Help with a Thomas Image

Talixmer

Hi

I'm trying to help someone who loves Trainz and Thomas.

He is trying to use TTTE Funnel-Smoke (kuid2:217537:100259:3)
When we use Steam to view this file(?) it shows smoke.
When we view the same file in Trainz, we see Thomas. Completely different image than what was shown on Steam.

Is this a fluke? How can I make the image that is seen in Steam visible in Trainz?

I have never played this game before and am only acting as a 'Tech Support' rep. Please keep this in mind when replying :)
Thanks!!
Bill

He is trying to use TTTE Funnel-Smoke (kuid2:217537:100259:3)
When we use Steam to view this file(?) it shows smoke.
When we view the same file in Trainz, we see Thomas. Completely different image than what was shown on Steam.
That asset is the smoke, not the engine. That smoke could be used with any number of different engines. In TRS2019 it is used with the QR PB15. The image you saw in Steam might be that engine. Or it might be a completely different engine.

What exactly is your user trying to do?

Hi.

My user wants to use the smoke for his trains.
When he looks up 'funnel smoke' in the game, he sees an image of Thomas.
If I open the launching splash screen, click on Content Manager, Filter to All Items and look up 'funnel smoke', I see smoke.
I honestly don't know a thing about this Sim, so I started playing around. When I used 'funnel smoke' on a new train I got smoke.

My user is autistic and may have just fixated on the fact that Thomas was there instead of the image of smoke he expected, which caused him to get upset. Mom brought it to me to try and help because she was at wits end, to which I panicked and ended up here.

I thank you for your response.

My user wants to use the smoke for his trains.
In Trainz, the smoke and the locomotive can be two separate things. You can use a particular smoke asset with a particular locomotive asset by referencing the smoke asset from the configuration file ('config.txt') of the locomotive asset. It appears that this might the case for your assets. The more common arrangement is to define the smoke characteristics using specific feature definitions. In either case, the smoke can be copied from one locomotive to another.

A locomotive configuration file is described here: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/KIND_Traincar

The smoke might be defined in the individual 'smoke-...' tags described there, or it might be defined in a smoke container: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"Smoke"_container (Jump straight to the example at the bottom, and only go back to the detail for items that aren't obvious from the example).

To get some particular smoke effect the procedure would be:
-Identify the loco that has the effect you want.
-Identify the loco that you want to add the effect to.
-Open / Edit config file text for each asset.
-Compare how smoke was done for each loco.
-Have a go at implementing the smoke you want in the loco that doesn't have it.

For information on finding the assets that you want to change, and opening the config file for editing, see: http://oldhome.trainztutorials.com/index.php?page=getting-started (there are many others).

Note that built-in and payware assets usually cannot be edited. If you get as far as steps 1 and 2 you could ask if someone could do the remaining three steps for you.

Hi,

I'm the author of that asset. The file you were trying to open is the smoke used on my Thomas model which is not released yet. However, you can check out the website I run which may have some Thomas friends your user may want to use. https://www.sodorworkshops.com/ Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,
Brendan

SailorDan - Thanks for that info. It helped a lot. My wife was able to use that and to better understand the game. She's a programmer and I'm more Hardware/Tech Support. Anyway, thank you!

GDennish - No problems. Your web site is going to be visited. A lot :)

Thanks for all the help.

Back