Routes to run New Haven Equipment.

One issue with the DL&W catenaries is that they are too low for the pantographs of PWeiser's NH Electrics. I can't find any one track NH Catenaries on the DLS or TPR.

One issue with the DL&W catenaries is that they are too low for the pantographs of PWeiser's NH Electrics. I can't find any one track NH Catenaries on the DLS or TPR.

I used a catenary guide to set the wire height for each pole and then adjusted the height of the pantographs for each locomotive (most, if not all, pweiser locos have the capability). Took awhile :D

Yup, one of the reasons that I did not use the NH Cats was that there was no matching single track poles. Although, seeing the 2 track supports on your route makes me think... :D

I probably won't even bother with that, unfortunately. It already took long enough to set up and tweak the catenaries as it is. Is the catenary height really much of a problem? Also, I think grabbed everything PWeiser has to offer. Last time I heard, he was building a 2-10-2 for the New Haven, his second steam engine after the I-5.

And here is a panorama of the modified Mad River Line.
2019-07-07_175313.jpg

Last edited:

That would make sense actually. The DL&W ran 600V DC while the NYNY&H used 11.8KV 25 Hz AC. You wouldn't want to stand under lower cat wire at 11.8 KV!

There are other catenary systems that might work. For a single line, the PRR single-track gantries might work better for your use, although they don't quite match the NYNH&H's unique system. Unlike today, every railroad getting into the electrification, had their own style of catenary, making each system unique even if they used the same voltage.

Back