Route file size how big can it get for reliable db saves

davemare

I have built in Tane sp3 the majority of the Columbia and Western rr using approx 150 tiles. Route is mountain forested terrain using individual tree objects. No train objects or triggers in the route. File size is showing 51000k.

I would like to build the Washington and Great Eastern that connects to the C&W but am concerned how large the route file size can grow to. I suspect I would add another 25000k to the route or 75 tiles.

Any thoughts on max route size recognizing db stability issues or what can be done to reduce file size?

Where are you getting the size from? Should be from manage Content file size for just the route which is normally in MB, note you do not include the assets installed in the size, 51000K, if that is correct is only 51MB which is small, there are routes far in excess of that, largest DLC route I have installed is 680MB for the route it does have a couple of GB of dependencies though.
The only limit is the capability of your PC, unlikely that number of tiles is going to cause an issue I use many more than that one of my routes on the DLS has around 500 Tiles and is 173.9MB again with a couple of gigabytes of dependencies.
Route size does not include assets they are just listed in the route files so they can be downloaded or loaded in the route and are not part of the route file.

I would suggest anything over 500Mb for the .gnd file could start getting twitchy, though much depends on your PC as Malc has already observed. Bear in mind the bigger the route the longer it will take to load and save, also more risk of something corrupting if you run out of RAM or virtual memory at a critical moment could corrupt the whole thing (loss of ground texture data being the usual symptom).

Also at a more practical level, really, really don't bite off more route than you can chew! 50 to 60 miles is probably the optimum for a sole route builder and even then will take several months or even longer to bring to an acceptable state for a freeware release.

Oh and one more thing, AFAIK if you're thinking of hosting the route on the DLS 500Mb compressed as cdp is still the maximum file size limit.

I have an NSW-VR merged route here 1,035mb (just over 1gb) that runs fine. Saves edits and loads reasonably quickly.

The only problems i had was during the various merges. Where station platforms went walk about and track markers lost their names.

Oh and the San Andreas fault syndrome in one area, with a scar in the terrain about 3/5 mile long and to the bottom of the baseboards.

But that is a merging problem that goes back years with Trainz and never fixed.

Back up's are no longer possible to cdp though, as the file is too large. So i open for edit and save the route folder.

C&W File Size

Thanks everyone for feedback.

My file size from CM is 157MB for the route so looks like I am nowhere near some of the large layouts.

Thanks for the point of a 500mb CDP size. That is important as I would like to upload one a day.

Point about size for a single builder is accurate. I have spent a year completing the geography due to large number of creeks and rivers. Copy has become my favorite function

Back