texture wrapping

RichardNZ

I am building a model in blender for use in tranz 2019 ves 4.6
I am having a problem when I use a small texture on a large area of the model.
Bricks on a wall.
I have tried with a simple texture - .m.onetex , and also the new type - .m.pbrmetal
I keep getting a problem with the texture not covering the whole wall
I am using Blender ver 2.79 and am exporting in FBX 7.4 format
I can look at the model with open3mod at it seemed to be fine
I modified the texture.txt files and added - Tile=st -
This made a difference but did not fix the problem
Something seems to change when the model is converted to the trainz.mesh file
Richard

You need a seamless texture that will wrap when the UV map extends beyond the image in the UV Editor. Since it is a bricks and mortar image I suggest you try the tbumpenv material since it works very well with brick textures and stone walls. You will need a normal map but there are several (free) products that will produce a decent normal. PEV's Images2TGA available at Shane Turner's website will do the job.

Ashampoo_Snap_Sunday%2016%20June%202019_19h31m35s_001__zpsyoxbbv3k.png

I believe the texter I am using is fine
I works on the model when exported as by trainz exporter for ver 4.5 but the same model and texter plays up when exported by FBX for ver 4.6

Are you using indexed mesh (IM) files or FBX? You need FBX if you want to use PBRMetal.

However, you can get very good results with IM files and a tbmpenv material.

You need to provide more information about your problem since there are many ways an asset can be faulty. Anything that works in TANE with a onetex material should still work in TRS19 although the appearance may be different.

I'm using the IM file for the 4.5 ver and using the FBX for the 4.6 ver
i am using the stranded onetex material to try to keep things the same
In the 4.6 ver some sections are simply missing
sorry, i cant figure out how to add a screen shot

Well, I wasn't even close with my analysis. :)

I took the liberty of importing your LOD0 mesh into Blender and you have some very odd shaped faces there. Unlike the IM (XML) exporter, the FBX version doesn't automatically triangulate polygons into triangles. That would explain many of the errors I saw on importing the asset. I suggest you either triangulate each faces that needs it or add a Triangulate modifier. The FBX exporter will apply modifiers on export and you can leave the modifier in place. That can be handy at times.

You are using onetex for some materials when they should be notex since you have no texture. I saw that on the window frames. Perhaps unnecessary but I would correct it.

Your config is missing a mesh-detail-level-count tag so I added one and set it to 3. The mesh-table-lod-transition-distances are probably a bit small and I'd probably start with 100 and 300 noting you should have one less entry than the number of actual lod entries in the mesh-table.

There appear to be some missing faces on the brickwork on the front of the building and elsewhere and I suspect this is the problem you originally reported. The reason for this is not obvious as it should work but I suspect it might be caused by the non triangulation.

Thanks Paul

It was the triangles that were causing the problem. i had removed most of them as I thought I was better to have less faces, but I had gone too far.
Now that I know what is going on, I will fix it and change back to the PBR textures.

On another matter, do you know of a program that will take a highly detailed model (a wall with individual bricks) and generate the 3 texture files for use with the PBR system?

Thanks again

Richard

On another matter, do you know of a program that will take a highly detailed model (a wall with individual bricks) and generate the 3 texture files for use with the PBR system?

If you mean individual bricks each of which is a mesh then no. However, you could paint each brick and then bake a diffuse (colour) texture for use on a lower poly mesh wall. Brick and stone walls have such high definition then I'm not sure its worth the effort.

But, if you mean using that brick wall texture for Trainz PBR then have a look at Materialize which will create most of what you need. See this post from yesterday. For roughness map try the smoothness option. There are a couple of Materialize websites but you want the one by Bounding Box Software.

You can use GIMP to combine the channels for the normal and parameter textures. See http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_To/Use_GIMP_to_create_a_PBRMetal_parameters_image

A couple of us are also playing with some Blender addons for Blender 2.80. These include SimpleBake, Extreme PBR, and Rapid PBR Material Creator. Some of these are payware but very cheap payware.

Cayden has a tutorial on his web site and I might add something to the Trainz WiKi at some point if Cayden hasn't already covered it.

Back