Win 10 1903 Update

Vern

Trainz Maverick
If you have a PC with more than one hard drive, tread cautiously before installing this update when M$ offer it.

I applied the update then found my secondary "E" Drive was getting all sorts of access errors, I/O etc. No amount of Chkdsk, defrag or even a reformat could eliminate it. I even went out and bought a new 1Tb HDD, swapped out the old one and the same problem persisted. In the end, I rolled Windows 10 back to the previous version (you get 10 days to do this) and everything works okay once more.

Other people reckon they haven't seen this issue so don't know whether mine is an odd case. The core PC (mobo etc.) is around 6 years old so maybe there is a compatibility issue between the code in 1903 and my BIOS/hardware drivers. The worry is, M$ made it clear support for existing Win 10 versions will end in a few months which leaves the stark choice of not being able to get OS/security updates, not being able to use my secondary drive or going out and buying a new PC.

Probably find that MS had changed your Sata Drivers. Had an issue on an old AMD rig with 1903, MS changed the AMD AHCI Sata drivers to AMD AHCI Compatible ones, all my drives in that PC were suddenly showing up as faulty in Hard Disk Sentinel although in my case they were working. Put the correct drivers back and problem solved.
I believe there was an issue with the wrong Intel driver being installed on some PC's as well.
No problems on the other 2 PCs on 1903 here. 1809 is good up to May 2020 and you can always skip a build. https://support.microsoft.com/gl-es/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet, lot of misinformation being spread around the net.
They are still providing updates at present for 1709 and 1803, so those dates seem to be somewhat fluid!
Probably find that leaving it a bit before trying the update again may work as it will be a more up to date build that's installed with less bugs.
for example 1903 - 18362.207 update has been released on the 27th June, prior to that it would have been .127

I'd recommend backing up installed drivers before upgrading so you can reinstall anything the Microsoft messes with, see here https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68426-backup-restore-device-drivers-windows-10-a.html#option1 says for Clean install however you can just point device manager at the folder if you need to get an original driver back, easier than looking for it on the Web!

I have 1903, updated about 2 weeks ago and I must be one of the lucky ones as my main computer contains 3 drives 'platter drives' and I have had no troubles. The warnings I saw on the Net before downloading was toensurethat that all USB devices are unplugged. Don't take this as an infallible preventative, I may have been lucky that it worked for me. I have had no problems resulting from this update.

One factor could have been that that my main computer is less than 2 years old.

Peter

The USB has been fixed, only some of those who went looking for the update imediately were affected. It was only USB drives and card readers with an SD card left in that were affected and only if plugged in.

Well it's certainly a strange one. May 2020 is a little way off yet as you say and the old O/S will still work after that date anyway. By then we might have got round to buying a new PC particularly, if rumours are to be believed, MS are reviving Flight Sim, that is going to need a decent rig to run on!

My system has an SSD and two HDDs, and I have had no issues. I am planning on replacing the SSD with an NVMe M.2 SSD with more storage, and replacing the two HDDs with a single 4TB hdd. Sounds like I may need to proceed with caution.

Matt

Should be OK, don't forget 4TB drives need to be set up as GPT not MBR. All 3 PC's here which have 8, 6 and 6 drives assorted SSDs and spinners updated to 1903 faultlessly, one being an ancient AMD PhenomII rig well past it's sell buy date.

I have Win 10 1809 build 17763.437 which has been trying to upgrade to 1903 over the last couple of months or so. Just did another one today . However each and every one fails to change anything as far as I can see. They don't even give a failure code that I can chase up.
In the meantime, it will probably download the update again and again without any changes. My searches on the WWW have led to lots of uncertainty and inaccurate statements, in that I am not doing anything at the moment.

I cleaned out the download cache as well.
I have also had a new mother board, PSU, memory and Win 10 without any joy either.

I hate to think how this will pan out.

RailPilgrim - Sounds like you need to disable all your internal and external drives except for the boot drive, whilst simultaneously disconnecting all USB connections/ peripherals/ drives.
That is what I needed to do on my gaming desktop in order to successfully install Windows 10 Build 1903. Problem goes back to March of this year for Windows Insiders, and May 2019 for Windows 10 Home users.
See this link for further discussion: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ndows-10-version-1903-How-is-it-working/page2
Worth persisting - 1903 is a very good version of Windows 10.
(Expect that you'll also need to install several subsequent cumulative and security updates once you get to 1903...)
Edit Update: Suggest also look carefully at your Update History logs to see when and why your previous update attempts failed. There should be some clues (and error codes) there.

Last edited:
Looking like the next feature update may be a Service pack not a full install, as MS have just announced that slow Ring Insider updates will be done as cumulative for 19H2, just had 18362.10000.

This seems to confirm it https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...d-quality-the-next-steps/#hBQBuwU7z6qsSgKG.97

The next feature update for Windows 10 (known in the Windows Insider Program as 19H2) will be a scoped set of features for select performance improvements, enterprise features and quality enhancements. To deliver these updates in a less disruptive fashion, we will deliver this feature update in a new way, using servicing technology (like the monthly update process) for customers running the May 2019 Update who choose to update to the new release. In other words, anyone running the May 2019 Update and updating to the new release will have a far faster update experience because the update will install like a monthly update.

Having rolled back successfully, I then also refitted my original 500Gb secondary drive in addition to the new 1Tb one. All hooked up, drive letter (F) assigned automatically and all three drives working perfectly. It will be a long time (if ever) before I repeat the 1903 upgrade process - if it ain't broke and is purring like a kitten, don't fix it!

Back