Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survey in Trainz News, July 2019 - Content Manager good/bad?

Question Survey in Trainz News, July 2019 - Content Manager good/bad?

There is a survey in this month's Trainz News about "additional content". Among many good questions about how we obtain and manage additional content, it asks;

1. What we most like about Content Manager?
    2. What could be improved?

While we wait for overall survey results, I would be very interested to hear what others are thinking on those 2 questions.

[For the record, my own responses were;

1. What I like most - the amazing speed at which CM can list the entire local database and even the entire DLS.

2. Improvements;
    - For ease of constructing multi-line filters, put the + and - buttons to the LEFT side (or both sides) of the CM window.
    - A filter for "maximum build number" instead of requiring the non-intuitive combination of AND NOT with "minimum build number".
    - Display, sort and filter on a wider range of attributes like Kind, seasonal features, procedural construction (tracks, Speedtree etc).
    - Ability to do strictly limited editing of otherwise locked assets (username, category-keyword and one or two other functionally harmless tags).
    - Ability to save and recover modified usernames, keywords etc., to/from a file that isn't wiped by patches, re-installations, new installations.]

Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; July 13th, 2019 at 03:38 AM.
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 build 100240
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

I also suggested the page up/down keys be usable.

And being able to select and copy from the CM screen.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    PCIe SSD operation (program and build)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    Not with my Trainz computer at the moment to confirm but I think you can almost do that already. I have, on the odd occasion, highlighted a group of assets, selected copy and then pasted into a text editor and other apps. The limitation, if I can remember correctly, is that you only get the kuid and username regardless of how many fields are on the screen in CM.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    I also suggested the page up/down keys be usable.

Page Up/Down keys work for me in CM for TANE and TRS2019.

Copy also works, assuming you only need to copy/paste the usernames and kuids of highlighted assets.

I have had occasional trouble however, as it seems to hold onto previously copied items in its clipboard and sometimes won't replace them with a new entry. This is a quirk of Windows10, not the fault of CM (thanks clam1952)
    Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; July 13th, 2019 at 06:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Probably about time we had a reasoned discussion on the future of the DLS database including what we want in it.

I don't really have many issues with CM itself. One of these days maybe N3V would clarify the difference between "Type" and "Category". i.e. Type appears as a column heading but Category does not. But you can filter on Category but not Type.

I think I support the idea of removing assets that have missing dependencies but would like to see a discussion first.

Paul

I would like to see an in-game link to open CM instead of having to open the start screen.

'manage CM as thumbnails' could do with some basic column headings such as 'date uploaded'.

I dislike having the phone-generated (Android etc) assets used for storage purposes mixed in with 'real' content.

Apart from that, CM is a great versatile tool.
    Graham,

A member of TCWW

Blog Entries

Would like it to be more like the old TS12 manager and a easy way to edit configs like the Content Creation Manager would be nice - yes we did have it better off in the old days - Content management went back to the stone age in TANE and TRS19

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    Here too.

Copy also works, assuming you only need to copy/paste the usernames and kuids of highlighted assets.
    When I copy/paste highlighted assets from CM to text, I get KUIDs and asset names, never usernames, in both T:ANE and TRS2019, any version, beta or not.

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    When I copy/paste highlighted assets from CM to text, I get KUIDs and asset names, never usernames, in both T:ANE and TRS2019, any version, beta or not.
    Asset names ARE known as usernames in config.txt files. Open any config, you will see what I mean. It's just N3V 's stupid nomenclature. So we are both seeing the same thing on copy/paste.
    Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; July 13th, 2019 at 05:37 AM.

Copy also works, assuming you only need to copy/paste the usernames and kuids of highlighted assets. I have had occasional trouble however, as it seems to hold onto previously copied items in its clipboard and sometimes won't replace them with a new entry.
    That's a Win10 issue with the new clipboard setup since it now saves multiple copied items, it happens randomly here with any program and not just TRS19 or TANE.
    Malc

Blog Entries

I know what I answered. It would be more interesting to read how my answers compare to the overall results from all those who will have answered when the survey is closed. And then to see what will be done with the results, put on a shelf to gather dust or will some things change?

As for missing dependencies, if there was a way to include the source of non-DLS objects or at least flag objects with non-DLS dependencies so that I would know there would be extra work involved after they are downloaded.

70337:
    TRS19 build 98592| Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

Default when you open should be Custom, not Installed.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    PCIe SSD operation (program and build)

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

My peeve with Content Manager is the lack of wildcard searching especially with author names. Needing to know how to spell the author's name makes it very difficult to find specific assets or even including a lot of the great stuff we download from the DLS and install from elsewhere.

Being able to search for authors using partial searches such as D* to find authors that being with D, for example would be great, or how about Dre* to find those starting with Dre or dre.

There are other things too that I didn't include but should have, thinking back about the survey now, such as searching on status, and other types such as regions which we can't do now.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

United States of America, Arkansas, Jonesboro

My biggest gripe is probably uncontrollable by N3V, and that is content creators who don't post a decent thumbnail of the listed asset. Many times, there are a group of assets in the thumbnail showing the different items the content creator made in a group. I like to see INDIVIDUAL screenshots of each particular item. Then there's the idiot who posts a thumbnail of the WORD the asset is, such as "TRUCK" or "SWITCH" or sometimes, even the content creator's username! Comon' folks, get with the program. The thumbnail pix are there for a reason, and that's to show the potential user what exactly he or she is contemplating downloading.

As for the page up/down keys, mine work just fine.

United States of America, Fla., Spring Hill

AMAN to that, well said Dave.