Importing assets from 2017

autodctr

Just purchased and installed 2019. I have a bunch of stuff that I previously downloaded and would love to transfer these items to 2019 w/o spending days to download it all over again. Is there a way to do that?

Hi autodctr!

Unless the content you wish to install/import into TRS19 from 2017 is official DLC and will thus install itself, I believe the only way is to make .cdps in TMR2017 and then import them
into TRS19.

If what you are looking to install in TRS19 from 2017 is N3V official DLC than you should be able to set TRS19 to do so (if it does not do so automatically) by starting TRS19 and at the startup/opening screen find Instruct TRS19 to download purchased items/assets/content, and then quit and restart. Not on TRS19 at the moment so these are not exact commands/settings verbatim but hopefully will suffice (TRS19 is still new to me/vice-versa).

It may not seem like a benefit or feature but importing into TRS19 via .cdp -- in smaller chunks and pieces -- allows easier checking of the content that you transfer/import as you go; older content requires a bit of checking, testing, etc when importing into TRS19 though TMR2017 content may not.

Also there is a limit of .cdp import size for TRS19 being less than 1 GB if I understand correctly.

Hope that helps until a Trainz/TRS19 vet can offer more thorough explanations or insights.
Best of luck!

Owen

Last edited:
Well, neither one is working. I did try to import a saved layout, and it knida was working, but it was trying to download all kinds of assets from the DLC. I assumed, maybe wrongly, that what would actually happen would be for it to merely copy from my 2017 install.

When you save your route you do not save the route dependencies. If you want to transfer the dependencies as well as the route you have to list the dependencies, save them (they can all go in one .cdp file) and then import that .cdp file.

In practice, it is better to transfer the route (cdp is fine - the official way is more complex than necessary) and allow it to download what is missing. Then list the missing dependencies for the route. Copy the KUID list from TRS2019 CM into the KUID list for 2017 CM, and create a CDP from the list, and move that cdp to TRS2019. Because of some incompatibilities between the two versions there might be a small number of route problems remaining - it is easiest to fix that by editing the route.

Well, borrowing bits and pieces from all of your replies, I have managed to get quite a few assets transferred. This took a few hours of getting missing dependencies. Thanks to those who replied.

Seriously, there HAS to be a better way than this. There just has to be. I still have not managed to get one layout from 2017 transferred into 2019. Assets that worked before no longer work and no reason given many times. They are shown as missing dependencies, but when you click on them to list the dependencies, all are good and current.

Well, borrowing bits and pieces from all of your replies, I have managed to get quite a few assets transferred. This took a few hours of getting missing dependencies. Thanks to those who replied.

Seriously, there HAS to be a better way than this. There just has to be. I still have not managed to get one layout from 2017 transferred into 2019. Assets that worked before no longer work and no reason given many times. They are shown as missing dependencies, but when you click on them to list the dependencies, all are good and current.

I agree it has to be easier.

The issue you are running into most likely has to do with the version of assets. TMR2017 has a different version asset built-in than what's either downloaded or included in TRS2019. In other versions other than T:ANE and TRS2019, it didn't matter what version of an asset you had in one route then imported the route into a different install, but for some reason, when importing routes, the referenced assets in the config.txt file look at the asset version part of the KUID as well. What this does now is cause Trainz to report a missing dependency when importing a route from a CDP even if the newer version of an asset is already installed.

Here's an example:

In your route you have an asset with <KUID2:124535:1642:1>, which is a made up KUID. :)

Everything is fine in this route and it shows no missing dependencies in the original Trainz version where it resides. You save the route to a CDP and import it into the other version and now the same route shows missing dependencies even though these same assets are installed except the version of an asset is not exactly the same, meaning <KUID2:124535:1642:2>. In my opinion, this is a bug that needs to be addressed and should be reported if it hasn't been already.

You can solve this by playing with asset versions, but that's a bit much to include in this post here, or if you want you can use the delete missing assets in Surveyor and replace the missing ones from your route with similar ones from the DLS.

Now there's another gotcha to look for as well. If you have any previously installed assets and you've imported dependencies, you may have some assets that are open for edit and this can cause the report of missing dependencies as well. Check open for edit in Content Manager, and revert any open assets.

On another note, after importing a lot of content, I recommend exiting from Content Manager and running a defrag on your hard disk if it's not an SSD. Once done, run a database repair to "button" things down, and hopefully you can continue where you left off.

I have not managed to get any layout imported yet. I got a few assets from the layout to import, though. And of course, the ones that I really wanted don't work. Some do, most don't. Very aggravating and time consuming.

I have not managed to get any layout imported yet. I got a few assets from the layout to import, though. And of course, the ones that I really wanted don't work. Some do, most don't.

After you import anything, check if any assets are open for edit. If they are then revert them to original. This is the most likely cause of problems with assets.

For assets that have errors check if newer versions are available on the DLS. Also, list obsolete assets and delete them - the advice for many years has been that there is no need to delete obsolete assets, but a bug in T:ane and TRS2019 (which might not exist in 2017) means that an obsolete asset can cause its dependants to show as faulty, even after they have been updated to work correctly with the newer dependency.

Are you talking about the builtin routes from TMR2017?

If so, then you cannot "import" them. You have to download the packages - which is extremely easy. Click Download and they are installed error free.

If you have imported the route, then the KUID is installed and the download won't show up. I suggest creating a new local data folder, download and install all the TMR packages. Once downloaded and installed you will be able to copy those packages from the new folder into your current content folder, then run a db repair. Revert to original to replace the stuff you tried to import manually.

If you're talking about your own routes, then the same process will be needed to get all the builtin content installed correctly, then your routes won't be missing anything.

