Do any Trainzers here model any part of the state of Oklahoma?

JonMyrlennBailey

I just moved into Lawton, OK in early May. There is a railroad track that runs through the town here but I don't know what the road name is.

It is pretty much flat and boring in the Plains States. I don't think routes/layouts of the Plains States or the Great Lakes States would be very interesting. You have to have mountains, hills, valleys, bodies of water, forests and canyons to make scenery interesting: some topo relief.

I don't think any edition of Trainz has any tornado or flash flood weather effects to boot.

Last edited:
I just moved into Lawton, OK in early May. There is a railroad track that runs through the town here but I don't know what the road name is.

It is pretty much flat and boring in the Plains States. I don't think routes/layouts of the Plains States or the Great Lakes States would be very interesting. You have to have mountains, hills, valleys, bodies of water, forests and canyons to make scenery interesting: some topo relief.

I don't think any edition of Trainz has any tornado or flash flood weather effects to boot.

I've been on/off modeling a fictionalization of an undetermined part of Oklahoma for the past year or so. It doesn't really resemble anything, just some random stuff I threw together.

Matt

It depends upon which part of OK you live in. Eastern Oklahoma on the border with Missouri and Arkansas is quite hilly with lots of trees. The terrain there is similar to that corner of TX as well but farther south in TX. If you go far west, it does get quite flat, but up near the Kansas border in some parts the terrain is all rolling hills, and similarly south near the Texas border it's not flat at all with the rolling hills.

I know because I've storm chased throughout the region both in person and virtually since May 2008.

There railroad through there is the Northwestern Oklahoma Railroad. The abandoned line that ran south used to be the ROCK.

Last edited:
Well, John, I have no interest in modeling any part Oklahoma myself. Yes, it looks FLAT here in spite of rolling hills in contrast with the "Big Mountains", "Big Deserts", "Big Canyons", "Big Sky", "Wild Rivers" and "Big Forests" of the West. I tend to find "Big Mountain" western railroading most enjoyable. I lived in the West most of my life and it's what I know personally.

Last edited:
Well, John, I have no interest in modeling any part Oklahoma myself. Yes, it looks FLAT here in spite of rolling hills in contrast with the "Big Mountains", "Big Desserts", "Big Canyons", "Big Sky", "Wild Rivers" and "Big Forests" of the West. I tend to find "Big Mountain" western railroading most enjoyable. I lived in the West most of my life and it's what I know personally.

Yes it does look flat in relation to other areas and very naked too to me coming from the New England with its rolling hills and a gazillion or more trees everywhere.

Back