Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new 4gb video card advise sought

Blog Entries

Default new 4gb video card advise sought

going to shout myself a new video card not a lot in the budget so looking at the low end of the market and the following are within my price range at my local supplier interested to hear your guys thoughts

MSI Radeon RX 570 Armor OC 4GB
    Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 560 OC 4GB
    GALAX GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti G1 4GB

thanks Dave

Dave i have in my computer a Gigabyte GTX 980 and that runs Trainz very smoothly and i also have in the other computer a Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI with 4gb ram and it runs everything also,,,
    I would stay with Gigabyte no other brand,,,
    Steve

If you can, I'd hold off for a few weeks. Since AMD has just launched it's latest generation video cards, you might well find something like the RX 580 (8GB) card creeping down towards your budget level as older stock is cleared to make way for the new.
    John

Blog Entries

Thanks for guidance I have been gifted two HP Compaq Pro 6300 Tower i7 3rd Gen 3.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD + 2TB machines to replace my current almost life expired Core 2 Duo 3gz trainz machines - but have to supply my own graphics cards - love my Geforce GT610s 2GB cards but new better PCs deserve new better Video cards
    Quote Originally Posted by steve123 View Post
    Dave i have in my computer a Gigabyte GTX 980 and that runs Trainz very smoothly and i also have in the other computer a Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI with 4gb ram and it runs everything also,,,
    I would stay with Gigabyte no other brand,,,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by NSWGR_46Class View Post
    Thanks for guidance I have been gifted two HP Compaq Pro 6300 Tower i7 3rd Gen 3.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD + 2TB machines to replace my current almost life expired Core 2 Duo 3gz trainz machines - but have to supply my own graphics cards - love my Geforce GT610s 2GB cards but new better PCs deserve new better Video cards
    I can confirm that the Sapphire rx580 8gb nitro card is very nice, can run most routes on ultra or high settings, the nvidia equivalents are better value tho , but if you can get one cheap, its worth it. umart has one for $299 , cheaper than the 1060 6gb card , or theres this RX 570 8gb for $229
    https://www.mwave.com.au/product/sap...BoCk5sQAvD_BwE
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Blog Entries

Wow good find dude I would be using Mwave but missed that card

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    I can confirm that the Sapphire rx580 8gb nitro card is very nice, can run most routes on ultra or high settings, the nvidia equivalents are better value tho , but if you can get one cheap, its worth it. umart has one for $299 , cheaper than the 1060 6gb card , or theres this RX 570 8gb for $229

You can use https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php and look at the 3D score.

The GTX 1650 performs better than the 1050 TI and should be cheaper. The 570 won't give you the waving grass, it uses nVidia but otherwise is fine.

Ideally you want a minimum score of around 9,000 for Trainz so if you can stretch to them a 1060 3 gig or a GTX 1660 would be better.

I might look at the TDP on tomshardware sounds daft but a Intel server often costs more in electricity over three years than the purchase price and a lower TDP means less cooling problems as well as a lower electric bill.

Buying on line might be cheaper.

Cheerio John

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

I gave up on my 1050 when the scenery intensive layouts came out. I like EVGA video cards, they have great customer service. Anyway, you could probably pick up a 1070 or 1080 on the cheap now that the newer cards are coming out. Used would be even cheaper, but you might get a lemon.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    PCIe SSD operation (program and build)

Blog Entries

Just ordered one of these from mwave - my son also went through his spares box and found 16GB of ram so the main pc for trainz with have seme nice punch

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post

Blog Entries

you would not read about it but the video card would not fit in my computer = so back on he hunt for a half decent video card

In what way won't it fit? As the linked card assuming you got what was ordered, is about a small as they go length wise at 125mm.
    Malc

Blog Entries

The card hits the cooling Assembly on the processor as it quite wide - there is a card made for my units that is available from
    HP
    https://h20386.www2.hp.com/Australia...A&opt=&sel=ACC

ha ha ha but on eBay around $80 as new old stock so got one from there
    also ordered a PCI-e extenstion cable to looking into doing a dyi case insertion

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    In what way won't it fit? As the linked card assuming you got what was ordered, is about a small as they go length wise at 125mm.

Blog Entries

here is the PC with the current geforce GT610 in place - with fan

here is the other PC same unit with the current geforce GT610 in place - same card no fan version

see that big plastic thing its got a fan in it and blocks the card going in
    Last edited by NSWGR_46Class; Today at 04:43 AM.

Blog Entries

this is not mine - same as - seems to be a full tower case HP8300 but with a small form factor 8300 mother board shoved in

HP 8300

An R7 450 has a very low 3D score for Trainz. https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php 2,195 I'd really suggest something with a score of 6,000 minimum or better.

Cheerio John