TurfFX Bug - Checkboard Squares

horacefithers

I was happily growing grass on a hillside adjacent to some tracks when I was reminded of some screwy behavior that seems to be related to TurfFX...

H-FITHERS-BUG-REPORT-TURFFX-AND-SQUARES.jpg

Adding TurfFX often produces this oversized raster effect. Using the smoothing tool (Plateau) to change the hill's contours changes the patter.

I have not installed TRS19 Plus yet.

CPU AMD 2950x GPU EVGA 11G-P4-2383-KR MEM 64GB Display 3820x1440
ATM nothing overclocked

Whats going on?

HF

Hi Horacefithers
Could you please confirm for me if your Trainz installation is build 100240?

When you say that the plateau tool changes the pattern, do you still see the squares or does it change to the normal blending of TurfFX?

Could you also please post the settings you are using for this Effect layer?

Regards

Hi Horacefithers
Could you please confirm for me if your Trainz installation is build 100240?

When you say that the plateau tool changes the pattern, do you still see the squares or does it change to the normal blending of TurfFX?

Could you also please post the settings you are using for this Effect layer?

Regards

Build 100240.

I double checked the plateau tool's effects. I stand corrected, The shading of the hillside changes, but the squares do not change.

TurfFX settings:
H-FITHERS-BUG-REPORT-TURFFX-AND-SQUARES-TurfSettings.jpg

Maybe this is the cause? I like to mix textures when making fields. A mixtures looks a LOT more natural than using the same texture over and over.

the above scene uses:

Meadow - Grass 4 (non PBR)
FX PBX Grass 02
and down by the tracks PBR Gravel 05 - Seasonal

Looking at the above image it looks as though the TurfFX grass is floating above the textured grass surface. Could the PBR texture's mapping of height to lower than the actual ground height be causing this behavior?
If so, is this fixable? Or will I need to not use TurfFX with PBR textures?

Cheers,
H.Fithers

Maybe the solution is to not mix PBR and non-PBR textures with turf-fx, but OK to mix several PBR textures with turf-fx.

I have no problem mixing Turf-FX with non PBR textures, may be wrong but I'm inclined to think think the OP's issue may be due to settings, as I have seen that happen once here but went away after I messed with the settings.

Try painting a PBR ground texture over the affected area.
If it cures the problem then it is probably the mixing of non- and PBR textures.
Mixing them causes a height difference in the ground surface where they meet.

Experimenting with PBR only texture, non-PBR only texture, and mixed textures and TurfFX.

When using ONLY PBR textures TurfFX behaved itself - NO more squares. This was true even when mixing multiple PBR textures.

When using ONLY non PBR textures TurfFX behaved itself - NO more suqares.

When mixing PBR and non-PBR textures the squares appeared.

So I guess I'll need to stop mixing the texture types.

This really sucks because there are places where I much prefer a non-PBR texture and others where I'd rather use a PBR texture.

Question: What if any rendering performance penalties are incurring when large amounts a PBR texturing are present?

Cheers if ya got 'em,

H. Fithers

Back