new guy here

rgarber

I just bought Trainz 2019 North American edition and will I be able to know what DLC is compatible with it before buying?

For instance: would the Innter Kohn Nection NG Railroad by Philskene be compatible with the North American region package?

Thanks
Rich

Yes as the DLC packages contains everything needed and its a US route anyway.
You could add any DLC for any area to any local version.
And welcome to the forum.:)

Welcome to the forums and to Trainz, Rich.

It looks like Malc beat me to the post.

Are you the guy that created the old MSTS East Metro routes?

They and the old payware routes were among my favorites and I was thinking of recreating the routes in Trainz TRS19 someday utilizing actual DEM data for the terrain.

Yes as the DLC packages contains everything needed and its a US route anyway.
You could add any DLC for any area to any local version.
And welcome to the forum.:)

Ah, okay. Thanks much for that info. I wanted to pick up something while some DLC is on sale. And thanks for the welcome! - Rich

Welcome to the forums and to Trainz, Rich.

It looks like Malc beat me to the post.

Are you the guy that created the old MSTS East Metro routes?

They and the old payware routes were among my favorites and I was thinking of recreating the routes in Trainz TRS19 someday utilizing actual DEM data for the terrain.

That's me. I did routes as All Aboard http://www.allaboardrails.com for MSTS and Railworks for more or less 12 years and then fled the coop in very late 2012. During my Railworks days I had tried to do something of what Philskene does today but I wasn't aware it could be done. I tried with my Rascal & Cottonwood and my Colton & Northern routes as those routes modeled after layouts published in Jack Armstrong's 101 Model Railroad Layouts. My very first route in MSTS back in 2001 was a free-lanced version of track plan #11. For the past year and a half I've been trying to learn Blender (here's my site): http://allaboardrails.com/graphicwebsite/index.html I would like to combine what I can do in Blender with building layouts in Trainz. And thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated. I have a billion questions to get started. My first layout I would like to do is a model railroad layout I built in N scale back in the 90's. Are you familiar with the Trap & Garnet? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-Rail...rentrq:90e743e616b0ad4a6ba2dbc6ffb7e750|iid:1 (I hope the links works!). Thanks again for the greetings. - Rich

Hi Rich --

So you have finally made the jump. Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy the ride.

Before you begin your career as Chuck & Joe, my premier locomotive crew, you should see these two threads:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ion-Narrow-Gauge-Railroad-Model-Trainz-Layout

and:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...er-Kohn-Necktion-Railroad-Model-Trainz-Layout

Phil

Hey Phil, I thought you was out of the country or something. I PM'd you over at trainsim.com a couple of days ago this same question. But I thought I read somewhere you had left the country on vacation or work or something. I plan on scouring the layout forum to see how you guys make the layouts. But I need to also learn how to bring my own models into Trainz. You guys are always bragging Surveyor is easy to learn, I hope so. See ya in the forums and thanks for the greetings! - Rich

Hi Rich
I can confirm that all DLC packs in the Trainz Store that show 'TRS19' in the compatible with list will be compatible with all versions of TRS19, including the North American edition.

If a DLC pack requires another DLC pack to function, it will be marked in the description in the Trainz Store. However at the moment, the only DLC packs that require this will be a few locomotive sessions, and it will only be required for the sessions (specifically, the routes may be a separate DLC pack).

Regards

That's me. I did routes as All Aboard http://www.allaboardrails.com for MSTS and Railworks for more or less 12 years and then fled the coop in very late 2012. During my Railworks days I had tried to do something of what Philskene does today but I wasn't aware it could be done. I tried with my Rascal & Cottonwood and my Colton & Northern routes as those routes modeled after layouts published in Jack Armstrong's 101 Model Railroad Layouts. My very first route in MSTS back in 2001 was a free-lanced version of track plan #11. For the past year and a half I've been trying to learn Blender (here's my site): http://allaboardrails.com/graphicwebsite/index.html I would like to combine what I can do in Blender with building layouts in Trainz. And thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated. I have a billion questions to get started. My first layout I would like to do is a model railroad layout I built in N scale back in the 90's. Are you familiar with the Trap & Garnet? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-Rail...rentrq:90e743e616b0ad4a6ba2dbc6ffb7e750|iid:1 (I hope the links works!). Thanks again for the greetings. - Rich

I remember the Trap and Garnet Ridge. That's a nice portable route that really shows off the capabilities of N-scale. You'll be able to recreate this and nearly any route your heart desires in Trainz. Like anything creative, it takes time and experience but it's very doable.

Blender has a bit of a learning curve as you know. There's plenty of experienced users here so feel free to ask questions. There's also a direct plug-in for TRS19 so you can export your models directly to the Trainz TRS19 format using the FBX exporter.

Feel free to ask questions on Blender and Trainz. We will help you with every step of the the way.

Regards.

Rich --

"But I thought I read somewhere you had left the country on vacation or work or something."

