Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50 Years ago today . . .

Canada,East Coast,Pothole Province,Tourist Island

I forgot about that,but I'm pretty sure Sputnik 1 provided some of the first satellite data of it being an oblate spheroid... I'd think anyways. Those Flat Brainer's can't even accept basic evidence that proves it's round,such as the higher you go,the further you can see.
    Duct tape can't fix stupid. But it CAN muffle the sound.

You could be right about Sputnik 1 providing the first satellite data on that, but the fact that Earth is a slightly oblate spheroid was well known since the days of Isaac Newton (late 1600’s?). The point is that achievements like Sputnik and sending humans to the moon were only possible because of knowledge gained hundreds of years beforehand and which had already totally discredited the notion of a flat earth. They were not discoveries as such, but great demonstrations that the knowledge was correct.

As for modern day flat earthers and moon landing conspiracy theorists, not even photos and movies shot from space can convince them, but I’m sure they all happily use mobile phones and GPS navigation to get around - all fruits of the same science they insist on denying.
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 build 100240
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

Canada,East Coast,Pothole Province,Tourist Island

I stand corrected.
    Duct tape can't fix stupid. But it CAN muffle the sound.

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Default The Eagle has Landed, 50 Years Ago Today

Today is the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon. And here's Walter Cronkite's live coverage of it:
    Trainz - Easy as Pi

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Default And now for Neil's First Steps on the Moon . . .

. . . Along with his famous phrase. Interesting trivia fact: It took 3 days for Apollo 11 to get to the Moon while it took the New Horizons space probe only nine hours to get to the moon. Reason why: Weight. The New Horizons space probe was a featherweight at 1,054 pounds, or about 1.0460915479% of the heavyweight Apollo 11, which came in at 100,756 pounds. Anyway, here's Neil Armstrong's first steps on the Moon:
    Trainz - Easy as Pi