measuring FPS

autodctr

I keep seeing people posting their FPS specs, but how are they getting this info? Is it available from within Trainz or are they using another program?

hi,

There's a couple of ways:-

1) open the "developer" tab in the Trainz launcher, the select "Show profile". This displays the FPS 9along with lots of other info).
advantage - it's built in, disadvantage is you need to have it open in a window over trainz - so everything is running "windowed" mode.

2) If you have nVidia GPU and you can run "GeForce Experience", then there's an overlay you can have (in the settings menu) that will display the FPS in a corner.

3) Download "Fraps" - the free version works for this - again, it will display the current fps in a corner.

Colin

I have an Nvidia RTX 2070, but could not get the FPS to display no matter what I did. Sigh. Fraps worked right away, but I guess that the free version maxes out at 30 FPS since I never saw any higher than that. A couple of times I did see it drop to 29 or 28 FPS for a quick moment, but it pretty much stayed on 30. I will try that other one later.

Your Vertical Sync is set to HALF under Settings in Launcher. Set to NONE to see realtime FPS. Sometimes better display performance at Half depending upon what is on the screen.

Your Vertical Sync is set to HALF under Settings in Launcher. Set to NONE to see realtime FPS. Sometimes better display performance at Half depending upon what is on the screen.

Set it to "none" and still doesn't work. Argh.

Your sig says that you are near Pgh: so am I: Mon valley.

Located in Murrysville, East of Monroeville. Really the best tool is FRAPS. I have used it for many years. FOOLproof if you just stay with FPS and away from making movies with it. I believe you need Launcher Setting NONE with it. It is small (memory and CPU). FRAPS measures "systems" FPS. So, when I add a window to check the news (CNN) I see about a 10fps drop in FPS. The N3V FPS number is just the FPS speed of the rendering routine (chunk of the program). Since FRAPS works at the system level you can see the impact of other activity.

http://www.fraps.com/download.php

Last edited:
Located in Murrysville, East of Monroeville. Really the best tool is FRAPS. I have used it for many years. FOOLproof if you just stay with FPS and away from making movies with it. I believe you need Launcher Setting NONE with it. It is small (memory and CPU).

http://www.fraps.com/download.php

After turning Vsync to "none", Fraps appears to be working fine. Frame rates go between 26 and 100+. This layout is covered rather heavily with trees, and my little loco at max speed of 78 MPH shows frame rates in mid 20s. Slowing the loco down to 40 MPH gets frame rates in the 50s. I can live with that. The MSI Afterburner shows me all the info except FPS: that graph remains blank.

I know where Murrysville is: used to work right beside the now closed 84 Lumber. Drove there for 16 years from Charleroi where I live. I do NOT miss that drive now that I am retired!:)

Back