Question about enginesounds/specs

thundrert

Hello and Welcome.

Yes, I'd like to ask about whether or not freeware enginesounds and specs that are posted on the DLS are able to be used for public releases?

At a guess, I would say that the same rules that apply to other assets on the DLS would also apply to sounds and engine specs - check the config.txt files for any license instructions and, even if the creator has given it away as total freeware, acknowledge them in your config.txt files as a common courtesy.

But I am not sure what you mean by "public release"? Does it mean DLS only, third party Trainz web sites or to be released for non-Trainz uses?

It'd be for a public release on a third party site. And i would be crediting the creator of the spec and sound files.

Last edited:
@thundrert
Freeware often misunderstood due to not checking what these licences mean! actually means free to use with no charge and nothing else. Meaning it is not free to upload to an external site without express permission of the copyright owner unless it say otherwise in an included licence or the description. However you can use it as a dependency and the user can download it from the DLS. There is no need to host it anywhere else.

As the OP only appears to have unsupported versions, it's not likely to be the DLS.

How do i rig it to where the user will have to download it from the DLS? Do i leave the files out? Forgive me, but I'm not well versed in such matters.

If you create say a locomotive that uses an engine sound that's on the DLS so long as it's in the loco's config, as all dependencies not part of the actual mesh are, then it will be available as a dependency and can be downloaded from the DLS.

Some creators will allow their assets to be modified by others but will insist that the modifications are only to be placed on the DLS (no third party sites), so it is important to check the config.txt files of the original assets. If you create your own loco and place that on a third party site you can still include in your creation any of these original but restricted distribution items (e.g. loco specs/sounds) as dependencies. As Malc states above, any dependencies that are on the DLS will be automatically picked up from the DLS when users install your loco.

Back