50 Years ago today . . .

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
. . . three brave men boarded the most powerful rocket ever created by man and were launched on an almost quarter-million mile trip to: the Moon. Today, July 16th, 2019, is the 50th anniversary of the liftoff of Apollo 11 from Kennedy Space Center's Launch Complex 39A. And here is CBS News' airing of the launch, 50 years ago today.

Last edited:
most powerful rocket, not necessarily machine.

But anyways... pretty cool, I should do a reskin.

peter

Yeah. If it was, cats would have knocked everything off it. :hehe:

Bill

not that i belive it, but the wall of ice i.e. antarctica keeps all water etc in.

Cant belive its been 50 years, my parents woke me up to watch the last apollo flight.

I was 8 and my bro was 3. We were allowed to stay up to see this, which was a rare thing to stay up past 8:30 even during the summer vacation, and we were so tired we could barely keep our eyes open to watch it. I vaguely remember watching this on TV in between checking for light leaks.

ish6 already has a Saturn V rocket on the DLS: Marsz-I Saturn V Rocket, <KUID:58223:30151>.

Correction on the Saturn V rocket the original author is Arraial and the kuid is: <kuid:524343:5757> Saturne V - Nasa.
However, the textures are corrupted and need to be fixed by the author.

I was 7 and sitting with my Grandfather watching on TV. I remember Granddad saying " I remember seeing the first airplane now I'm watching a man walk on the moon".

Dave

ish6 already has a Saturn V rocket on the DLS: Marsz-I Saturn V Rocket, <KUID:58223:30151>.

Was more thinking of a locomotive in honor of the event... something like this!
ddbuvkm-889f02f7-1b25-470c-853a-ed4cfe54715a.jpg

If you measure the power of a machine in horsepower then it is still the most powerful machine ever built.

The Saturn V rocket's first stage carries 203,400 gallons (770,000 liters) of kerosene fuel and 318,000 gallons (1.2 million liters) of liquid oxygen needed for combustion. At liftoff, the stage's five F-1 rocket engines ignite and produce 7.5 million pounds of thrust. That is equivalent to 160,000,000 horsepower.

However it will lose that title soon.

Powered by 5 Rocketdyne F-1 engines producing 7,890,000 lbs of thrust, the Saturn V[1]rocket was the most powerful rocket ever built and launched as of 2017. However, Boeing and Orbital ATK's new SLS rocket[2]that is currently under construction and slated for launch in 2019 (however likely to be delayed until 2020), will surpass Saturn V as the most powerful rocket ever built. The First Core-Stage will be powered by 4 RS-25D/E engines producing a combined 1,670,000 lbs of thrust. Additionally, SLS will be equipped with two boosters producing a combined 7,200,000 lbs of thrust. In total, the SLS Block 1 rocket will produce more than 8,870,000 lbs of thrust at lift off.
Originally, the rocket that would eventually become the SLS was called “Ares V”.[3]This design was even more powerful, with the first core-stage being powered by 5 RS-68B Engines producing around 3,500,000 lbs of thrust combined. With the addition of the two 5-stage solid rocket boosters, which would produce around 7,200,000 lbs of thrust, Ares V would lift off producing a total 10,700,000 lbs of thrust. A version for heavier payloads would have a 6 RS-68B engines powering the first core-stage instead of 5, producing a grand total of 11,400,000 lbs of thrust at lift off.
SpaceX's Interplanetary Launch Vehicle[4] Booster, with a planned launch date somewhere between 2022 and 2024, will be powered by 31 Raptor engines and produce over 11,800,000 lbf of thrust, with the ability to significantly increase thrust throughout the vehicles design life. This, obviously, will be by far the most powerful rocket ever built.

William

We had a program on the Yesterday TV channel about the hoax theories. There were two chaps, one apparently an ex Rocketdyne employee and the other the editor of some British magazine and people who had been associated with the mission were debunking their "theories" with actual demonstrations. I liked the final comment on the program; "If NASA had spent all that money on producing a fake, it would have been cheaper to send a rocket to the moon."!

Adding to what Dave said,how cloud they photoshop the Earth in the 60's? besides,it was the USSR to first confirm that the Earth was round with Sputnik 1... But,technically speaking,the Earth isn't completely round... it's around 99 percent round,or 6378.1KM at it's equator,and 6356.8KM at it's polar radius. Perhaps the Earth is a bit fat...:hehe: ...And yet they pin it all on NASA for "lying" (Extreme sarcasm.). And the moon landings did happen,there's stuff left over from the Apollo missions that was also confirmed by other space agency's... But it is hard to believe that Apollo 11 was 50 years ago. Well,as for all those Flat Brainer's and there Trump-sized joke of a society,please just get paved over in one of the potholes in Nova Scotia so we never have to see or here that seagull-brained nonsense and never have to replace a tire or rim from a pothole,we have plenty of nasty potholes. The Flat Ear er,Brain Society:Biggest joke,blunder,and embarrassment in the history of mankind.

Last edited:
Actually it was the ancient Greeks who first speculated that the earth was spherical in about 600 BC. Astronomical measurements confirmed it in about 300 BC, along with an estimate of earth’s circumference.

I forgot about that,but I'm pretty sure Sputnik 1 provided some of the first satellite data of it being an oblate spheroid... I'd think anyways. Those Flat Brainer's can't even accept basic evidence that proves it's round,such as the higher you go,the further you can see.

You could be right about Sputnik 1 providing the first satellite data on that, but the fact that Earth is a slightly oblate spheroid was well known since the days of Isaac Newton (late 1600’s?). The point is that achievements like Sputnik and sending humans to the moon were only possible because of knowledge gained hundreds of years beforehand and which had already totally discredited the notion of a flat earth. They were not discoveries as such, but great demonstrations that the knowledge was correct.

As for modern day flat earthers and moon landing conspiracy theorists, not even photos and movies shot from space can convince them, but I’m sure they all happily use mobile phones and GPS navigation to get around - all fruits of the same science they insist on denying.

The Eagle has Landed, 50 Years Ago Today

Today is the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon. And here's Walter Cronkite's live coverage of it:

And now for Neil's First Steps on the Moon . . .

. . . Along with his famous phrase. Interesting trivia fact: It took 3 days for Apollo 11 to get to the Moon while it took the New Horizons space probe only nine hours to get to the moon. Reason why: Weight. The New Horizons space probe was a featherweight at 1,054 pounds, or about 1.0460915479% of the heavyweight Apollo 11, which came in at 100,756 pounds. Anyway, here's Neil Armstrong's first steps on the Moon:

Back