Survey in Trainz News, July 2019 - Content Manager good/bad?

I would like to see something similar to Content Creator Plus,and a Content manager similar to the TRS2006-TS12 CM rather than that mac styled one... And a way to separate all the mobile built-in clone crap. I also would like to see some of the other things suggested here.

I third that Dave! Thumbnails of the actual asset should be required or NO UPLOAD. I would also add that routes should have a description required, and Sessions should be required to say what route they are for. Man I left a lot out of my survey!

Last edited:
Thumbnails of the actual asset should be required or NO UPLOAD.

In an ideal world, yes - but I do not know how that could be enforced without a human looking at every thumbnail and comparing it with the actual asset installed into Trainz. Will there be enough hours in the day or people willing to take on that role?

There are so many exceptions and loopholes that I could think of - such as things that are invisible, like sounds. Then take a look at the assets in the series <kuid:37235:300001> Road Sign 01 to <kuid:37235:300083> Road Sign 83 - they are all there in the one thumbnail image.

There is the capability to create a thumbnail in manage content under Content > Automatically Generate Thumbnail(s) Perhaps that could be automated when uploading or creating a cdp if there isn't one?

Vehicle-Running-Numbers (VRN)

Is the preferred running number scheme but limited to TANE and TRS19 as currently minimum build is TB 3.8.
It would be useful for this to be TB 3.7 so that modification from ARN, Numberit, Running-Numbers and any other legacy numbering schema can be completed prior to transitioning to TANE and TRS19.

In TS12 content manager your last filter was saved and when you opened CM later this same search was there. Why wasn't this feature ever implemented in TANE.

Ken

In TS12 content manager your last filter was saved and when you opened CM later this same search was there. Why wasn't this feature ever implemented in TANE.

Ken

Short answer: "because CM was rewritten from scratch".

Did you know you're two clicks away from bringing up your last search? Simply Save the filter you want, then when opening CM, click the filter drop down list, click on your saved search.

My biggest gripe is probably uncontrollable by N3V, and that is content creators who don't post a decent thumbnail of the listed asset. Many times, there are a group of assets in the thumbnail showing the different items the content creator made in a group. I like to see INDIVIDUAL screenshots of each particular item. Then there's the idiot who posts a thumbnail of the WORD the asset is, such as "TRUCK" or "SWITCH" or sometimes, even the content creator's username! Comon' folks, get with the program. The thumbnail pix are there for a reason, and that's to show the potential user what exactly he or she is contemplating downloading.

As for the page up/down keys, mine work just fine.
I liked the sarcastic ones where someone put something like "this is a no thumbnail thumbnail" but that lasted 10 minutes before the feeling of annoyance set in quickly...

Short answer: "because CM was rewritten from scratch".

Did you know you're two clicks away from bringing up your last search? Simply Save the filter you want, then when opening CM, click the filter drop down list, click on your saved search.

I know that CM was written from scratch but was saving the last filter for use next time considered a waste of time. Although it is only two clicks you then have to name it and then find it next time rather than it just being there. The present default filter Installed is a waste of time as most people would have over 150,000 items in this list.

Ken

I wish it had a tab system so all the windows were kept in the main window and not all over my desktop. That's something I liked about the old versions.

To give the contrary view, I prefer the current system with independent windows. You can move them outside the Trainz environment when needed.

. . . and another thing--- It would really be nice if this handy tool would work for items NOT YET INSTALLED. That would make not having a thumbnail not a problem.

. . . and another thing--- It would really be nice if this handy tool would work for items NOT YET INSTALLED. That would make not having a thumbnail not a problem.

<image snip>

Dave, that question has been asked before. If I can recall correctly, the solution to your problem would involve a lot of extra data being transferred across all users internet links for every uninstalled item listed by CM - even if the 3D asset view was only transferred for a selected item. This would create additional bandwidth issues and howls of protests from users who have only slow internet links.

It would also mean that the database where all the assets are stored on the N3V servers would need to be structured differently from the current design.

Back