Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountains.

Default Mountains.

Trying to make realistic mountain range, but am having problems finding convincing textures, and having it look like a mountain range. What am i missing?

My immediate thoughts are the too pointed peaks, unless that's what you like. Using 5m grids instead of 10m would give better contours, but uses up more pc resources. That in itself would allow the textures to blend in better, rather than appear stretched.

Now use the smoothing tool on max diameter and max sensitivity and sweep down starting just below the high point, you'll get the knack soon enough. Or you could use splines, lock the spline points and fill.
    cheers
    Graeme

Definately use a 5m grid and smooth the peaks. Although some mountains do have sherp peaks.
    Create fissures and outcrops too (see pic 2)
    Textures.. try mixing textures instead of using one.
    Alternate the direction of textures by changing the direction.

Look at textures by rudefx with a prefix FX and by clam1952 with a prefix CL.

Non pbr...

Graham,

A member of TCWW

Smoothing tool? There is no such thing, which is a right pain in the rear! People have been asking for that for over a decade, so please explain? There is a plateau tool which crudely does it, if you know how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alikiwi View Post
    Smoothing tool? There is no such thing, which is a right pain in the rear!
    The plateau tool is a smoothing tool - it adjusts points of differing height towards the same height, with the degree of adjustment controllable by a setting.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoothing

You may have a different requirement. This is usually met by the use of a custom displacement map in conjunction with the up, down or plateau tools.

Can i adjust the squares in the middle of a build or do i have to start over from scratch with the 5cm?

Those look fantastic..im for sure missing a environmental setting

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by lndshrk25 View Post
    Can i adjust the squares in the middle of a build or do i have to start over from scratch with the 5cm?
    You can, but it's not recommended if you have textured the surface already. For some reason the textures lose their mapping and they become squares. I found this out the hard way way back when the 5 m ^2 grid came out.

My recommendation is to make a copy of your route and give it a try on another version. It'll mean retexturing your mountains again, but the only way to find out is to experiment with it.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

Saved my route and switched it to 5cm. Very helpful. I think that helped, Does it look any better?

That looks a whole lot better, well done.
    Remember also that not all mountains are cliff-edged, but they are the most dramatic.

The Canadian Rockies are spectacular, I did a road trip west to east and back again, that was 40 years ago but I still have the memories, they make UK mountains look like foothills

Check these images out, you might get some inspiration

https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=977&dpr=1
    Graham,

A member of TCWW

Thank you for the compliment, and the link(was thinking to myself, Duh..why didnt i do that...)

Would recommend using Transdem which will give you real world terrain. Even if building a fictional route you can probably find an area or existing line which gives the sort of template you want.

Now painting mountains in Trainz - that is another matter. Most of the textures we have are too fine and at anything over medium distance can look chequerboard. That's why I prefer more rolling hills which can be addressed with moorland or dryish grass textures, maybe a bit of scrub and rock blended in but look much better.
    Digging away in MSTS & TANE...

United States of America, Idaho, Sandpoint

What you might be thinking of is an erosion tool similar to what what Sim City had. I agree we need an erosion tool.