Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 Years ago today . . .

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Default 50 Years ago today . . .

. . . three brave men boarded the most powerful rocket ever created by man and were launched on an almost quarter-million mile trip to: the Moon. Today, July 16th, 2019, is the 50th anniversary of the liftoff of Apollo 11 from Kennedy Space Center's Launch Complex 39A. And here is CBS News' airing of the launch, 50 years ago today.
    Last edited by jordon412; July 16th, 2019 at 12:56 PM.
    Trainz - Easy as Pi

United States of America, Michigan, Ann Arbor
    Blog Entries

most powerful rocket, not necessarily machine.

But anyways... pretty cool, I should do a reskin.

peter
    ~Peter

I do not provide support via PM.
    Now at a new location!
    www.americantrainz.com

How long before some nut job comes along saying it was all faked?
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 build 100240
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

United States of America, Arkansas, Jonesboro

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    How long before some nut job comes along saying it was all faked?

Yeah... And Then there's those nut jobs that say the earth is FLAT. How can anyone be so stupid??

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerRock View Post
    most powerful rocket, not necessarily machine.

But anyways... pretty cool, I should do a reskin.

peter
    ish6 already has a Saturn V rocket on the DLS: Marsz-I Saturn V Rocket, <KUID:58223:30151>.
    Trainz - Easy as Pi

Quote Originally Posted by davesnow View Post
    Yeah... And Then there's those nut jobs that say the earth is FLAT. How can anyone be so stupid??
    Yeah. If it was, cats would have knocked everything off it.

Bill
    Name: Bill (CTR1, USN, Retired 1961--1980)
    User ID: 202442
    Trainzer since: 2004
    Currently using: T:ANE (build 94808)

United States of America, ill, Rock Island

Quote Originally Posted by HiBaller View Post
    Yeah. If it was, cats would have knocked everything off it.

Bill
    not that i belive it, but the wall of ice i.e. antarctica keeps all water etc in.

Cant belive its been 50 years, my parents woke me up to watch the last apollo flight.
    Modeling Ho scale on the cheap

GT 730 8 Meg

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

I was 8 and my bro was 3. We were allowed to stay up to see this, which was a rare thing to stay up past 8:30 even during the summer vacation, and we were so tired we could barely keep our eyes open to watch it. I vaguely remember watching this on TV in between checking for light leaks.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    ish6 already has a Saturn V rocket on the DLS: Marsz-I Saturn V Rocket, <KUID:58223:30151>.
    Correction on the Saturn V rocket the original author is Arraial and the kuid is: <kuid:524343:5757> Saturne V - Nasa.
    However, the textures are corrupted and need to be fixed by the author.
    butler57

I was 7 and sitting with my Grandfather watching on TV. I remember Granddad saying " I remember seeing the first airplane now I'm watching a man walk on the moon".

Dave

United States of America, Michigan, Ann Arbor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    Was more thinking of a locomotive in honor of the event... something like this!
    ~Peter

I do not provide support via PM.
    Now at a new location!
    www.americantrainz.com

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

If you measure the power of a machine in horsepower then it is still the most powerful machine ever built.

The Saturn V rocket's first stage carries 203,400 gallons (770,000 liters) of kerosene fuel and 318,000 gallons (1.2 million liters) of liquid oxygen needed for combustion. At liftoff, the stage's five F-1 rocket engines ignite and produce 7.5 million pounds of thrust. That is equivalent to 160,000,000 horsepower.

However it will lose that title soon.

Powered by 5 Rocketdyne F-1 engines producing 7,890,000 lbs of thrust, the Saturn V[1]rocket was the most powerful rocket ever built and launched as of 2017. However, Boeing and Orbital ATK's new SLS rocket[2]that is currently under construction and slated for launch in 2019 (however likely to be delayed until 2020), will surpass Saturn V as the most powerful rocket ever built. The First Core-Stage will be powered by 4 RS-25D/E engines producing a combined 1,670,000 lbs of thrust. Additionally, SLS will be equipped with two boosters producing a combined 7,200,000 lbs of thrust. In total, the SLS Block 1 rocket will produce more than 8,870,000 lbs of thrust at lift off.
    Originally, the rocket that would eventually become the SLS was called “Ares V”.[3]This design was even more powerful, with the first core-stage being powered by 5 RS-68B Engines producing around 3,500,000 lbs of thrust combined. With the addition of the two 5-stage solid rocket boosters, which would produce around 7,200,000 lbs of thrust, Ares V would lift off producing a total 10,700,000 lbs of thrust. A version for heavier payloads would have a 6 RS-68B engines powering the first core-stage instead of 5, producing a grand total of 11,400,000 lbs of thrust at lift off.
    SpaceX's Interplanetary Launch Vehicle[4] Booster, with a planned launch date somewhere between 2022 and 2024, will be powered by 31 Raptor engines and produce over 11,800,000 lbf of thrust, with the ability to significantly increase thrust throughout the vehicles design life. This, obviously, will be by far the most powerful rocket ever built.

William

Blog Entries

We had a program on the Yesterday TV channel about the hoax theories. There were two chaps, one apparently an ex Rocketdyne employee and the other the editor of some British magazine and people who had been associated with the mission were debunking their "theories" with actual demonstrations. I liked the final comment on the program; "If NASA had spent all that money on producing a fake, it would have been cheaper to send a rocket to the moon."!
    John,
    (A bear of little brain)

Canada,East Coast,Pothole Province,Tourist Island

Adding to what Dave said,how cloud they photoshop the Earth in the 60's? besides,it was the USSR to first confirm that the Earth was round with Sputnik 1... But,technically speaking,the Earth isn't completely round... it's around 99 percent round,or 6378.1KM at it's equator,and 6356.8KM at it's polar radius. Perhaps the Earth is a bit fat... ...And yet they pin it all on NASA for "lying" (Extreme sarcasm.). And the moon landings did happen,there's stuff left over from the Apollo missions that was also confirmed by other space agency's... But it is hard to believe that Apollo 11 was 50 years ago. Well,as for all those Flat Brainer's and there Trump-sized joke of a society,please just get paved over in one of the potholes in Nova Scotia so we never have to see or here that seagull-brained nonsense and never have to replace a tire or rim from a pothole,we have plenty of nasty potholes. The Flat Ear er,Brain Society:Biggest joke,blunder,and embarrassment in the history of mankind.
    Last edited by RailFan500CA; July 17th, 2019 at 03:02 PM. Reason: One more thing...
    Duct tape can't fix stupid. But it CAN muffle the sound.

Actually it was the ancient Greeks who first speculated that the earth was spherical in about 600 BC. Astronomical measurements confirmed it in about 300 BC, along with an estimate of earth’s circumference.
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 build 100240
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD