Eagle River and PA Berwind

boleyd

I could only find a TANE version of the Pennsylvania Berwind route and that was on Jointed Rail. After replacing all the grim 4-sided vegetation, changed the track, changed ballast and disabled the Delay Signal (yellow) track marks it looks ok. However, it seems to be "dull" and not as real as a pure TRS19 route.

Is there a TRS19 version of the Pennsylvania Berwind route somewhere?

I also noticed the Eagle River route. Looked very interesting but it also was locked in TANE so I passed on that.

These two routes are quite appealing to me but the dull TANE versions are an issue. Need TRS19 versions - pay or free....

The Eagle River will load up fine in TRS19. I recommend replacing the cardboard trees and grass though. I'm sure Joe and Rich will be updating the routes as time goes on. Rich has an updated Coal Country on its way soon(tm).

2019-02-09 175819.jpg

2018-12-20 012034.jpg

What John said pretty much! Plenty of people have taken it as a chance to do their own tweaks to the route as they make it look good for TS19.
I've just finished a session for the Coal Country update so that is now ready to go, Eagle River is next but I am in no rush with that one.

Ok, Pa/Berwind done and works well inTR19. I have seen many of the videos on this route. Are those videos of the route that is on Jointed rail? I find a few odds and ends of 4 sided vegetation or some with two different colors - green and light brown. That is why we have Bulk Conversion. Bulk Convert also allows thinning the forest to improve frame rates. Make source and destination the same asset and set Bulk to delete the percentage you want removed.

Last edited:
Ok, Pa/Berwind done and works well inTR19. I have seen many of the videos on this route. Are those videos of the route that is on Jointed rail? I find a few odds and ends of 4 sided vegetation or some with two different colors - green and light brown. That is why we have Bulk Conversion. Bulk Convert also allows thinning the forest to improve frame rates. Make source and destination the same asset and set Bulk to delete the percentage you want removed.

May I ask...what asset you chose to replace the trees/forest with?I too would like to change the 4 sided trees to something else but I've never done a bulk convert.
Thanks in advance!

May I ask...what asset you chose to replace the trees/forest with?I too would like to change the 4 sided trees to something else but I've never done a bulk convert.
Thanks in advance!

I used similarly shaped trees and like species by RMM, Roy, and McGuirel.

The Eagle River will load up fine in TRS19. I recommend replacing the cardboard trees and grass though. I'm sure Joe and Rich will be updating the routes as time goes on. Rich has an updated Coal Country on its way soon(tm).

View attachment 1869

View attachment 1870

Steam appears to have Coal Country with a significant discount right now. The site implies it is for TRS19. I wonder if this is the updated one? Also, will a Steam download work on an existing installation from N3V? Does it just get put into the build, or does it construct a separate one?

Steam appears to have Coal Country with a significant discount right now. The site implies it is for TRS19. I wonder if this is the updated one? Also, will a Steam download work on an existing installation from N3V? Does it just get put into the build, or does it construct a separate one?

I don't know anything about the steam version and my gut feeling is this is just like N3V DLC and will end up locked. If anything get it from Jointed Rail where you can edit, merge, and fiddle to your heart's content.

I don't know anything about the steam version and my gut feeling is this is just like N3V DLC and will end up locked. If anything get it from Jointed Rail where you can edit, merge, and fiddle to your heart's content.
Correct - Steam follows the same rule that N3V has with their DLCs

Cheers

Correct - Steam follows the same rule that N3V has with their DLCs

Cheers

I would like further clarification. All my DLC has come through purchases of the full game. Are you saying that if I buy say Inner Kohn ... (by Philskene) from N3v that I cannot edit or clone it?

I would like further clarification. All my DLC has come through purchases of the full game. Are you saying that if I buy say Inner Kohn ... (by Philskene) from N3v that I cannot edit or clone it?

You can edit and create a locked clone, but you can't do anything else.

No, they are the exact same route but they are priced different - Quite dishonest from whoever decided to put the same route up for more money and put 2019 in the front. I did let N3V know and they said they had changed the pricing on the product to match. I would not recommend buying the route off steam at all :)

65997095_2343061682647846_33087633479434240_n.jpg

No, they are the exact same route but they are priced different - Quite dishonest from whoever decided to put the same route up for more money and put 2019 in the front.

65997095_2343061682647846_33087633479434240_n.jpg

That is what I thought, and that's my main reason for posting my comments. I do hope there will be a '19 version of this and Eagle River someday. I will look forward to buying them from N3V or JR.

