things didn't work right.

Another thing, which I've run into the past, is there a signal prior to the station? A type 04 signal is okay, but a type 05 will cause fits. I've run into a problem where an AI saw the green signal and proceeded onward as though the station didn't exist. There's also a problem where the station stopping script doesn't catch the AI train if there's already a preceding consist leaving and the next train is following in behind. This created quite a ruckus on my trolley route where trolleys follow each other. By placing a type 04 just before the platform, the first AI train had a chance to clear the platform before the following one pulled in.

And finally Norm mentioned something that might need to be addressed. What speed is your train going before pulling into the station. The train should be about 10-12 mph. If they go any faster, they will skip along.

Super Frustrating is an understatement!

By all means don't delete the station.

Are the platforms long enough for the train you are testing? I have run into issues where a really long passenger train didn't fit on the and things didn't work right.

Another thing, which I've run into the past, is there a signal prior to the station? A type 04 signal is okay, but a type 05 will cause fits. I've run into a problem where an AI saw the green signal and proceeded onward as though the station didn't exist. There's also a problem where the station stopping script doesn't catch the AI train if there's already a preceding consist leaving and the next train is following in behind. This created quite a ruckus on my trolley route where trolleys follow each other. By placing a type 04 just before the platform, the first AI train had a chance to clear the platform before the following one pulled in.

And finally Norm mentioned something that might need to be addressed. What speed is your train going before pulling into the station. The train should be about 10-12 mph. If they go any faster, they will skip along.

I have several other stations that are the same length as the station that isn't working. The other stations work just fine.

The passenger train is short. About 4 cars, including the engine.

There are no other passenger trains in the vicinity.

In this case, I have to use an invisible signal.

The train is going about 10 mph when approaching the station.

See what I mean?? Frustrating....

This might sound crazy but I have noticed on some stations it seemed to depended on the direction the train entered the station.

FIXED. All I did was spread out the "a.traxkX" points a little bit and now the train stops at the correct location.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions anyhow, guys.

You might find the settings you have used are incorrect or you are using the wrong trigger points. Set up correctly you can stop any train at any point including using the length of train to determine its stop point. Check the radius of triggers used.

I'm glad you fixed the problem and didn't delete the asset. I look forward to downloading and using your new station along with all your other assets I use on my routes.

After a few tests I did, it became clear that the coaches I had were a problem. How does a new customer deal with s situation where two variables can have problematic conditions? N3V has to determine the fault lines that cause operational failures and then TAG the assets as obsolete who will inevitably cause a good asset to not operate. A typical customer does not understand scripting languages and the maze of computer jargon. They want to enjoy creating and/or using working functions to emulate a railroad and be involved in the experience.

N3V has to understand that their worse situation is the silent "former customer". They simply become disillusioned and move to some other product. No feedback that lends improvements to the product. Just silence.

Dave

Not sure if you still have visibilty of this tread, but since I found you here, I wanted to let you know that I am having a problem with your Amtrak stations. Maybe you can help me out or set me straight. I assume the station directs which side the passenger car doors open. If so, they open the Amtrak car doors on the wrong side. No matter which direction the train comes into the station, the doors on the opposite side open for loading and unloading of passengers. So I reversed the station and get the same results. A station for reference is Amtrak Station Two DES, kuid:101046:104821 and the train cars are Amtrak Surfliner kid2:104609:1525:5 and Amtrak Horizon Coach kuid2:36446:100:2.

I really like your stations, you have made such a good variety of them for all kinds of use. Of course, I really like most everything you make. Thanks

Open the asset in explorer and open file Station.gs. Change the forward and backward around.

if (direction == Vehicle.DIRECTION_BACKWARD and triggerName == "trigger_track_0_e")
return true;

if (direction == Vehicle.DIRECTION_FORWARD and triggerName == "trigger_track_0_a")
return true;
}

Ty for the reply stagecoach....

Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work. Got a little worse, the train was stopping at the ends of the station and only the most forward car opened it's doors and on the wrong side. It sure seemed like a very logical fix.

I had compared the amtrak passenger cars on another station just to confirm the doors will open on the correct side and they did.

I know nothing about scripts and am so reluctant to modify them.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Back