Seeking Trainz fan in Limerick (Ireland)

peterwise

Steam Era Fan
I'm seeking a Trainz fan in Limerick (Ireland) who knows the Function Manager at the Bunratty Castle Hotel, Bunratty, Co. Clare.

I was talking to him, mentioned Trainz and he said he knew someone who was big into Trainz that he thought worked on the (Irish) railways and might have a screen-name like jik2... (as in 2000, 2001 etc.)

I live down the road in Shannon, Co. Clare. PM me or reply here.

Peter.

It turns out that the man concerned might be interested in in trains not Trainz. (it is difficult to explain the difference to non-Trainzers).

A recent "Nationwide" programme on RTE One (the first of Ireland's TV channels) covered a man by the name of Ray Leamey from County Limerick who is a train driver, a railway enthusiast, has a good and extensive model railway in the attic and now a garden railway (as well as a happy wife and family).

However, they didn't intimate anything about railway simulators, which might explain why no-one answered my query here.

I might try and contact him anyway (via RTE perhaps).

Peter.

The contact may be quite fruitful and the next thing you know this chap will be scrapping his extensive attic and garden railways in favor of the virtual kind. In the process, his family will become less happy as he dives deeper into the simulated rather than physically-modeled railway world. :)

There are a few of us scattered around Peter. I'm up in Belfast.

I take things slightly further than yer fella in Limerick and instead of having a garden railway, mess about with the real thing at Downpatrick. Not sure if it's of interest, but there's a diesel gala on there in October, as well as normal summer trains currently running during weekends. http://www.downrail.co.uk/

Cheers,
Innis

Thanks for everyone's info.

Good news: I got a reply from nationwide@rte.ie that they have "forwarded your letter onto the reporter who covered the story for us. She will send it onto Ray".

I might go to Downpatrick some day (for steam), Innis. I'm up on RPSI's* Portrush Flyer (Belfast - Portrush, steam of course) this weekend. Do you ever volunteer up at RPSI's headquarters & museum in Whitehead? By the way Innis, they say "no man is an island", yet apparently, judging by your name (or pseudonym?), you are (in Irish anyway). No offence, I hope. Explanation?

Peter.

* RPSI - Railway Preservation Society of Ireland

a garden railway
Is it allowed to be viewed by the public (from the road that is; not going to bluntly walk into someone's garden)? If so, could you share the address?
Reason I am asking:
My family is considering taking a 10 day vacation in/to Ireland in a few weeks and in the current schedule we will travel past Limerick.

When I read this, it reminded me of a Dating Ad :hehe: I'm in Wexford, although currently without Trainz at the moment but still got Blender so I'm just making Irish train models by the numbers! Can't wait to upload them when I do get Trainz back

Back