Database rebuilds frequently

GreyAreaUK

Evening all. Wondering if anyone can help me. A lot of the times I start Trainz (2019) it’s doing an asset check/database rebuild. Not every time, but roughly 40-50% of the time. Technically it’s doing it when I go into Content Manager, but that tends to be my first stop.

Any thoughts on why it’s doing this, and how to stop it? Disk space is fine.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
One reason is IF the program terminated abnormally. Program failed/crashed, customer terminated it from Windows, etc....
A rebuild is then called for assuming that the termination had the possibility of causing a database update to fail in the middle of its task.

Definitely not normal, only database rebuilds here are when I instigate them.

Slow disk might be a problem or more likely AV and any anti malware stuff with files being scanned on access and Windows search Indexing everything slowing down what is normally a quick and unnoticed function on starting up.

I exclude any folders related to Trainz from on access scanning.

If you visit content manager often the database rebuilds are good things because that is how the most recent x days of new additions to the download station get updated to your database. If I go to CM to see new stuff, I always initiate a database rebuild for that very purpose.

This can be caused by your antivirus program. Depending upon the brand, they can be quite aggressive and kill the EXE file and that can trigger a database repair because the database wan't closed cleanly. Yes that's the technical term for that issue. Internally the database manager will set a flag indicating that the database is hasn't been shutdown properly. When your start up again, the first thing that TRS19 wants to do is fix the database before doing anything else.

I recommend excluding your data-folder and your TRS19 exe from your antivirus real-time scanning. This will ensure the program and database are left aloe and not stomped on by the scanner.

Thanks guys. Just to add to the info though:

Slow disk: unlikely, it's an SSD.
Anti-virus: only Widows Defender, no other third party apps.
Trainz is always quit using the menu.

I seem to recall you can do a different, deeper database rebuild, so I'll Google how to do that and give it a try, but I'm also open to any other suggestion. The machine has a second SSD in it purely for backup purposes, so I could temporarily relocate the Trainz assets to there and see what happens.

Windows 10 Home, 16GB RAM, GTX1060 if that matters. Thanks all.

Thanks guys. Just to add to the info though:

Slow disk: unlikely, it's an SSD.
Anti-virus: only Widows Defender, no other third party apps.
Trainz is always quit using the menu.

I seem to recall you can do a different, deeper database rebuild, so I'll Google how to do that and give it a try, but I'm also open to any other suggestion. The machine has a second SSD in it purely for backup purposes, so I could temporarily relocate the Trainz assets to there and see what happens.

Windows 10 Home, 16GB RAM, GTX1060 if that matters. Thanks all.

No need to Google anything.

Press CTRL-key when selecting the database repair (Rebuild database) from Developer on the Launcher.

If an automatic one runs, let it finish first then do your Extended one using that key-sequence.

No need to Google anything.

Press CTRL-key when selecting the database repair (Rebuild database) from Developer on the Launcher.

If an automatic one runs, let it finish first then do your Extended one using that key-sequence.

Awesome, thank you. I’ll try that tonight.

Another point to ponder. Sometimes after closing the Sim, it takes a moment to clear out of the Task Mangers background task section. Try not to shut down the computer till this clears off.

Evening all. Wondering if anyone can help me. A lot of the times I start Trainz (2019) it’s doing an asset check/database rebuild. Not every time, but roughly 40-50% of the time. Technically it’s doing it when I go into Content Manager, but that tends to be my first stop.

Any thoughts on why it’s doing this, and how to stop it? Disk space is fine.

Many thanks.

I get the same thing happening in my TRS19 installation. It's like deja vu from the TS12 taddaemon and enforced database repair problems and almost as painfully inconvenient!

I'm sure it's a retrograde step as nothing like this happens in my T:ANE install.

Rob.

I get the same thing happening in my TRS19 installation. It's like deja vu from the TS12 taddaemon and enforced database repair problems and almost as painfully inconvenient!

I'm sure it's a retrograde step as nothing like this happens in my T:ANE install.

Rob.

They maybe painfully inconvenient, and yes they are, but it's an indication that something's going wrong that's causing the database to crash somehow.

Check the data folder (where you have your TRS19 data on your hard drive), for a crash dump file. This will show there's a program crash of some kind that caused the database repair to occur. It may happen on exit, and if it does, report it to the helpdesk. There are many causes of this problem including antivirus, bad content - something wrong with the actual content such as a bad script, or something is corrupted somewhere causing the crash.

Just a quick update - I did a deep clean (as I think of it) on Friday evening. Only had chance to load the game twice since, but so far it seems to have fixed the problem.

Another point to ponder. Sometimes after closing the Sim, it takes a moment to clear out of the Task Mangers background task section. Try not to shut down the computer till this clears off.

Learning this tip has helped me avoid frequent database repair sessions.

Back