Yes, I was on vacation. A few days in Vienna (the maximum temperature was just 8 degrees C the day after arrived), down through Slovenia to Trieste and then my wife and I were two of a total complement of 32 guests on a cruise down the Croatian coast.

How do us guys make model layouts? This was the seminal video for many of us:

The above uses the dig hole method for creating the floor and baseboard. I now use terra-forming and fascias. It's very much a personal choice which one to use. Each method has advantages and disadvantages.

Phil

Hi Rich
I can confirm that all DLC packs in the Trainz Store that show 'TRS19' in the compatible with list will be compatible with all versions of TRS19, including the North American edition.

If a DLC pack requires another DLC pack to function, it will be marked in the description in the Trainz Store. However at the moment, the only DLC packs that require this will be a few locomotive sessions, and it will only be required for the sessions (specifically, the routes may be a separate DLC pack).

Regards

Thanks! That clears things up quite a bit. - Rich

I remember the Trap and Garnet Ridge. That's a nice portable route that really shows off the capabilities of N-scale. You'll be able to recreate this and nearly any route your heart desires in Trainz. Like anything creative, it takes time and experience but it's very doable.

Blender has a bit of a learning curve as you know. There's plenty of experienced users here so feel free to ask questions. There's also a direct plug-in for TRS19 so you can export your models directly to the Trainz TRS19 format using the FBX exporter.

Feel free to ask questions on Blender and Trainz. We will help you with every step of the the way.

Regards.

That's amazing you remember the Trap & Garnet. I built it as per the instructions to cut up the 4'x 8' plywood into the three sections and all was well but those three pieces being 3/4" plywood made them heavy. But mine turned out pretty well though I never got too far along with it. My house at the time was fairly small and the hexagon shape though it was smaller still took up a bit of room so I had to abandon the project. I think I used 3rd Planit to help me devise some modifications to the trackwork. N scale is great but as I got older I couldn't see the details as well so I figured one day I'd build me a HO layout. Maybe someday. I am looking forward to taking a shot at this. I find the biggest issue I have with Blender is it almost offers too much. I haven't been able to say "I want to do this." Rather, I want to do everything. I just finished up a 1966 Cadillac Ambulance of the vintage station wagon variety. Let me see if I can get a picture of it in here....

a576c4c14a38.jpg

But I'd like to do architectural renderings so I'm also presently working on a subway scene. I've done tanks, cars, railroad stuff, homes, and I've also done a character I haven't finished yet. Maybe I wind up building routes again and it's back to building buildings again. I bought an add-on to Blender that would allow me to import my Sketchup buildings I did for my Railworks projects into Blender. It would be nice to finish up my Ohio Steel project or redo Ohio Rails which had a couple of steel mills on it. Anyway, thanks for the offer to ask questions - I got a million of 'em. - Rich

Last edited:
Rich --

"But I thought I read somewhere you had left the country on vacation or work or something."

Yes, I was on vacation. A few days in Vienna (the maximum temperature was just 8 degrees C the day after arrived), down through Slovenia to Trieste and then my wife and I were two of a total complement of 32 guests on a cruise down the Croatian coast.

How do us guys make model layouts? This was the seminal video for many of us:

The above uses the dig hole method for creating the floor and baseboard. I now use terra-forming and fascias. It's very much a personal choice which one to use. Each method has advantages and disadvantages.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I just watched that one and one that followed after it. Pretty intriguing process. Now let me ask you this if you don't mind. I noticed in your videos you don't really use the cab view much or at all. Is that on purpose? - Rich

Welcome to Trainz Rich. No 11 was the first route in MSTS that I really felt had realism. I also love the original freeware extended East Metro. I have made versions of No 11 for my own use (not good enough to upload I fear) and have started an effort to re-create East Metro but my abilities fail me. I would love to see it re-created in Trainz as it was a lovely transfer shortline.

apc2ap

Welcome to Trainz Rich. No 11 was the first route in MSTS that I really felt had realism. I also love the original freeware extended East Metro. I have made versions of No 11 for my own use (not good enough to upload I fear) and have started an effort to re-create East Metro but my abilities fail me. I would love to see it re-created in Trainz as it was a lovely transfer shortline.

Thanks Teddy. Well you go way back then to the early days of MSTS to remember that much about the Number 11. The East Metro was at its core Number 11 which then branched out both north and south to Big City and all the way up to Titan. I can't remember the name of the city that was in between. I wound up recreating the whole route a few years later from scratch, the East Metro Rebuild, and to me that was my best route of all my routes though many would argue Ohio Rails was. Either way the East Metro Rebuild was made -- then -- to compete with Rail Simulator (aka Railworks) and to do it I had to push the envelope with MSTS.

Yes Rich, I actually go further back than that. My first simulator was the Polish cab view one, whose name I've forgotten, with crude VGA graphics. I then moved on to the Japanese BVA cab view simulator with better graphics and then purchased MSTS when it came out but found the route editor just so difficult. It could have been so much better with a little more effort by the authors. I then moved on to Trainz and have been with it ever since although I also have Open Rail installed so I can still have a run along the East Metro for old times sake.

Back