new 4gb video card advise sought

NSWGR_46Class

Just call my Captain Rude
going to shout myself a new video card not a lot in the budget so looking at the low end of the market and the following are within my price range at my local supplier interested to hear your guys thoughts

MSI Radeon RX 570 Armor OC 4GB
Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 560 OC 4GB
GALAX GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti G1 4GB

thanks Dave

Dave i have in my computer a Gigabyte GTX 980 and that runs Trainz very smoothly and i also have in the other computer a Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI with 4gb ram and it runs everything also,,,
I would stay with Gigabyte no other brand,,,
Steve

If you can, I'd hold off for a few weeks. Since AMD has just launched it's latest generation video cards, you might well find something like the RX 580 (8GB) card creeping down towards your budget level as older stock is cleared to make way for the new.
John

Thanks for guidance I have been gifted two HP Compaq Pro 6300 Tower i7 3rd Gen 3.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD + 2TB machines to replace my current almost life expired Core 2 Duo 3gz trainz machines - but have to supply my own graphics cards - love my Geforce GT610s 2GB cards but new better PCs deserve new better Video cards
Dave i have in my computer a Gigabyte GTX 980 and that runs Trainz very smoothly and i also have in the other computer a Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI with 4gb ram and it runs everything also,,,
I would stay with Gigabyte no other brand,,,
Steve

Thanks for guidance I have been gifted two HP Compaq Pro 6300 Tower i7 3rd Gen 3.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD + 2TB machines to replace my current almost life expired Core 2 Duo 3gz trainz machines - but have to supply my own graphics cards - love my Geforce GT610s 2GB cards but new better PCs deserve new better Video cards

I can confirm that the Sapphire rx580 8gb nitro card is very nice, can run most routes on ultra or high settings, the nvidia equivalents are better value tho , but if you can get one cheap, its worth it. umart has one for $299 , cheaper than the 1060 6gb card , or theres this RX 570 8gb for $229
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/sa...Z0JdjTX42qBJQxvPMQ2khDFHaMUtSL4BoCk5sQAvD_BwE

You can use https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php and look at the 3D score.

The GTX 1650 performs better than the 1050 TI and should be cheaper. The 570 won't give you the waving grass, it uses nVidia but otherwise is fine.

Ideally you want a minimum score of around 9,000 for Trainz so if you can stretch to them a 1060 3 gig or a GTX 1660 would be better.

I might look at the TDP on tomshardware sounds daft but a Intel server often costs more in electricity over three years than the purchase price and a lower TDP means less cooling problems as well as a lower electric bill.

Buying on line might be cheaper.

Cheerio John

I gave up on my 1050 when the scenery intensive layouts came out. I like EVGA video cards, they have great customer service. Anyway, you could probably pick up a 1070 or 1080 on the cheap now that the newer cards are coming out. Used would be even cheaper, but you might get a lemon.

Just ordered one of these from mwave - my son also went through his spares box and found 16GB of ram so the main pc for trainz with have seme nice punch

I can confirm that the Sapphire rx580 8gb nitro card is very nice, can run most routes on ultra or high settings, the nvidia equivalents are better value tho , but if you can get one cheap, its worth it. umart has one for $299 , cheaper than the 1060 6gb card , or theres this RX 570 8gb for $229
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/sa...Z0JdjTX42qBJQxvPMQ2khDFHaMUtSL4BoCk5sQAvD_BwE

you would not read about it but the video card would not fit in my computer = so back on he hunt for a half decent video card :(

In what way won't it fit? As the linked card assuming you got what was ordered, is about a small as they go length wise at 125mm.

The card hits the cooling Assembly on the processor as it quite wide - there is a card made for my units that is available from
HP
https://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=Z9H52AA&opt=&sel=ACC

ha ha ha but on eBay around $80 as new old stock so got one from there
also ordered a PCI-e extenstion cable to looking into doing a dyi case insertion

In what way won't it fit? As the linked card assuming you got what was ordered, is about a small as they go length wise at 125mm.

here is the PC with the current geforce GT610 in place - with fan
20190720-190908.jpg

here is the other PC same unit with the current geforce GT610 in place - same card no fan version
20190720-190459.jpg

20190720-190459.jpg

20190720-190555.jpg

see that big plastic thing its got a fan in it and blocks the card going in

Last edited:
this is not mine - same as - seems to be a full tower case HP8300 but with a small form factor 8300 mother board shoved in

HP 8300

76511_20170402_0435321.jpg

Since one photo you sent shows a short double slot card also look at MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, or the Zotac GeForce GTX 1650 OC.

The 1650 would be much better.Check your power supply.

Cheerio John

Just seen a review on an HP8300 supplier site where a purchaser fitted a 1050TI.

So on the basis of that should be fine, nearly all cards are backwards compatible. Just need to watch the width and length.

It would help if HP used a standard motherboard layout, always been a problem upgrading HPs.

Anything higher up the chain than a 1050TI will need an 6 or 8 pin power connector from the PSU, I doubt HPs PSU has one.

thanks mate - :)
Just seen a review on an HP8300 supplier site where a purchaser fitted a 1050TI.

So on the basis of that should be fine, nearly all cards are backwards compatible. Just need to watch the width and length.

It would help if HP used a standard motherboard layout, always been a problem upgrading HPs.

Anything higher up the chain than a 1050TI will need an 6 or 8 pin power connector from the PSU, I doubt HPs PSU has one.

Back