So, would it be correct to state that routes purchased from JR, such as Coal Country and Eagle River, are not locked? But the same routes from N3v and Steam are locked? Seems odd?

I have the TANE version of the Pa/Berwind route running well in TRS19. Bulk replaced using mostly McGuirel trees. Some other trees are so stupidly bright that they look like a mistake. I did a Google Map tour of Canberra and did not see some of the outlandish coloring in their residential neighborhoods. So I do not know where the vendors got the stuff. Shapes look ok and the foliage is ok just the trunks and foliage coloring is far from the real trees I see from my windows.

So I settled on "mostly" McGuirel trees. The dark species look identical to the trees in Western, PA, USA. However, there are some which are bright and borderline unrealistic. You need SLIGHTLY brighter trees mixed in. You also need some trees with SLIGHTLY brown or yellow coloring. N3V seems to have a strong dependency on LOD to keep a larger customer base (FPS/$$$)happy. As a result their trees are too bright in sunlight and two/tone when in a partial shadow area. For some pine tree coverage (not the goofy bright stuff) I found a group from Jointed Rail. Old style and sort of sickly. However when not close to a road, or rail they do look good as a filler. Finally, by using mostly McGuirel trees you gain FPS since the number of meshes that has to be processed goes down reducing noticeably the FPS impact in forested areas.

Below you see mostly McGuirel trees. Note that the bright trees are not insanely bright and the is NO LOD 2-brightness EFFECT with McGuirel trees. At the bottom of the picture you can see the spindly pines from JR. Old 4 sided, but such thin foliage makes the "sided" effect difficult to see. I need to add some more to the area in the top left.
lod010.jpg

Last edited:
So, would it be correct to state that routes purchased from JR, such as Coal Country and Eagle River, are not locked? But the same routes from N3v and Steam are locked? Seems odd?

It's the way it is due to the DLC system being what it is. This is why I rarely download routes from N3V and purchase them outright from Jointed Rail.

In the past I have taken Midwest Grain, Cold Creek Logistics, and American Intermodal, and made them into one big route. I've merged this amalgamation into Dave Snow's Ozark Valley, and Deremmy's East Kentucky, and Evansville Routes. When Coal Country came out, I merged that into the East Kentucky end, and put the Pennsylvania and Berwind at the other end off of the Evansville route. It took a few tween boards and other fiddling to get it together, but the humongous route represents multiple operations with coal, intermodal, and passenger operations. When it runs, I've run it for well over 8 hours. The through AI trains move along while I do the local switching and branch line operations.

With my Eagle River, I combined this with JR's Legends of the BNSF 1 and BNSF 2, making my Northern Pacific Lines, which has intermodal, coal, and lumber operations. This route too can run for hours as I focus on different parts of the route and interact with the AI.

With that said, this would be impossible to do with the locked down DLC versions of any of these routes.

It's the way it is due to the DLC system being what it is. This is why I rarely download routes from N3V and purchase them outright from Jointed Rail.

In the past I have taken Midwest Grain, Cold Creek Logistics, and American Intermodal, and made them into one big route. I've merged this amalgamation into Dave Snow's Ozark Valley, and Deremmy's East Kentucky, and Evansville Routes. When Coal Country came out, I merged that into the East Kentucky end, and put the Pennsylvania and Berwind at the other end off of the Evansville route. It took a few tween boards and other fiddling to get it together, but the humongous route represents multiple operations with coal, intermodal, and passenger operations. When it runs, I've run it for well over 8 hours. The through AI trains move along while I do the local switching and branch line operations.

With my Eagle River, I combined this with JR's Legends of the BNSF 1 and BNSF 2, making my Northern Pacific Lines, which has intermodal, coal, and lumber operations. This route too can run for hours as I focus on different parts of the route and interact with the AI.

With that said, this would be impossible to do with the locked down DLC versions of any of these routes.

I appreciate the clarification and description of possible new opportunities. I was previously trying to piece together bits of information.

I just connected the Eagle River RR with the Pennsylvania and Berwind. Juanita is in the distance at the left. Thanks for your recommendations about the JR routes. Having fun editing and joining the routes. "Haven't had this much fun since the pigs ate my brother."

Cutoff-Eagle-River-RR-to-Juanita-%28Pennsylvania-and-Berwind.jpg

Back