Simple Train Sim Survey

JIb228

Multiplayer Guru
I'm writing a short paper on Train sims and need more responses to this survey to make a more complete and accurate data set. And while I am collecting this basic information, I am not collecting e-mails. But you do need to have a gmail account to fill it out. This is to prevent one person form filling it out 200 times with false information.

Link to the Google form. https://forms.gle/zk94NDVwyzv3ueDS8

Thanks in advance.

Interesting survey in that it assumes one plays with a SIM fine but there are other related activities such as content creation.

It wouldn't let me complete the survey by the way.

Cheerio John

Interesting survey in that it assumes one plays with a SIM fine but there are other related activities such as content creation

Survey completed and submitted but I agree with John. Most (nearly all) of my "Sim play" is creating sessions and routes.

I don't 'play' Trainz, it is my hobby and I only use Trainz as a tool to allow my creative urges and provide my interest in Trains generally. I have never had a desire to try the others. Trainz has kept me interested and involved for 17 years.

Narrowgauge

You have missed driving sims (like rFactor, Assetto Corsa, PCars,...).

I should have just put an option for "Other" in the last question. I'll admit that's my bad.

One interesting I am noting here though. I made an identical survey for Flight Sims, I just worded it for flight sims and listed a few of the flight sims I know of. But what I have seen is that the Train sim communities have been the most vocal about issues. "Its lacking this or that." "I don't want to have to sign into google." "I am incapable of filling this out to the best of my knowledge change it for me."

Well "Train Spotters" are a totally different breed to "Plane Spotters". In my experience more fanatical and they tend to "count rivets" more than any other hobbyists (sorry I meant "life-stylists").

Well that lasted a long time. Went to fill out the survey and found it had finished.

Anyhow, in a nutshell:
Trainz - for route development (90%), rarely drive other than to test as the experience generally inferior.
MSTS/Open Rails for driving (60%). (Route development 10%).
Railworks aka DTG-TS for driving (25%). (Route development now 0%).
Trainsim World for driving (10%). (No route editor).
Others (OpenBVE, Zusi, DRS, DV etc.) for driving (5%). (No or incomprehensible route editors).

Hopefully this may help.

Well that lasted a long time. Went to fill out the survey and found it had finished.

I specifically ran it for 72 hours with a set patter of distribution. Friday at 7am PST I posted it to r/Trainsim on Reddit. Satruday at 7am PST I posted it to American Rail Simulator group on Facebook. And then 7am PST I posted it here with the survey ending Monday at 7am PST. Once I pull the data I need from this, I'll be reopning it permanently to continue to collect data. So check back in a few hours.

Back