making a non interactive asset interactive

dangavel

i have a number of gilsonite loading platforms that are not interactive. I seem to recall someone mentioning that it is possible to use a current , interactive gilsonite loading asset beneath a non interactive item so that when a train passes over the interactive item it will load, it this just a load of old tripe or is there basis in fact to my musing? If it isn't a load of hogwash how does one go about it ? if its not possible, how difficult would it be to add interactivity to the loaders that do not have interactivity. The gilsonite items were made by the late Ben Dorsey so we don't have access to his gmax files but the products are allowed to be adapted .
Please bear in mind that dealing with this stuff is NOT one of my strengths , I've never been able to get the wool loading items John Whelan made for me to work, I don't work too well with anything other then very straightforward config changes. I do have PEV tools but have not used them much as they are on PC and I'm largely on my Mac. So any instructions have to be grade 4 level or lower .:)

I seem to recall someone mentioning that it is possible to use a current , interactive gilsonite loading asset beneath a non interactive item so that when a train passes over the interactive item it will load
An industry that is not interactive is not an industry - it's scenery. Or, do you mean by 'interactive' that it supports animation such as an opening chute and smoke effects?

If you have a scenery item and you want to make it look like an industry then you create an interactive loading location using a generic interactive loading asset such as multi-industry new, and you place a simple scenery asset on top of it to make it look like the unloading is occurring at that scenery asset.

Adding animation to a non-animated industry is very complex and it would probably be easier to start from scratch.

An industry that is not interactive is not an industry - it's scenery. Or, do you mean by 'interactive' that it supports animation such as an opening chute and smoke effects?

If you have a scenery item and you want to make it look like an industry then you create an interactive loading location using a generic interactive loading asset such as multi-industry new, and you place a simple scenery asset on top of it to make it look like the unloading is occurring at that scenery asset.

Adding animation to a non-animated industry is very complex and it would probably be easier to start from scratch.

These are loading platforms, next to a mine, so as a train passes over a trigger point on the track the load appears on the flatcar, nothing more complex than that .The loads are beneath the track itself you don't see actually any animation of items . in addition to animated trams in mine trestles , Ben set up simpler loading for a number of gilsonite warehouses and platforms. Paul Gorski has made some more excellent platforms but doesn't know how to set up loading.

These are loading platforms, next to a mine, so as a train passes over a trigger point on the track the load appears on the flatcar, nothing more complex than that
From that description it seems that you already have some platforms that are interactive industries, so perhaps your query relates to the Paul Gorski platforms. These would be scenery items that you place on top of a generic loading industry such as multi industry new.

From that description it seems that you already have some platforms that are interactive industries, so perhaps your query relates to the Paul Gorski platforms. These would be scenery items that you place on top of a generic loading industry such as multi industry new.

yep, the URY dragon freight house is one such item, Ben stacked bags on the platform , but the bags do not need to be visible, from what you say i can change the product for multi industry new , place the loader on top and that would work ?
I've added the product to the list on multi industry new and changed the track so it will become narrow gauge, however the asset cannot have its height changed, so its actually underground for most of its length, I will need to play around and see if it can be tilted or change the track level.

Last edited:
well that was a waste of time, trains derail as soon as they encounter the multi industry track.I made the track able to change height and to roll to fir the incline of the section i'm using, , probably the latter is an issue, I do NOT have a good track record with this sort of stuff, not my forte......

You can do this, the only problem I've found is that they are likely to disconnect when you work on other nearby stuff so you need to double check that they are connected every time you mess with that area and before you save the route.

Hi,

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but it really touches on what i want to do. I have a layout of the Cass Scenic Railroad, and the high point in the line is Bald Knob. There is a really nice observation platform there, but it is only a scenery item. If I could find a good interactive one, i would just replace it, but I haven't been able to find one. So my question is - is there anyway to make the platform interactive, so that I could unload passengers to the platform, and then reload them on the train? Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Morrison

is there anyway to make the platform interactive, so that I could unload passengers to the platform, and then reload them on the train?

Follow the advice at #2. For your case the product is passengers, so you would need an invisible platform rather than an invisible industry.

Back