Are you talking about the builtin routes from TMR2017?

If so, then you cannot "import" them. You have to download the packages - which is extremely easy. Click Download and they are installed error free.

If you have imported the route, then the KUID is installed and the download won't show up. I suggest creating a new local data folder, download and install all the TMR packages. Once downloaded and installed you will be able to copy those packages from the new folder into your current content folder, then run a db repair. Revert to original to replace the stuff you tried to import manually.

If you're talking about your own routes, then the same process will be needed to get all the builtin content installed correctly, then your routes won't be missing anything.

Actually, I have completely given up on trying to import my previously built routes: there are soooo many errors that it just isn't woth my time. Since early yesterday, for most of yesterday and a good part of today, I am dealing with missing dependencies on probably everything that I ever downloaded from the DLS. These are assets that worked just fine in 2017, but now have sooo many issues in 2019. Missing dependencies, obsolete KUIDs, etc. I was playing solitaire while waiting for these dependencies to take their good old time downloading at 8kbs on my super fast internet (175mbs). However, waiting on solitaire was as painful as waiting for my downloads: why in the world do I have to watch ads on an operating system that I paid for and own? Anyhow, with my computer hijacked from doing anything else (I use Linux for everything except Trainz), I thought that I would wonder in here and see what was happening. (I keep going back to see what the next dependencied are that I need. I only have 13 more assets to do and I have had to delete at least a dozen assets because what I need are obsolete now. These worked in 2017.)

Let me say one more time that I love this program: I really do. However, after going through what I have gone through for the las day and a half, I believe that Tranz2019 will be my last. I will live with what I have and be satisfied with that. It is just not worth all the trouble. Had I known what was in store for me, I would never have purchased 2019.

Actually, I have completely given up on trying to import my previously built routes: there are soooo many errors that it just isn't woth my time. Since early yesterday, for most of yesterday and a good part of today, I am dealing with missing dependencies on probably everything that I ever downloaded from the DLS. These are assets that worked just fine in 2017, but now have sooo many issues in 2019. Missing dependencies, obsolete KUIDs, etc. I was playing solitaire while waiting for these dependencies to take their good old time downloading at 8kbs on my super fast internet (175mbs). However, waiting on solitaire was as painful as waiting for my downloads: why in the world do I have to watch ads on an operating system that I paid for and own? Anyhow, with my computer hijacked from doing anything else (I use Linux for everything except Trainz), I thought that I would wonder in here and see what was happening. (I keep going back to see what the next dependencied are that I need. I only have 13 more assets to do and I have had to delete at least a dozen assets because what I need are obsolete now. These worked in 2017.)

Let me say one more time that I love this program: I really do. However, after going through what I have gone through for the las day and a half, I believe that Tranz2019 will be my last. I will live with what I have and be satisfied with that. It is just not worth all the trouble. Had I known what was in store for me, I would never have purchased 2019.

Couple of things here, or maybe more... :)

I recommend setting up Content Manager as follow:

Enable all columns.

I put them in the following order:
Type, Status, Name, Asset ID, Build Version, Author Name, File Size, Modification Date, installation Date, and Upload Date. Once in that order, I resized so I can fit them on a screen.

With the columns like this, I can quickly sort up and down depending upon the need. Type and Status being the most important when it comes to repairs while the date columns coming into play when updating assets.

Create the following filters:

Faulty-only.

Modify the faulty filter by clicking on the little down arrow next to the filter. Remove everything but Faulty = true . (The equal sign being implied in the True/False binary switch). Save this.

What this will do is reduce the amount of faulty versus stuff that's missing dependencies causing faulty. You can also create a Missing Dependencies filter only if you want.

Two very useful custom filters:

Out of date.
Installed = True
Out of date = True.

Obsolete AND NOT Built-in.
Obsolete = True
Built-in = False

Check the Out of Date often - I do it daily in fact because there's a lot of stuff updated that I have installed. Recently there was a ton of assets updated. Note you may have to go to asset versions on built-in and payware assets and download them there. This is a safety check to ensure stuff isn't automatically overwritten.

Once everything is updated, change to your Obsolete and not built-in filter. You can delete the stuff in there because it's no longer needed.

If you are getting the slow download, ensure you have enabled your First Class Ticket if you haven't already. You do this on your My Trainz account on the web. You can only enable a single ticket at a time. You'll see a substantially better download with an FCT.

This process may or may not help with your route issue, but it doesn't hurt to do things this way anyway. Setting up the filters and your interface this way, also helps in spotting errors and problems right away so stuff doesn't get lost in the mess. As you probably now, having too much information thrown at you is as bad as having too little.

N3V has discussed coming out with a Linux version eventually. Whatever flavor they choose, we don't know because it's in the early stages right now. Having used various flavors myself, it would be a nice option to have. I use the Bash shell for my command line work all the time in Windows 10, and I worked with Solaris for years and even ran a small Solaris server at home for nearly 10 years before I retired the hardware.

If you want, post the errors up here in the forums, (You can highlight, copy, and paste them) and we'll take a look at the problems. It maybe something easy to fix. Keep in mind that built-in assets may have problems - there is a method to fix those, but payware/DLC can't be copied over.

Wow. Thanks, John for the info.

I do not have a FCT and probably never will. Trainz is obviously slowing down the speed to make me get one, but that isn't going to happen. Perhaps, if I were wanting to download a route, I would almost have to get one then (or start the download before I left for a vacation out of the country) but for now, I have pretty much everything that I want or need.

After I get a few things done around the house, I may look into your post a little further if my head quits spinning. :)

Back