A Real Pain in the Ear

bnsfc

Steam Nut
I'm not sure if its been covered before ( I cant find any threads but I didn't look too hard) but the "Nathan NCP5A" (kuid2:37581:1047:3) horn sound used of a few JR loco's has an, audio glitch? maybe? It is an extremely high pitch tone that, while not that loud, is very painful to the ears. So much so that I don't use loco's that have it on the head/ tail ends of consists. I'm not sure everyone can hear it as it is very high pitch (think sound from a tube TV) but if there was a way to update it with a fix, or someone tell me I'm stupid and how to fix it on my end, that would be very much appreciated. :wave:

I'm not sure if its been covered before ( I cant find any threads but I didn't look too hard) but the "Nathan NCP5A" (kuid2:37581:1047:3) horn sound used of a few JR loco's has an, audio glitch?
You can open it for editing and replace the sound file with something different, or process it through the low pass filter in Audacity to remove the high frequencies.

But the more typical fix is to change the locos so they use a different horn..

That Audacity program is a godsend. Fixed 100's of wonky WAVs for Trainz over the years. Also good for killing those annoying "POPS" the crossings sometimes have...

I take it you're referring to the horn that comes stock on the CN/IC SD40-2? Yep, noticed that myself, nearly made that unit unbearable to run. Didn't even cross my mind to just fix the horn.
EDIT: Well, the low pass filter is... a bit difficult to manage, preserving the quality while removing the high pitched tone. It seems the sweet spot might be around 4000-5000 Hz, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Last edited:
Do any of you realize how easy it is to just put a different hornsound on it?

Putting a different hornsound on it can be quite difficult. Often there are more than one sound, and they have to be carefully adjusted so they match. Much easier to change the loco to a different horn, as suggested above.

Putting a different hornsound on it can be quite difficult. Often there are more than one sound, and they have to be carefully adjusted so they match. Much easier to change the loco to a different horn, as suggested above.

What do you think I’m talking about? All you have to do is go into the config and change two kuids.

What do you think I’m talking about? All you have to do is go into the config and change two kuids.
If you are referring to the config for the loco, then that is correct, and was already mentioned several times above. As you used the term 'it' then the assumption is you are referring to asset from the first post, '"Nathan NCP5A" (kuid2:37581:1047:3) horn sound', where changes are more difficult, as was implied when that option was mentioned in the first response.

a new version has been uploaded as :4 with the piercing strip along 14000-17000hz obliterated, awaiting DLS approval. I'm assuming that very high end part was the offending matter in particular as otherwise p5a's do tend to be a bit shrill.

Last edited:
a new version has been uploaded as :4 with the piercing strip along 14000-17000hz obliterated, awaiting DLS approval. I'm assuming that very high end part was the offending matter in particular as otherwise p5a's do tend to be a bit shrill.

Thanks for fixing this so quick! I always really liked this horn and wanted to use it but couldn't bring myself to because of that piercing sound. Really looking forward to finally being able to use it after years of always changing it

Back