Should i stick to TS12 / T:ANE or should i buy Trainz 2019 ?

I read TS12 is no longer supported by the devs , T:ANE will receive another SP , and as i see Trainz 2019 still in some kind of beta phase .

I'm not a graphics whore , i have an HD7850 card so the Nvidia Turf Effects doesn't interest me .

Which one of these three games is more polished / stable ?
Which one of these three games is more popular in the user base ?

I read TS12 is no longer supported by the devs , T:ANE will receive another SP , and as i see Trainz 2019 still in some kind of beta phase .

I'm not a graphics whore , i have an HD7850 card so the Nvidia Turf Effects doesn't interest me .

Being honest, from experiences here... I'd say go with TRS2019, because it runs better on the same computer that I was running T:ANE on. TS12 is okay, if you want to stick with it. Many others users still have that and OLDER versions, regardless of no dev support.

As for which is more 'polished /stable', I'd say TRS2019 seems very polished, but all three are stable. Just not a lot of fun when TS12 goes through a database fit of any sorts, and that usually is not a quick one.

About the popularity in the user base, that's some kind of a statistic that the software creator should be able to provide. You could try conduction a poll yourself for this answer, if this is a function allowed and built into the forums.

TRS2019 is what T:ANE was supposed to be but never got there due to many reasons. There's a lot of things fixed in there as well as some nice features with a lot of nice ones in the development queue.

Performance wise, I find TRS2019 much better performing compared to T:ANE on exactly the same hardware. The graphics are better, smoother, and the program is just faster.

Thank you for the replies . I decided to give a try of Trainz 2019 and subscribed to the gold membership .

Now downloading it via the online installer but the download speed is extremely slow . ( only 1.8 MiB / sec on a 1000 Mbit/s line )

So if TS19 doesn't accept TS12 stuff, then I take it that all of the reskinning I'm doing of buildings, locos and rolling stock for my TS12 is for nothing should I eventually acquire TS19 and the TS12 items aren't compatible with it? Correct me if I'm wrong please. Yet I was thinking of just getting T:ANE - but I hear it has bugs that TS19 doesn't have. So we'll see..

Last edited:
So if TS19 doesn't accept TS12 stuff, then I take it that all of the reskinning I'm doing of buildings, locos and rolling stock for my TS12 is for nothing should I eventually acquire TS19 and the TS12 items aren't compatible with it? Correct me if I'm wrong please. Yet I was thinking of just getting T:ANE - but I hear it has bugs that TS19 doesn't have. So we'll see..

Actually it does accept it. Some stuff might need fixing, but most of it comes in fine. I imported old routes as far back as TRS2004 and they look better, but still have the same issues with the routes I had back in TRS2004 like my awful track laying. :)

Your best bet is to install the program, download any DLC, and then check for updates before importing routes and content. Then bring in only what you are using by starting with routes and sessions because they will grab the dependencies from the DLS. Anything else that's missing can be imported using the usual CDP and importing methods. Once imported, check for content updates again on the DLS to get any updated assets because the CRG has been busy updating assets to work without errors.

If there are any faulty assets, go through and clean them up. The errors are pretty simple usually and are mostly related to config.txt errors and some texture issues. You will occasionally run into a script or mesh problem, but those are pretty rare.

Actually it does accept it. Some stuff might need fixing, but most of it comes in fine. I imported old routes as far back as TRS2004 and they look better, but still have the same issues with the routes I had back in TRS2004 like my awful track laying. :)

Your best bet is to install the program, download any DLC, and then check for updates before importing routes and content. Then bring in only what you are using by starting with routes and sessions because they will grab the dependencies from the DLS. Anything else that's missing can be imported using the usual CDP and importing methods. Once imported, check for content updates again on the DLS to get any updated assets because the CRG has been busy updating assets to work without errors.

If there are any faulty assets, go through and clean them up. The errors are pretty simple usually and are mostly related to config.txt errors and some texture issues. You will occasionally run into a script or mesh problem, but those are pretty rare.

Ok, sounds good. Ten four. Thanks for the detailed response John. It helped put things into perspective in my assessment.

- Thomas (RR70)

I will think the new interface alone makes TRS2019 worth it. It's great to be able to see the elevation of the track ahead and when it inclines / declines before you get to it. Same with any traffic signals.

Glad i seen this thread as ive been away a long time.

I was thinking of getting TS19 but just wanted to wait abit and hope theres a sale soon as money is burning a hole in my pants.

Regards,

Glad i seen this thread as ive been away a long time.

I was thinking of getting TS19 but just wanted to wait abit and hope theres a sale soon as money is burning a hole in my pants.

Regards,
Well, you did miss the sale on N3V's site, but you can grab it on sale on Steam since Steam is having their summer sale until the 9 of July.
IDK when the next sale will happen for TRS19..

Cheers

I find TANE is much more laptop friendly than TRS2019. One of the upgrades to the latter seems to have put it into "heater" mode with the fans going berserk. TANE, by contrast not pushing the hardware nearly so hard. So while TANE might not look anywhere near as pretty, it will do for plodding around building the odd fictional route or model railway style project. If I lose out on using some of the later '19 only assets then, hey ho. Most of the default rolling stock in '19 is older than TANE anyway so no great loss there!

All my Uk rolling stock models on the DLS were made in TS2012 and I use them without any problems in TS2019. I intend to keep on using TS2012 in this way until N3V finally pulls the plug on DLS uploads because it's just plain easier to make good functional rolling stock in TS2012 whereas TS2019 is a nightmare for such things.

Even though I have TS2019 I still use TS2012 all the time to run routes I've made that would be just too difficult to transfer across to TS2019. What I like about TS2012 is that it just does what it says on the tin and while it does have its faults at least they are all known ones and aren't likely to get changed overnight into something even more odd by a patch or upgrade as has happened in recent times with TANE and TS2019.

I'm not knocking TS2019 by the way. Some of my old favourite TS2004 routes have been completely transformed by it and I'm enjoying them all over again.

I keep using TS12 as it is far better for content creators - Content creators are very let done in TRS19

All my Uk rolling stock models on the DLS were made in TS2012 and I use them without any problems in TS2019. I intend to keep on using TS2012 in this way until N3V finally pulls the plug on DLS uploads because it's just plain easier to make good functional rolling stock in TS2012 whereas TS2019 is a nightmare for such things.

Back