.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: new 4gb video card advise sought

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, NSW, Cowra
    Posts
    4,435
    Blog Entries
    3
     

    Default new 4gb video card advise sought

    going to shout myself a new video card not a lot in the budget so looking at the low end of the market and the following are within my price range at my local supplier interested to hear your guys thoughts

    MSI Radeon RX 570 Armor OC 4GB
    Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 560 OC 4GB
    GALAX GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti G1 4GB

    thanks Dave


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, nsw, Central Coast
    Posts
    1,495
     

    Default

    Dave i have in my computer a Gigabyte GTX 980 and that runs Trainz very smoothly and i also have in the other computer a Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI with 4gb ram and it runs everything also,,,
    I would stay with Gigabyte no other brand,,,
    Steve

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    779
     

    Default

    If you can, I'd hold off for a few weeks. Since AMD has just launched it's latest generation video cards, you might well find something like the RX 580 (8GB) card creeping down towards your budget level as older stock is cleared to make way for the new.
    John

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, NSW, Cowra
    Posts
    4,435
    Blog Entries
    3
     

    Default

    Thanks for guidance I have been gifted two HP Compaq Pro 6300 Tower i7 3rd Gen 3.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD + 2TB machines to replace my current almost life expired Core 2 Duo 3gz trainz machines - but have to supply my own graphics cards - love my Geforce GT610s 2GB cards but new better PCs deserve new better Video cards
    Quote Originally Posted by steve123 View Post
    Dave i have in my computer a Gigabyte GTX 980 and that runs Trainz very smoothly and i also have in the other computer a Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI with 4gb ram and it runs everything also,,,
    I would stay with Gigabyte no other brand,,,
    Steve


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Port Noarlunga South Australia
    Posts
    1,118
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NSWGR_46Class View Post
    Thanks for guidance I have been gifted two HP Compaq Pro 6300 Tower i7 3rd Gen 3.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD + 2TB machines to replace my current almost life expired Core 2 Duo 3gz trainz machines - but have to supply my own graphics cards - love my Geforce GT610s 2GB cards but new better PCs deserve new better Video cards
    I can confirm that the Sapphire rx580 8gb nitro card is very nice, can run most routes on ultra or high settings, the nvidia equivalents are better value tho , but if you can get one cheap, its worth it. umart has one for $299 , cheaper than the 1060 6gb card , or theres this RX 570 8gb for $229
    https://www.mwave.com.au/product/sap...BoCk5sQAvD_BwE
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, NSW, Cowra
    Posts
    4,435
    Blog Entries
    3
     

    Default

    Wow good find dude I would be using Mwave but missed that card

    Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    I can confirm that the Sapphire rx580 8gb nitro card is very nice, can run most routes on ultra or high settings, the nvidia equivalents are better value tho , but if you can get one cheap, its worth it. umart has one for $299 , cheaper than the 1060 6gb card , or theres this RX 570 8gb for $229
    https://www.mwave.com.au/product/sap...BoCk5sQAvD_BwE


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
    Posts
    13,078
     

    Default

    You can use https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php and look at the 3D score.

    The GTX 1650 performs better than the 1050 TI and should be cheaper. The 570 won't give you the waving grass, it uses nVidia but otherwise is fine.

    Ideally you want a minimum score of around 9,000 for Trainz so if you can stretch to them a 1060 3 gig or a GTX 1660 would be better.

    I might look at the TDP on tomshardware sounds daft but a Intel server often costs more in electricity over three years than the purchase price and a lower TDP means less cooling problems as well as a lower electric bill.

    Buying on line might be cheaper.

    Cheerio John

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, NSW, Cowra
    Posts
    4,435
    Blog Entries
    3
     

    Default

    Just ordered one of these from mwave - my son also went through his spares box and found 16GB of ram so the main pc for trainz with have seme nice punch


    Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    I can confirm that the Sapphire rx580 8gb nitro card is very nice, can run most routes on ultra or high settings, the nvidia equivalents are better value tho , but if you can get one cheap, its worth it. umart has one for $299 , cheaper than the 1060 6gb card , or theres this RX 570 8gb for $229
    https://www.mwave.com.au/product/sap...BoCk5sQAvD_BwE


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, NSW, Cowra
    Posts
    4,435
    Blog Entries
    3
     

    Default

    you would not read about it but the video card would not fit in my computer = so back on he hunt for a half decent video card


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Crewe, Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    14,904
     

    Default

    Just seen a review on an HP8300 supplier site where a purchaser fitted a 1050TI.

    So on the basis of that should be fine, nearly all cards are backwards compatible. Just need to watch the width and length.

    It would help if HP used a standard motherboard layout, always been a problem upgrading HPs.

    Anything higher up the chain than a 1050TI will need an 6 or 8 pin power connector from the PSU, I doubt HPs PSU has one.
    Malc


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, NSW, Cowra
    Posts
    4,435
    Blog Entries
    3
     

    Default

    thanks mate -
    Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Just seen a review on an HP8300 supplier site where a purchaser fitted a 1050TI.

    So on the basis of that should be fine, nearly all cards are backwards compatible. Just need to watch the width and length.

    It would help if HP used a standard motherboard layout, always been a problem upgrading HPs.

    Anything higher up the chain than a 1050TI will need an 6 or 8 pin power connector from the PSU, I doubt HPs PSU has one.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
    Posts
    13,078
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Just seen a review on an HP8300 supplier site where a purchaser fitted a 1050TI.

    So on the basis of that should be fine, nearly all cards are backwards compatible. Just need to watch the width and length.

    It would help if HP used a standard motherboard layout, always been a problem upgrading HPs.

    Anything higher up the chain than a 1050TI will need an 6 or 8 pin power connector from the PSU, I doubt HPs PSU has one.
    I understood the GTX 1650 had a tdp of 75 watts so didn't need an extra power supply connector. It has better performance than the older 1050 TI according to its score.

    Cheerio John

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Crewe, Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    14,904
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
    I understood the GTX 1650 had a tdp of 75 watts so didn't need an extra power supply connector. It has better performance than the older 1050 TI according to its score.

    Cheerio John
    It does but I'm guessing the length would be less of an issue for a 1.5 slot width card but nearly all of the ones usable for TRS19 are two slot and would foul the CPU's heatsink unless very short.

    Using the same supplier, There is a mini itx GTX1650 however it looks like display port / hdmi only which may be an issue with connecting to a monitor https://www.mwave.com.au/product/gig...bs=tabOverview
    Malc


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Crewe, Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    14,904
     

    Default

    In what way won't it fit? As the linked card assuming you got what was ordered, is about a small as they go length wise at 125mm.
    Malc


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, NSW, Cowra
    Posts
    4,435
    Blog Entries
    3
     

    Default

    The card hits the cooling Assembly on the processor as it quite wide - there is a card made for my units that is available from
    HP
    https://h20386.www2.hp.com/Australia...A&opt=&sel=ACC

    ha ha ha but on eBay around $80 as new old stock so got one from there
    also ordered a PCI-e extenstion cable to looking into doing a dyi case insertion

    Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    In what way won't it fit? As the linked card assuming you got what was ordered, is about a small as they go length wise at 125mm.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •